Which is more important?!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kleine Teufel

Reaction score
So, I've read a bit and went to a seminar thing about SEO (search engine optimization ie getting listed higher on the search engines). What I'm not sure of though, is that they say one of the best things is to use "search words" for your domain name (goatmilk-soap.com). Now, is that more important, to be placed as high up as possible on the search engines, or is it more important to have your company name as your domain?

Supposedly the "generic" web name is better for search engines, because it helps "optimize" the site when people are searching for any of the words in your name, even over the words in your titles.

I used to be an Internet marketing consultant (well, I still am but am taking a hiatus ...).

If you tell me what domains you're trying to choose between I might be able to offer a second opinion?

Choose the domain that will best represent your company over the long haul. If you can include keywords great. But if they don't really "fit" your brand or would be hard to type into a browser or remember, you want to consider that.

How will you be marketing your soap, predominantly?

One reason keywords can be handy in a domain is because the "anchor text" used in inbound links (pointing to your site) is given some weight by the search engine algorithms. It's not EVERYTHING but it can be a solid boost.

On the other hand, the quality of the content ON your site is the MOST important thing. (Don't let a slick marketer tell ya different ;) )

HTH!
Karri

Back