What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@penelopejane Thank you for your advice :)

The strange thing is that I checked the fragrance oil chart an hour ago or so, just to see if I found some new reviews on Eroma scents, and I read your listing for Moroccan Spice, and I thought, hmm, doesn't I have that one? I checked just now, and I do have it! I can't add reviews in that chart before I have a recipe that I have some experience with, since I don't know what exactly what makes thing thicken so fast, is it the fragrance, the oils, the additives, the temperature? I have a better chance of judging how the scent behaves if I have a recipe that I make on a regular basis and know how it is supposed to behave. I think I will be there very soon, hopefully.

I have planned the design of my next soap, with rapeseed wax in addition to soy wax (so it will probably move even quicker). I think I can quickly pour off a some batter and use TD in the main batter, and pour the uncoloured one back into the bowl as a drop swirl, and quickly get it in the mold. Simple and easy that does not take long time at all. I think the discolouration to dark brown will be nice when it is swirled with some lighter brown. Probably not a showstopper of a soap, but it doesn't have to be, and I think it will suit the spicy type of scent. Moroccan Spice, the name is really appealing.

Okey, now I became so curious I ran out to the other room and grabbed Egyptian Oud and Moroccan Spice. I had not opened Egyptian Oud (do I need to say that I hate that foil thing that seals the bottle? Impossible to get off without spilling everywhere). Oh, I love Egyptian Oud, very lovely. But, I see that it can be very annoying in the long run too. Like headache-maker. Reminds me of some sort of make-up type of smell. I like it, but I don't see where I can use it, since like masculine or unisex scents better. And I will for sure get a headache from it.

Luckily Moroccan Spice was opened already. I can't recall that I have smelled it before, but I guess I have since it was opened. But why haven't I used it before? A mystery. But wow! What a scent! I absolutely love it! Deeply love it! And this one will not give me headache (I can notice such things immediately). But I have to rethink my design. Moroccan Spice is nothing as I imagined it to be. It is much better, and much different. Also feminine, but not as feminine as Egyptian Oudh. I think it deserves better than a simple brown soap. Yes, it does. And I will make my sister a scented candle (which I have promised ages ago). She will love Moroccan Spice. The problem is that I can't make candles. But it can't possibly be more difficult than soap.

Hmm, it reminds me of somthing, this smell. A type of product. I feel I have smelled it before somewhere. In a bathroom setting, perhaps. It is something familiar with it, but I can't figure out what.

I really need to look into these lotion bars I keep seeing people posting about. quick question though--do they melt in the heat? well 2 quick questions--do you scent them?

Question 1, Not really - if they are left in a hot car, I can't guarantee them, Question 2, Yes! I have found that Lavender/Rosemary mix is very popular.

@penelopejane Thank you for your advice :)

The strange thing is that I checked the fragrance oil chart an hour ago or so, just to see if I found some new reviews on Eroma scents, and I read your listing for Moroccan Spice, and I thought, hmm, doesn't I have that one? I checked just now, and I do have it! I can't add reviews in that chart before I have a recipe that I have some experience with, since I don't know what exactly what makes thing thicken so fast, is it the fragrance, the oils, the additives, the temperature? I have a better chance of judging how the scent behaves if I have a recipe that I make on a regular basis and know how it is supposed to behave. I think I will be there very soon, hopefully.

I have planned the design of my next soap, with rapeseed wax in addition to soy wax (so it will probably move even quicker). I think I can quickly pour off a some batter and use TD in the main batter, and pour the uncoloured one back into the bowl as a drop swirl, and quickly get it in the mold. Simple and easy that does not take long time at all. I think the discolouration to dark brown will be nice when it is swirled with some lighter brown. Probably not a showstopper of a soap, but it doesn't have to be, and I think it will suit the spicy type of scent. Moroccan Spice, the name is really appealing.

Okey, now I became so curious I ran out to the other room and grabbed Egyptian Oud and Moroccan Spice. I had not opened Egyptian Oud (do I need to say that I hate that foil thing that seals the bottle? Impossible to get off without spilling everywhere). Oh, I love Egyptian Oud, very lovely. But, I see that it can be very annoying in the long run too. Like headache-maker. Reminds me of some sort of make-up type of smell. I like it, but I don't see where I can use it, since like masculine or unisex scents better. And I will for sure get a headache from it.

Luckily Moroccan Spice was opened already. I can't recall that I have smelled it before, but I guess I have since it was opened. But why haven't I used it before? A mystery. But wow! What a scent! I absolutely love it! Deeply love it! And this one will not give me headache (I can notice such things immediately). But I have to rethink my design. Moroccan Spice is nothing as I imagined it to be. It is much better, and much different. Also feminine, but not as feminine as Egyptian Oudh. I think it deserves better than a simple brown soap. Yes, it does. And I will make my sister a scented candle (which I have promised ages ago). She will love Moroccan Spice. The problem is that I can't make candles. But it can't possibly be more difficult than soap.

Hmm, it reminds me of somthing, this smell. A type of product. I feel I have smelled it before somewhere. In a bathroom setting, perhaps. It is something familiar with it, but I can't figure out what.

Candle making is far more than just melt wax add fo and pour it takes alot of time research and to perfect! I would strongly suggest going the route of wax melts instead if you have Facebook I can help you along you way to making good melts but candles have wicks and that just adds a whole other level of testing and that also changes with different sized containers ect and the fo also effects the wick too. I'm not suggesting melts are easy and dont take any testing but it's much more likely you will get closer to good one your first try with the right advice and research! If you want some help with melts inbox me and I'll send you my name to add me to fb and I'll help you out!

Oh no! I do have Egyptian Oudh! I was sure I did not have it, but I had to double-check by opening a document where I have written down what I have. And it is there:( I'm very sure I will hate it, floral, yes, I have had enough of that sort.
Be really careful about relying on the reviews on the FO sellers websites, especially Eroma. I know for a fact (since they've done it to me) that they don't publish unfavourable reviews and they edit others. So if you write "Nice scent out of the bottle but doesn't work in CP." They will edit to "Nice scent". :)

@Chris_S Thank you for your offer to help out with candle or melt making. But, since it is more difficult than just melt wax and add scents, and demands researching, I will not even try. I find soapmaking really difficult, and I don't need anything else that also is difficult. Then I will rather stick to my fiber reactive dyeing (some call it tie-dye, but I don't since I don't use the tie-dye techiques. I have tried, but it is not really my style. I like low-water immersion dyeing, shibori and things like that). It is extremely easy compared to soapmaking, and probably way easier than candlemaking. When or if I in the future find soapmaking easy because of way more experience and knowledge about it, then I can dive in to making candles or melts. I can rather make car air fresheners, which can't be very difficult at all.

@penelopejane Okey, I was not aware of that. But I do know that many companies do just that, so I should have thought. I now understand why some of the scents I have had really good reviews, but when I got it was amazed over how horrible it was. That makes perfect sense since they edit out all the negative reviews. Really unethical to do so, and I would not do it if I had a company. I would rather give a reply under the reviews. I see some companies do just that, and I like it.

Hooo boy.
Yikes.

I really need to look into these lotion bars I keep seeing people posting about. quick question though--do they melt in the heat? well 2 quick questions--do you scent them?
Melting: it all depends on your recipe. You can make soft, or hard. In winter, the firmer ones are a bit of a pain, and you feel like you're rubbing crayons on your skin. So in that case, I melt them down, add some more liquid oils or butters (it's really the beeswax that hardens, although butters add a bit of rigidity) and put them in a tin, and they're balms.
Scent? YES YOU MUST. FO are fine, but this is the time to use your EOs, as they're stay-on products. I have some "muscle bars" that have peppermint and menthol--super tingly. I have another muscle bar with turmeric and black pepper--that one warms up. I bought some chili oil recently and want to try that, but need to be very careful with usage rates, as that one's serious business.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Dawni this is the soap I “washed” to get something I like a lot better than the bar on the right. It’s not for everyone, just those who can appreciate the beauty of a soap bar that looks like mud :) They’re colored with a bit too much indigo as well as AC and are not a blue as they appear to be in this photo.

AB2C31FE-02F5-4377-A63B-8F6F1BA272B6.jpeg

@Dawni this is the soap I “washed” to get something I like a lot better than the bar on the right. It’s not for everyone, just those who can appreciate the beauty of a soap bar that looks like mud :) They’re colored with a bit too much indigo as well as AC and are not a blue as they appear to be in this photo.

View attachment 40697
Nice though.. I see a moon in that one that's facing front. So it's more grey is it? I like mud.. Stone.. Sand.. Don't know yet about dirt looking soap lol I've yet to make one :p

Just unmoulded last nights soap only got home an hour ago at 11pm so decided not to cut them and just leave them till tomorrow. I also wrote a new recipe this morning to try for the next batch iv got planned to do beginning of next week!

Attachments

• 20190802_232331.jpg
    20190802_232331.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 31
  • 20190802_232240.jpg
    20190802_232240.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 31
I ordered some new fragrances, but I think I should have researched the company more thoroughly. Oh well, I’m hoping for the best!

cut soap from yesterday. a carrot bar that is more dk tan than orange and a dandelion soap that looks like a stick of butter. they are both unscented and uncolored. poured a strainer soap a bit ago and am getting ready to try a lilac soap
The stick of butter soap sounds nice. I would like to make dandelion soap, but I haven’t noticed any in our yard :(

The stick of butter soap sounds nice. I would like to make dandelion soap, but I haven’t noticed any in our yard :(

in Minnesota they are mainly a spring thing. this is the second dandie soap I have made. the first one I used orange 10x and lemon in it and it was a darker yellow. just made them both in the last week and it seems to be a nice soap cant wait for the cure

We returned from Hawaii a couple of days ago, well really less than a day & a half ago. And we've been playing catch up on the sleep. Tomorrow I plan that granddaughter & I will be trimming the soap we made in July. We cut it all before we left, but left the fine clean up work to our return. I'll be staying here about another week before going home, so doubt I'll be making any soap for at least another couple of weeks. But I am looking forward to at least doing some beveling tomorrow and setting some of it out to cure a bit before I leave. In my car, I have a couple of small racks I bought from a de-stash while we were at the soap conference, so I'll set those up somewhere here for at least a bit of air flow.

Rebatched some of my recent leftover soap bits. I had enough for two bars split between 170g. Fresh soap is always more fun to melt n "make new" I think.. The harder it gets the more it should be used as confetti, in my opinion.
IMG_20190803_155156.jpg

I like that pale green color from my recent landscape soap.

Also, been working on thinking of a name n logo for myself.. I hadn't originally planned to, but I think I wanna start officially selling to family n friends, and friends of friends maybe by year end. We shall see..

View attachment 40697
It looks like a very pretty blue on my phone. Even if it’s not blue I like the shape, bevels, and swirls.

Rebatched some of my recent leftover soap bits. I had enough for two bars split between 170g. Fresh soap is always more fun to melt n "make new" I think.. The harder it gets the more it should be used as confetti, in my opinion.
View attachment 40707
I like that pale green color from my recent landscape soap.

Also, been working on thinking of a name n logo for myself.. I hadn't originally planned to, but I think I wanna start officially selling to family n friends, and friends of friends maybe by year end. We shall see..
That’s a real pretty green!

Latest posts

Back