SMF April 2017 Challenge-Stripes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Beardguy, love your soap and the pristine landscape behind it. Though I don't know about still having that much snow on the ground. We're still getting snowflakes but the earth here finally looks more green and brown.

I made my first batch to see if I can get stripes with my BlackSmith Soap. They might be fuzzy stripes, though, because last time I tried doing a Ribbon Pour with this soap, the lines were rather fuzzy (it also looked more like a Clyde Slide, but that's another story.) But my brother needs more soap and I thought I'd give it a try. I also used Dragon's Blood FO because I'm pretty sure he will like it and darker soap seems fitting. But I didn't make enough. Oh, my an excuse to make more soap. :)

So I am planning my next batch already.

Hey Beardguy, love your soap and the pristine landscape behind it. Though I don't know about still having that much snow on the ground. We're still getting snowflakes but the earth here finally looks more green and brown.

It snowed almost 15 cm last week so we'll be having snow coverage well into May... It's pretty rare not to have snow at the end of April where I am at.

1. earlene - so much fun!
2. doriettefarm - you guys must have ESP . . . I was hoping for something stripe-y since that's what I'm making today!
3. dibbles - hmmm...thinking, thinking...
4. Misschief - keeping my fingers crossed that I'll have time this month
5. beardguy - i love stripes
6. CaraBou - At attention!
7. Soapprentice - will be out of station till 16th, so lot of time to plan (hopefully)
8. Battle Gnome - still hoping to find soaping time. Fingers crossed
9. SaltedFig - has ideas!
10. makemineirish -
11. Redhead - As long as they dont need to be straight! lol
12. jules92207 - Oh I love it! The one time stripes won't make me look fat!
13. Arimara- I have a great idea for this. I just need shea butter and PKO flakes...
14. Steve85569 - I might have time. And pastels are for spring, right?
15. toxikon - I know just what to do with my new Nurture micas!
16. amd - any excuse to get started on soapy wedding favors!
17. nikkisessence - maybe a rainbow. Can't wait to try this!
18 SunRiseArts - I already have an idea in my head.
19. SheLion - Got a brand spanking-new SB that needs broken in!
20. KristaY - Thankfully they don't have to be straight since I can barely walk a straight line let alone soap a straight line.....
21. Omneya - I hope this kick starts my mojo, I need it and I am excited to participate
22. mommycarlson -
23. Artemis - well, maybe just one try

2. doriettefarm - you guys must have ESP . . . I was hoping for something stripe-y since that's what I'm making today!

7. Soapprentice - will be out of station till 16th, so lot of time to plan (hopefully)

10. makemineirish -

13. Arimara- I have a great idea for this. I just need shea butter and PKO flakes...

20. KristaY - Thankfully they don't have to be straight since I can barely walk a straight line let alone soap a straight line.....

21. Omneya - I hope this kick starts my mojo, I need it and I am excited to participate

22. mommycarlson -

24. Saponista - I really want to make some fun soap!

10. makemineirish -

22. mommycarlson -

25. Dahila - it is my first time. I am challenge virgin

I'm in, no newborn baby goats to distract me this month... :lol:

10. makemineirish -
22. mommycarlson -
26. SunWolf - Hopefully I remember to submit my entry before time runs out this month! :oops:

10. makemineirish -
22. mommycarlson -
26. SunWolf - Hopefully I remember to submit my entry before time runs out this month!
icon_redface.gif

27. BlackDog - a busy couple of months at work are OVER! I'm back in the saddle!

I made an attempt at this today. I used a new-to-me FO, because THAT'S always a good idea. It behaved well enough, but turned my batter very yellow. Which made my purple brown and my red an orange clay color. Tried to salvage the white part with white mica - didn't work, so I tried adding green, which ended up being a pretty dingy color. It is an ugly, sad, berry scented little soap. I have almost no hope it will end up looking good by the time it comes out of the mold. Another try definitely in my future.

I made an attempt at this today. I used a new-to-me FO, because THAT'S always a good idea. It behaved well enough, but turned my batter very yellow. Which made my purple brown and my red an orange clay color. Tried to salvage the white part with white mica - didn't work, so I tried adding green, which ended up being a pretty dingy color. It is an ugly, sad, berry scented little soap. I have almost no hope it will end up looking good by the time it comes out of the mold. Another try definitely in my future.

Vanilla Berry?

I've used a few FO'S that turn the batter yellow but the soap comes out white or ivory. I hope it's one of those! It makes judging your colors really difficult though.

Jealous of all you guys who already gave a try.. I will be back home on 20th which gives me a very small window to make, cut and photograph this month.. fingers crossed.

I can completely relate to a challenge soap attempt ending up ugly and sad. Happened to me last month. I'm hoping to not repeat this month. This month's first attempt didn't come out as planned but it was not ugly or sad, at least.

Well, I had planned on making mine this weekend (3 days off) until I received a call from my youngest daughter last night. She wants to come visit for the weekend. There go my plans! (She is NOT the type to be making soap with, believe me... it will be all her, her, her.)

Holy cats! My 2nd and 3rd stripe soaps are in the molds. Who would have guessed stripes would be so hard?? Gahh! I dipped my wiping cloth right IN the 4th of 5 layers (AC mica line between each) wow, that was not fun! I'm in Florida from the 19-26 so hopefully I'll get home in time to vote! Now I have to pick one of the 3 soaps to enter before I leave :) Can't wait to see all the entries (and NON entries!)

I like your soap. The colours and design might not be what you want, but it has a cool look to it nonetheless.

Latest posts

Back