~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Melt & Pour Forum > Same techniques with M&P as CP? (swirls, etc)

Old 11-05-2016, 12:39 PM   #1
nsmar4211

Liked 273 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 1649

Default Same techniques with M&P as CP? (swirls, etc)

Just stuck my toe into the world of M&P because I don't want to put huge amounts of money into additives and have it just sit around (I'm looking at you argan oil...). Thus far I've only done "add mica, stir, pour". After really looking around at pictures, I'm only finding layering techniques. I'm curious if you can use some of the same fancy swirl techniques (hangar swirls, that sort) with M&P as you do with CP. For me it seems that some of the M&P stuff sets up too fast or skins over and the skin would cause design issues... The swirl in pot would be easyish, but what about designs requiring tools?

Old 11-05-2016, 01:07 PM   #2
snappyllama
Supporting Member

Liked 2931 Times on 1581 Posts
Likes Given: 2425

I'm no M&P soaper due to mine coming out sad and disappointing. That said, lots of folks make gorgeous soaps! Here's a few youtube soapers that seem to specialize in M&P:

Soap Fantasy: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4r...ScpTqhGDxjKY1g
Dean Wilson: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaD...PsfZVIq7CwkEAw
SoapQueen (has both CP & M&P): https://www.youtube.com/user/soapqueentv

Old 11-05-2016, 06:39 PM   #3
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 7087 Times on 3555 Posts
Likes Given: 4615

I used to do M&P before CP took a-hold of me, and speaking only for myself, I could not do a decent swirl with it to save my life. Not even an ITP swirl. They always came out very blobby-looking, so I ceased swirling with it and kept to doing only layers instead.

IrishLass

Old 11-05-2016, 07:20 PM   #4
lenarenee
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2060 Times on 1034 Posts
Likes Given: 734

Somewhere, there is a company that has swirlable melt and pour but I can't begin to remember where.

I've done very little melt and pour, but had acceptable success swirling it. I think if you keep your expectations low (in other words, don't expect it to swirl as well as cp soap), don't over swirl, you can do it.