~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Recipe & Tutorials Forum > Bath, Body and Aromatherapy Recipes & Tutorials > Bath bomb pre-mix

Old 05-05-2015, 01:50 PM   #1
TwystedPryncess

Liked 221 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 195

Default Bath bomb pre-mix

Does anyone find it helpful to pre-mix a base of your most basic bath bomb ingredients to store and keep on hand or would it be detrimental in some fashion?

I am wondering if I could get away with mixing my baking soda, citric acid, epsom salts and SLSA and storing it in an airtight container. I think this would save me a little energy fibro - wise every time I make bombs, as I always use the same base. The different additives could then of course be put in at the time of making.

I prefer to wet my mixtures in small amounts at a time, anyway, as I think mine just come out better that way as opposed to spritzing a huge bowlful.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:55 PM   #2
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4991 Times on 2902 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

I always make up a big master batch and sometimes it sits for a year or so and it is just fine. Bath bombs and lip balm are my least favorite to make

cmzaha
No kids in the soaping area

Old 05-05-2015, 04:28 PM   #3
TwystedPryncess

Liked 221 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 195

I love to make all of it, so that is a plus, but I just get tired easy, so if I can save a step anywhere, I always try to do so. That is great to hear, so the next thing I will do is make a huge batch of my premix base. Yay! I do a bit dislike pouring lip balms, but I am getting better and I have to say I hate cleaning the beeswax up afterwards even worse. But watching my daughter smile and her eyes pop open and say "You made this?? This is way tons better than anything I've ever bought! Love you Mama!" Then I suppose the beeswax horror is worth it.
😀
lizard1232 Likes This 
Old 05-05-2015, 06:06 PM   #4
happyshopper

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I am no expert but I would say with pre-mixing the base this will not guarantee that your mix will be even.

Put simply when make all at once a 50/50 split will be just that, but if you pre-mix it and just take out a bit at a time there is no way of knowing you have you a 50/50 split of ingredients. This may not matter with bath bombs as the ratio might not be that important but it is something to consider.

I would try it on a small scale to test first.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:13 PM   #5
galaxyMLP
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1301 Times on 774 Posts
Likes Given: 424

I think it should work just fine as long as you keep it in an airtight container. I would actually recommend a large zip lock bag. This way you can remove most of the air (prevents moisture in the air from reacting your citric acid and baking soda) and you can shake it before use if its been sitting a while. But, I've never done it before.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:17 PM   #6
shunt2011
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 4659 Times on 3105 Posts
Likes Given: 3909

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyshopper View Post
I am no expert but I would say with pre-mixing the base this will not guarantee that your mix will be even.

Put simply when make all at once a 50/50 split will be just that, but if you pre-mix it and just take out a bit at a time there is no way of knowing you have you a 50/50 split of ingredients. This may not matter with bath bombs as the ratio might not be that important but it is something to consider.

I would try it on a small scale to test first.
As long as you mix it well before taking out whatever portion you want it's fine. I've pre-mixed my bath bombs in larger quantities and it's worked just fine. I'm not quite sure I understand by what you mean by 50/50 split.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:24 PM   #7
happyshopper

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunt2011 View Post
As long as you mix it well before taking out whatever portion you want it's fine. I've pre-mixed my bath bombs in larger quantities and it's worked just fine. I'm not quite sure I understand by what you mean by 50/50 split.
sorry I perhaps should have written as a ratio 1:1

If you made a large batch of 50% baking soda and 50% citric acid, then took out 30% of the total mix you couldn't guarantee that the 30% contained half and half of the two original ingredients.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:32 PM   #8
shunt2011
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 4659 Times on 3105 Posts
Likes Given: 3909

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyshopper View Post
sorry I perhaps should have written as a ratio 1:1

If you made a large batch of 50% baking soda and 50% citric acid, then took out 30% of the total mix you couldn't guarantee that the 30% contained half and half of the two original ingredients.

But if you mix it well it's not going to be off that much. And, Usually it's a 2:1 mix to start then the other stuff on top of that. I can only speak for my experience and haven't had a problem.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:48 PM   #9
Wildcraft_Garden

Liked 95 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I master batch my bath bomb base, it's so handy.