Safe to use when no-zap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Absinthe

Reaction score
If the bar doesn't zap, and I mean really doesn't zap, does that mean it is ok to use?

I am still amazed that the soap that went crazy this weekend is like licking a candle today and it is very firm.

I intend on letting it cure for a few weeks at least, but short of losing more water, what else is happening? Is the whole sap process done at this point?

Absinthe said:
If the bar doesn't zap, and I mean really doesn't zap, does that mean it is ok to use?

I am still amazed that the soap that went crazy this weekend is like licking a candle today and it is very firm.

I intend on letting it cure for a few weeks at least, but short of losing more water, what else is happening? Is the whole sap process done at this point?

Sure sounds like it if there is no zap. A good cure to harden the bar will benefit the longevity of the soap once you start using it.

MagiaDellaLuna said:
Absinthe said:

Sure sounds like it if there is no zap. A good cure to harden the bar will benefit the longevity of the soap once you start using it.

As long as there is no zap, the saponification process is over once the soap is completely cooled (usually after 24-48 hrs)... Ive used my cp soaps literally right after unmolding them the day after (I do this to every batch just to get a feel for how it ages) I will say that the soaps are MUCH more harsh at first, so it may irritate your skin a bit, so test it on a small area first...a finger maybe (ie not the protected regions ;) )...

Pretty much as the soap cures as you stated, water evaporates and the bar will be harder and last longer in the shower and be less likely to disintigrate, I talso mellows the soap out a bit so its not as harsh... it also depends on what you use for oils as well as your superfat %...

I only really ran into problems when I first started using cp soap... i felt like my skin would get a little red sometimes..but I dont know if that was due to my error or soapcalc demons... now I use soapmaker3 and i havent had problems since those first few batches :)

Back