~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~



Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Candle Making Forum > My first candles
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2017, 01:18 AM   #11
jcandleattic
 
jcandleattic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,659
Liked 649 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonGirl View Post
I'm doing my burn test now, so far so good, I've got a good burn pool and the hot throw on the fragrance is strong, so fingers crossed I did a good job of picking wicks, I went with one recommended for this wax and size so here's hoping.

Jcandleattic: No worries! Its not that impressive a picture anyhow, I just got excited
You should be excited!! It's exciting!!
Just make sure to burn it all the way to the bottom of the candle and take good notes.
I find most suppliers tend to recommend wicks that end up being to big. They seem to be fine for the first few burns, but once they get to the middle/end of the burn, the melt pool is too deep, the container gets too hot, and then you get sooting, mushrooming, etc.,
(and yes, even soy soots, it's just usually a white (ish) soot so not as noticeable as paraffin waxes - same with palm, but even less so)

Show us a pic of your burn, and if you have any questions let us know.
I'd love to see your progress as a candlemaker.

(and the pic is great btw! very creamy looking - what was the scent?)


__________________
I refuse to set myself on fire to keep others warm.
jcandleattic is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:51 AM   #12
TheDragonGirl
 
TheDragonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Kingston, Georgia, USA
Posts: 937
Liked 794 Times on 354 Posts
Likes Given: 134

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcandleattic View Post
You should be excited!! It's exciting!!
Just make sure to burn it all the way to the bottom of the candle and take good notes.
I find most suppliers tend to recommend wicks that end up being to big. They seem to be fine for the first few burns, but once they get to the middle/end of the burn, the melt pool is too deep, the container gets too hot, and then you get sooting, mushrooming, etc.,
(and yes, even soy soots, it's just usually a white (ish) soot so not as noticeable as paraffin waxes - same with palm, but even less so)

Show us a pic of your burn, and if you have any questions let us know.
I'd love to see your progress as a candlemaker.

(and the pic is great btw! very creamy looking - what was the scent?)
I did a soy/paraffin blend, and I used brambleberry's gingersnap at a 10% load

I *did* get some mushrooming, but the burn pool was only half an inch deep on the end of the first burn, the glass wasn't too hot, and it did extend to the edges of the container. I suspect I didn't trim my wick down far enough, we'll see how it does on the next one.


TheDragonGirl is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:49 AM   #13
TheDragonGirl
 
TheDragonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Kingston, Georgia, USA
Posts: 937
Liked 794 Times on 354 Posts
Likes Given: 134

Default

Second burn didn't get the guttering or the mushrooming, but the room got super cold so it also didn't make a full pool, third burn was during the day when it was warmer, did make the full pool, looks like this wick is doing as decent as I could ask for, the jar hasn't been heating up more than warm to the touch so I'm encouraged. I'm only going to burn during the day from now on for accuracy.
TheDragonGirl is offline  
Zany_in_CO Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:27 AM   #14
Kittish
Enthusiastic Newbie
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png
 
Kittish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: High altitude desert in southern Nevada
Posts: 1,184
Liked 1206 Times on 573 Posts
Likes Given: 736

Default

Room temperature makes a difference in how a candle burns?! I'd never have guessed that.
Kittish is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:19 PM   #15
jcandleattic
 
jcandleattic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,659
Liked 649 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonGirl View Post
Second burn didn't get the guttering or the mushrooming, but the room got super cold so it also didn't make a full pool, third burn was during the day when it was warmer, did make the full pool, looks like this wick is doing as decent as I could ask for, the jar hasn't been heating up more than warm to the touch so I'm encouraged. I'm only going to burn during the day from now on for accuracy.
I would say if you got a FMP on your first burn, the wick is going to end up too big by the end of the burn. My candles never get a fmp until the 2nd-3rd burn, unless it's a small container candle or votive.
Have you also done a power burn? Most consumers are not going to burn the recommended times, and it will be good to know how your candle is going to do if they end up burning the candle for 8-10 hours or longer.

Not trying to discourage you, just trying to help you make the best possible candle you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittish View Post
Room temperature makes a difference in how a candle burns?! I'd never have guessed that.
Everything can affect how a candle burns. That's why most candle makers test the same type of candles many times in many different scenarios to make sure what they are putting out on the market is the safest thing they can.
__________________
I refuse to set myself on fire to keep others warm.
jcandleattic is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:20 PM   #16
jcandleattic
 
jcandleattic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,659
Liked 649 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Default

And I just went back and looked at the pic. Is that 5 oz mason jar? A FMP in that jar is probably just fine. It's a small(ish) container.
__________________
I refuse to set myself on fire to keep others warm.
jcandleattic is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:28 AM   #17
TheDragonGirl
 
TheDragonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Kingston, Georgia, USA
Posts: 937
Liked 794 Times on 354 Posts
Likes Given: 134

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcandleattic View Post
And I just went back and looked at the pic. Is that 5 oz mason jar? A FMP in that jar is probably just fine. It's a small(ish) container.
8 oz, one of the squat ones! I haven't done over four hours yet, or any more four hour burns since it snowed, but I can do that and see if the glass heats up too much under the stress test, so far I'm pretty happy with how its been burning though, the flame behaves as long as its kept trimmed to the right length, and I'm just barely hitting my full melt pool by the end of the burn.

I want to make sure these candles are safe for people for Christmas <3 no catching the house on fire.
TheDragonGirl is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:51 PM   #18
TheDragonGirl
 
TheDragonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Kingston, Georgia, USA
Posts: 937
Liked 794 Times on 354 Posts
Likes Given: 134

Default

The power burn went well, it did twelve hours with no real problems, the glass got hot to the touch in the end but not enough to burn me. The melt pool stayed at about a half inch deep. When the wick got long it started to mushroom but that was expected.
TheDragonGirl is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:28 PM   #19
jcandleattic
 
jcandleattic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,659
Liked 649 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonGirl View Post
The power burn went well, it did twelve hours with no real problems, the glass got hot to the touch in the end but not enough to burn me. The melt pool stayed at about a half inch deep. When the wick got long it started to mushroom but that was expected.
YAY - I'm glad you had such success right out of the gate. Most of us don't/didn't get so lucky.

However, when I started, there was no such thing as forums, or groups, or even facebook. LOL
They started coming around a few years after I started and were slow to build. Unlike today, so when I started I had to rely on really inaccurate antiquated books.
__________________
I refuse to set myself on fire to keep others warm.
jcandleattic is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:26 AM   #20
SunRiseArts
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png
 
SunRiseArts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 1,105
Liked 902 Times on 430 Posts
Likes Given: 951

Default

gee, I never would have thought of all this technicalities.... I make sure my wick encompasses at least 1 inch in diameter, and that is it, off I go!


SunRiseArts is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scented Candles VS Unscented Candles rv13 Candle Making Forum 11 10-04-2017 07:24 PM
Gel Candles ?? How?? :D itsmeroro Candle Making Forum 3 06-06-2011 01:43 AM
EO's for candles bassgirl Candle Making Forum 7 12-11-2010 01:48 AM
Can I re-do candles? MsBien Candle Making Forum 5 08-25-2009 07:52 AM
Some of my candles..... divaxtrema The Photo Gallery 17 08-05-2008 04:09 AM



Newest Threads