Yes, this is some creepy looking soap....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let it sit, wait a few days check for zap.

You may never know why this batch flubbed. I guess that's the point we were all trying to make. Keep copious notes, it's so much easier to go back and see what went wrong - or what went right!

Annmarie0407 said:
Ok guys, what should I do with this scary soap? I do not want to trash it...

Can you help me with some info on how to rebatch this(if I can rebatch this).

Gosh darn, I wish I could figure out what happened this batch

I wish I could tell you. Mine is still sitting waiting for a rebatch attempt. The problem is you just don't know how much of what oozed out. In my case I'm sure it was lye, but how much?

I hate to just trash it, but I'm really afraid to attempt a rebatch.

You might let it sit & see if it reabsorbs any of the ooze. I probably missed this, but is the ooze oily, smell of the scent or is it really watery? If you can determine what oozed & about how much, you might be able to rebatch.

bimmergirl said:
I just want to let everyone know that you guys are very good people. I've learned somethings that I know I haven't read from books or the net. I appreciate all the advice from the experienced soapers and even the "new" ones. Blessings to all!!!!
Cherry

Thanks Cherry! I was a newby once, & got lots of help here, too. I'm just giving back. I'm still learning. That's the fun of soapmaking, there's always something new to try - a new technique, a new scent a new colorant or additive.

You're right! This is a wonderful forum with a great bunch of people!!

bimmergirl said:
I just want to let everyone know that you guys are very good people. I've learned somethings that I know I haven't read from books or the net. I appreciate all the advice from the experienced soapers and even the "new" ones. Blessings to all!!!!
Cherry

I just love this place. Every single day I learn something new.

So, I cut the soap last night and it is oozing from the inside of the soap. This ooz looks like the EO(its not red like the ooz from the bootm of the soap). So, I have a feelin this was a false TRACE.

WOW...I feel like I have sooo much to learn about making soap. Any suggestions on where to get the whole shabang on soapmaking(class, event).

Everyday I learn something new.

I am so happy to have found this forum....you guys totally ROCK. You are so helpful.

Annmarie0407 said:
WOW...I feel like I have sooo much to learn about making soap. Any suggestions on where to get the whole shabang on soapmaking(class, event).

I know how you feel. Ever single day, something new.

I don't think there are any shortcuts. Just lots of practice. How long have you been making soap?

Annmarie, as others have said, I would let the soap sit a little bit to see if it re-absorbs any of the ooze. I've had oozing fragrance as well as oils in a few of my batches before and they re-absorbed back in over a few weeks, and the soaps turned out fine. If it doesn't re-absorb back in, you can always re-batch it.

-Before you rebatch it, check for any crystalized lye. If there are any noticeable lye crytals, then it would be advisable not to rebatch. I would throw such soap out and go back to the drawing board, for it's pretty durn impossible to get those crystals in the soap to re-dissolve.

-If there aren't any visible lye crystals, and if it were me, I would definitely rebatch.

-If there are no visible lye crystals, but the soap still zaps, you can still rebatch (I learned this from a soaper on another board). When your soap is nice and melty, add 1 teaspoon-full of whatever oil or fat of your choice to your melting soap and mix in well, and then do a zap test on it. If it still zaps, add a little more of your oil/fat. Repeat this process until you don't get any more zap, and then pour into your molds.

HTH!
IrishLass :)

Deda said:
Annmarie0407 said:

I know how you feel. Ever single day, something new.

I don't think there are any shortcuts. Just lots of practice. How long have you been making soap?

I have been making soap since MAY of this year...I LOVE making soap...I am truely addicted.....and I so picky about the way my soaps look(I bet we all are)....I just want them to be perfect....I feel like I am missing something(I mix the oils and lye mixture when they are about 120 degrees)....

How do I know when its false trace?

I am going to sign up with the soap guild...they have a big event next year in Palm Springs that I may attend.

You just have to find the right way for you. I like to soap cold. In the recent past I've begun to add my clays, and scents before I add the lye/water. I prefer to add the water a little at a time, I can extend the trace long enough to play and make sure I get a complete incorporation.

Do you always use the same process?
I have such a blast trying new ways. Like learning a new stitch pattern when I knit socks!
knitting.gif

Annmarie0407 said:
Ok guys, what should I do with this scary soap? I do not want to trash it...

Can you help me with some info on how to rebatch this(if I can rebatch this).

Gosh darn, I wish I could figure out what happened this batch

I have had this happen to me and it is usually when I use goat's milk, but I believe that it is because it is lye-heavy. When this has happened, I have re-batched the soap in the crock pot. I cut the soap or shred it and put more liquid in the soap and cook it. I unfortunately don't measure the liquid that I add but I usually pour like I'm putting dressing over salad. After I re-batch it, it is fine and I am able to use after it cures for a couple of weeks. HTH

SoapyScrubs said:
what is tongue testing?

Tongue test, or zap test is licking, or touching your tongue to the soap.
If it tastes like soap then you've got soap.
If you get that '9 volt zap' you still have lye.

This once happened to me when I didn't mix sufficiently, then put it into the log mold. It can also happen if measurements were slightly off, sometimes due to a bad scale (which I've had a few of...)

btw: when you said earlier: "I just hate it, hate it...." after someone recommended you try our soapmaker program, I hope you weren't giving people the impression that it was soapmaker you hate! :shock:

Woodi said:
btw: when you said earlier: "I just hate it, hate it...." after someone recommended you try our soapmaker program, I hope you weren't giving people the impression that it was soapmaker you hate! :shock:

OMG NO! I LOVE LOVE LOVE Soapmaker! My trial ran up and I bought it. I adore it. I will never make soap with out. Everyone in the world should buy it!

I do, however, despise IT (internet technology) - or at least working in a loud noisy cage with 50 gajillion computers! :lol:

I have the greatest respect for all techies - but the solitary life in a cage is NOT for me. I don't care if the Latin American servers are all crashing. I'm not working on Christmas again!

Annmarie0407 said:
Help me PLEASE....I have no clue what happened. I made my Spiritual Healing Soap last night and when I opened it tonight this is what happened.

I took off the bottom part of the mold and the soap literally looked like it was bleeding. What do you think happened?

Here is my recipe. Its a 96 ounce batch
Coconut oil 40%
Olive OIl 50%
Palm OIl 10%

35 ounces water
13.56 ounces Lye

2oz Frankincense & myrrh EO.

Oh, another weird thing...when I usually make this soap, the EO turns the soap brown (which is what I want). This time, it did not....

my.php
[/url] [/img]

HELP ME PLEASE!!!! It just happened again with another batch.

Any advice??

Annmarie0407 said:

Any advice??
I'm gonna take a stab at it being the Soap FAIRIES!! :p
I'm also glad to know they're in CA, maybe it's safe to make soap here in PA now!

Seriously though, I do not know :roll: ....I'm guessing false trace. I had it happen to the second batch of goats milk I tried and it STILL has not hardened up (the cut soaps that is, after the ooze was drained out, not lye heavy) after 2 months. I also used honey in that batch and I think it partially gelled also.
Are these the first two attempts at this recipe or have you made it before?? Are you using the same or different FO/EO? I would try the recipe (smaller version) without any extras as a way to maybe determine if it's the Fragrance.
Any who, good luck to ya....I won't be making soap for at least 3 days...so send those fairies on their way! :wink:

Ya know....
I thought that the previos batch(see pic) was because of FALSE TRACE. So, this with this recent batch I REALLY took my time with the trace process. I used my hand mixture and lots of stirring in between.

How can I tell if I am at false trace?

jadiebugs1 said:
Annmarie0407 said:

Any advice??
I'm gonna take a stab at it being the Soap FAIRIES!! :p
I'm also glad to know they're in CA, maybe it's safe to make soap here in PA now!

Seriously though, I do not know :roll: ....I'm guessing false trace. I had it happen to the second batch of goats milk I tried and it STILL has not hardened up (the cut soaps that is, after the ooze was drained out, not lye heavy) after 2 months. I also used honey in that batch and I think it partially gelled also.
Are these the first two attempts at this recipe or have you made it before?? Are you using the same or different FO/EO? I would try the recipe (smaller version) without any extras as a way to maybe determine if it's the Fragrance.
Any who, good luck to ya....I won't be making soap for at least 3 days...so send those fairies on their way! :wink:

Yes, same recipe same EO, same temps.....

Back