Yay! I made my first batch of CP today!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapDish

Reaction score
Just had to share! You probably get that a lot...

After my horrible start to soap making with a damaged container of lye and the massive clean up and disposal of, I FINALLY made my first batch today.

I used a stick blender so it traced MUCH quicker than I thought it would. I was keeping an eye on it, but then it just happened. Then when I added my oil (musk rose) it sped up even more, so by the time I had added botanicals, it was quite lumpy. I quickly poured/scraped it into the mould and evened out the top. It's now all bundled up in the laundry waiting til tomorrow (or Sunday). Fingers crossed it works out!

Very excited. :D

SoapDish said:
Just had to share! You probably get that a lot...

After my horrible start to soap making with a damaged container of lye and the massive clean up and disposal of, I FINALLY made my first batch today.

I used a stick blender so it traced MUCH quicker than I thought it would. I was keeping an eye on it, but then it just happened. Then when I added my oil (musk rose) it sped up even more, so by the time I had added botanicals, it was quite lumpy. I quickly poured/scraped it into the mould and evened out the top. It's now all bundled up in the laundry waiting til tomorrow (or Sunday). Fingers crossed it works out!

Very excited. :D

Post pics when you unmold!

Congrats on your 1st batch. Floral FO's tend to speed up trace so you might want to try something else while you are learning. Try making a soap with no scent or botanicals in it until you are confident enough to handle all the other issues that may arise :) . Simple to start is better.

Thank you! I bought a kit which is why the first batch was Musk Rose. It also came with Lavender. I'd like to try a basic Castile soap, which is what I probably should have done first. But see, I do tend to jump in the deep end... :lol:

I couldn't help myself! I just went in and had a quick look. It's still quite warm and looks "sweaty" on the top. I put some gladwrap/clingfilm on the top of it when I finished pouring the batch. I heard that helps prevent soda ash. It's been about 9 hours since I finished the batch. Does this sound about right?

Fantastic that you've made your first CP!

Any moisture you're seeing at this stage will hopefully be absorbed back in to the soap during this 'working' phase ... and the 'curing' phase. It's tough to leave it, but it really is the best thing to do.

Cling wrap is said to help keep ash away, but sometimes no matter what you do, ash arrives. Remember ash won't harm ... and many soapers say to make it your friend! Ash can be washed or cleaned off, if it bothers you too much.

Congratulations! Looking forward to pics! I just made my first batch last week ... I'm warning you ... it is addictive. :)

I'm so happy for you! I just made my first two batches last week...is it not the most awesome creative thing you've ever done?...all my friends are astounded that I make soap as am I. Congrats and I can't wait to see pics!

Thanks everyone! In a couple more hours it should be ready to unmould and cut up! It will only just be 24 hours, and I wanted to wait just a little longer, but I'm not sure I can wait now! I'm already keen to make a second batch! AND I've already added a bunch of "much needed" items to my shopping cart online. LOL! I'll try and add some images today for you all. :D

Latest posts

Back