Wow, I think I just can't read

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
20200307_192332[1].jpg 20200307_192241[1].jpg

I made a recipe, checked it a few times, worked as slowly as possible, soaped as coolly as possible and where does it get me? This:

Avocado oil- 100g
Castor oil- 25g
Cocoa butter- 100
Coconut oil- 75g
Olive oil- 100g
Masterbatched lye- 146g
Citric acid- 5g mixed in 40g distilled water

I completely forgot to add 100g of GV Shortening from Walmart. I'm so mad at myself right now.

Edit- I added two pics for perspective. I scented this with Herbal Essence from Brambleberry so I'm wondering if I should just hold on to this or try and rebatch this mess. I did make this an hour ago.

Last edited:
Depending on the superfat allowance, I think the missing fat could make that soap a bit lye heavy. I would rebatch it.
Did something similar a few years ago where I forgot to add an oil from the recipe - ended up rebatching it in the slowcooker. Added some lavender EO at the end of the cook and it turned out really nice.
Good luck! :)

Please excuse my ignorance, as I am new to soaping, what is the citric acid for and what does it do? and when would you add it?
Citric acid is a food additive often found in a lot of canned items and drinks to help preseerve them. In soap, it helps with chelating and is converted to sodium citrate once lye is done reacting to it. when soaping, you can add it to oils or liquid, and I think trace (I'm new to using it myself).

@DeeAnna I will try. I've only rebatched soap once and that was not the most fun experience.

Late to your rebatch party, @Arimara -- sorry I didn't read this sooner. I think you're okay. Smaller chunks should be fine. Big pieces ... not so much.

Citric acid is a food additive often found in a lot of canned items and drinks to help preseerve them. In soap, it helps with chelating and is converted to sodium citrate once lye is done reacting to it. when soaping, you can add it to oils or liquid, and I think trace (I'm new to using it myself).

Mix your CA with water from the recipe. When it is totally dissolved you can pour your lye in the water. Or you can dissolve your CA with other liquids from the recipe (milk). Don't add it into your oils or add it at trace.

Mix your CA with water from the recipe. When it is totally dissolved you can pour your lye in the water. Or you can dissolve your CA with other liquids from the recipe (milk). Don't add it into your oils or add it at trace.
Thanks for the correction. It's a good thing I've used it as you directed. It seemed to make sense than adding it at trace or to oils.

Latest posts

Back