Working on Stain Removal soap bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And what is the problem with using stain removers? I've never understood why some people don't do that
That is like saying, “What is wrong with using commercial bar soap?”

Many of us here on SMF started soaping and making other products because our skin cannot tolerate the ingredients in commercial soap. Like @earlene I also have trouble with strong smells, many of which trigger migraines. Not only must I avoid commercial hand soap, laundry detergent, and stain removers, I generally cannot use any commercial cleaning products, air fresheners, or the like. Many FOs and some EOs also trigger headaches for me, too.

Believe me, it would a lot easier to grab things off the shelf. That isn’t an option for me if I want to function. Plus there is the concern about the long-term toxicity and pollutants in many of these products.

It’s amazing how many homemade cleaners work as well as commercial ones, without all the nasty ingredients. Sadly, home made stain removers don’t work as well for me, but they are my only option.

So, I'm a little late to this party...ok, the party ended 5 years ago with the last entry in the thread, but in the words of Will Smith...hey, I'm a party starter!
So a couple of years ago I did make a stain bar, based off of a few different web sites, with CO, PO, and Soybean oil (I had some on hand). In a controlled, side by side test on a wine stained white t-shirt mine did come out a winner over a store bought spray people are shouting about, and as good or better than local "eco" store bought bar. The difference in what I've read in this thread is I added borax to my batter. Unfortunately the thing I didn't write down was when I added it. I think the recipe I saw said to add it right to the batter at trace. I'm not sure if that is bad, but it worked well. I'm about to make a batch this week and give some to my kids on their trip through the EU in the spring. It worked well on the wine, and I know it's excellent on those nasty pit stains. Any thoughts, now that I've started the laundry party again?

Has anyone ever used ox gall (“cow bile”) in soap? Here in Switzerland it’s an open secret that bile soap is amazing at stain removal, and you can handle it without irritating your hands. I’ve used store-bought bile soap and I don’t go on a trip without it, but I’d love to try making my own if I can find the raw ingredients and an idea of proportions

I found out they sell ox gall at specialized art supply stores for painting, and my mom told me it’s used in art restoration. When I get the chance I’ll order some and see what comes out 🙂

I use a homemade laundry soap that uses 1 Fels Naphtha bar, washing soda and borax. My washing machine repairman looked into the guts of my front loader and found no greasy gook inside. I think you get that problem with very hard water, or just using too much soap. For those making their own stain sticks, can you post the percentages of ingredients so I can try it out?

My stain stick recipe:
100% CO
0%SF
Sodium citrate at 1% of oils
d-limonene at 2% of oils

Best used on whites because it will fade colors. For colored clothes and for grease stains, I use a bit of PS-80 to pretreat. Doesn't smell great, but it works very well to remove grease, with no fading.
Wonder why this fades colors? Do you think it's the coconut or d-limonene causing this?
I'd love to see someone post a side by side comparison of a tallow vs coconut stain stick.

Wonder why this fades colors? Do you think it's the coconut or d-limonene causing this?
I'd love to see someone post a side by side comparison of a tallow vs coconut stain stick.
It’s the CO for sure. I only started using the d-limonene in the last year or so, and it caused fading long before that. It’s a common experience for others using the same recipe, too. :)

Tallow is a hard find for me…would lard work?
Not sure? Have never worked with lard. I use tallow, since it is an Afrikaanse "Boere" thing. Traditionally our forefathers made soap using only tallow - this "Boerseep" is renonwed in our country for its super-cleaning ability. I just added the citric acid and Lemon EO because I think it mght be a good improvement on the tradidtional recipe.

Latest posts

Back