Wooden Molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandolyn

Reaction score
OK, I've done it! I've played with M & P for about a week & have some really great soaps! I want to sell at craft fairs & some are outdoors, so these soaps have to all be wrapped - hot & humid here in the summer.

I want my soaps to be made without the use of animal products & chemicals, so having to wrap them in plastic really bothers me.

I kept shirking at the idea of mixing lye for CP soaps, but I've done lots of research & I'm ready to do it!!! I'm starting to gather together supplies. Now, I've seen several types of wooden molds, but I really could use some info from people who've used them. I want to do smaller batches so I can do a variety of bars in a few shots - maybe 16 or so bars at a time.

What wood molds do you like best? What type of mold should I avoid? Do you like the molds with hinges or without? Do you buy molds with cutters, or use your own cutter?

TOG Molds

I can only recommend TOG Molds — I started with one, and I love it like a child. I just ordered two (2) more, and I've never had experience with any other kind of mold.

TOG molds are wonderful....so easy to use. I have the mini and the economy logs...1lb and 2lb. They are wooden molds. The Kelsie slabs are nice as well...after the first few uses the soap slides right out. TOG has some nice looking slabs too. I hope to get one someday soon. A girl can't have too many molds!!! Mine are always full or in process of being full...I wish I had several mini TOGs!!!

Hey Mandolyn, welcome! I am new as well here. I have heard so many wonderful comments on Paul's Tog moulds that I ordered several and have a pretty good feeling I am going to end up ordering several more. Take a look at his site, I think you will see he has high quality moulds and for very good prices! k

mandolyn said:
I want my soaps to be made without the use of animal products & chemicals, so having to wrap them in plastic really bothers me.
They have a LOW sweat CP type of Melt and Pour. I use to live in Iowa in an area where it was so humid you could almost float through the air... Anyway, even when I wrapped in plastic, my soaps would still sweat, until I switched to a different base. If you don't want to jump into to CP you should give the low sweat MP a try. I'm HUGE on not using plastics which is one of the reason I switched to CP...But now I do BOTH! :)

Lane said:
mandolyn said:
... Anyway, even when I wrapped in plastic, my soaps would still sweat, until I switched to a different base. If you don't want to jump into to CP you should give the low sweat MP a try. I'm HUGE on not using plastics which is one of the reason I switched to CP...But now I do BOTH! :)

Thanks! Waah about the soaps still sweating. I did find the low sweat M&P & ordered some last week, so it should be here soon.

I'm still going to try the CP. I think it'll be cool to have both types of soap going for a while until I become good at doing CP & crafting some rebatch bars. I really like the idea of having total control over what ingredients I use. Ha!Ha! That's assuming I can control the mixing of said ingredients!! :p

I checked out the TOG Molds. I'm placing an order. Thanks so much to you all for your responses!

Mandy.

Wow, where do I send all the commission checks? :lol:

Thanks guys! I try really hard to turn out the best possible product and take my time constructing each piece myself. It takes time, and sometimes I get really behind. I have not been caught up since the first week I opened my Etsy Store 4 months ago. Thanks mandolyn for your order and thanks to everyone who chimed in! You guys are the greatest! 8) 8)

Paul

Soapmaker Man said:
Wow, where do I send all the commission checks? :lol:

... Thanks mandolyn for your order and thanks to everyone who chimed in! You guys are the greatest! 8) 8)

Paul

You're welcome, Paul. Congrats to you on designing & crafting such fine molds & keeping them at affordable prices! I've done my research, & your molds outshine many, even to the eyes of the inexperienced like me.

Mandy

Well, thank you Mandy. :wink: I try really hard to turn out a great product that I would use every item I ship as my own. I have made a lot of design changes over the past 2 years I've been building soap making tools, and I think the products I sell now are very good. I appreciate the compliment. I have not been caught up with orders since I opened my shop at Etsy 4 months ago. I work 6 days per week, sometimes 7.

You are going to love your items!

Paul :wink:

Latest posts

Back