wine in soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know but 20 minutes seems like a long time to achieve trace when using a stick blender. That may be normal. I can't say because I rarely make high % or 100% OO batches. But I don't recall any of my batches taking that long to reach trace. Hopefully someone more experienced will be able to give an answer.

Wow 20mins is a long time. Even my 90% OO soap only takes about 7 minutes to trace. Are you moving the stick up and down as that may be the cause of the bubbles and the reason you having a long trace time. I keep the blender down low and move it around in a figure of eight but never lifting it higher than half an inch of the bottom of the pot and although you are always going to get some bubbles is shouldn't be many and shaking the mold after pouring usually gets them out.
Hope you have more success with the next batches. :)

I will try to move the blender less and see what happens and will lower my OO % and see if that quickens trace time. It is funny because my first few batches were so easy. It seems the more I make the more difficult things get, but I still love it!

I don't use wine as the lye water to make my wine soap anymore. They cure to the butterscotch color. You can add the wine before pour. When I make wine soap I hot process and then add the wine after the gel phase, if I think its got too much water I just let it cook off for a bit. I get soap that comes out the same color of the red wine this way. I believe its the active lye destroying the color.

The one time I tried to use wine as lye water it did this really interesting thing where the soap was butterscotch, but after I put it in the mold, it was sweating red wine. Lol, how was all that red hiding. Ok, get this, I even sliced that loaf up, no red to be seen, anda short while later all the bars were sweating red like they were bleeding. Some kinda voodoo.

sudbubblez said:
I believe its the active lye destroying the color.

That's what I was told - it's caused by the tannins in the wine reacting to the lye. That's why I mentioned tannins in my first post. :wink:

sudbubblez said:
I believe its the active lye destroying the color.

That's what I was told - it's caused by the tannins in the wine reacting to the lye. That's why I mentioned tannins in my first post. :wink:

That's a nice tip about adding the wine before the pour. Thanks for sharing it.

Oh, I noticed something else about soaping with red wine. If it turns blue/green when it hits the batter, it will not come out red. This is what was happening to that CP batch I made with wine as lye solution... I was adding wine at heavy trace, trying to make it red, while there was still active lye and it would turn blue-ish or green ish when it hit the batter. It never changed color in HP when adding after gel so that has got to be the trick.

This is my second go. Blood orange is making the main portion of the soap orange. The wine is all I used to make the reddish color. Not sure how long it will stay that color but so far so good with the first batch. :D I am thrilled!

I am not advanced enough to do HP sudbubblez :wink: Still trying to get good batches every time with CP, doing alright :wink:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Oh yeah, and why do I have those white lines running through the wine portion of the soap? It looks cool but I know it is an indicator of something I did wrong :?

To make that soap, you mixed lye into water and topped off with wine? I don't want to HP wine soap anymore if I don't have to.

Latest posts

Back