Will these soap recipes I created work for their intended use?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always reply to old threads, because there's no point in starting new ones...

Are there any websites that give you a list of oils and all their properties, like which oils contain oleic acid, lauric acid, etc?

Does this count for all purees, like carrot puree or mashed avocado?

If i add stearic acid to a castile soap recipe to harden it or sugar for more bubbles, is it still classed as castile or does it just need to be 100% olive oil and no additives?
FYI: Free Beginner's Guide to Soapmaking: Common Soapmaking Oils - Soap Queen

@TheGecko, i tried google, and all i found was stuff like this, which is still good for bookmarking. I completely forgot that i have a book called The Power of the Seed by Susan M Parker, which lists all lipid oils and their properties in extensive detail. Its worth a look if anyone else is interested.
That article by BB is not a bad starting point. It doesn't always tell you what the FAs are, but it provides recommendations for usage rate, you get a sense of best use, shelf life and potential substitution. What you need to look for are 'fatty acid profiles/properties/composition of oils" and the start clicking. I will you that I haven't found one complete source and that is to be expected. I think at one point, I started to create my own in Excel to have a more comprehensive list and to add other information, but the SoapCalc list alone has 150 different items and that is a lot of typing. And then there are all the other soap calculators out there which lists additional items and it becomes pretty overwhelming, pretty fast.

It would be wonderful if there was an all-encompassing list that you could filter by Fatty Acids, Soap Qualities, Shelf Life, Soft Oil, Hard Oil, Butters, Lightweight and Usage.

What you need to look for are 'fatty acid profiles/properties/composition of oils" and the start clicking. I will you that I haven't found one complete source and that is to be expected. I think at one point, I started to create my own in Excel to have a more comprehensive list and to add other information
Yeah that's right. That hardcopy book i posted is about the only complete source ive found, just wish it was in an easy to follow list online. Ive started manually typing from the book into my notebook pro app on my samsung tablet, so that it is a list.

Back