Why use a soapcalc for recipes?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
soapypsychic said:
I understand it will be more difficult but it is the best way for me. I don't know where else I can get it.

What country do you live in? In most countries you can order lye from soapmaking suppliers online. If you live in Europe, you can get it from a pharmacy- that's what I do, although they usually have to special order it for me.

Could you tell me some of the common names of lye? I feel that if I ask the pharmacist for Lye, they may not understand what I am looking for.

It's more commonly found at a hardware store in the US ( it's used as a drain cleaner)- the chemical name is sodium hydroxide.

If you get a funny look, explain it is for soapmaking.

In Canada, a pharmacy wouldn't carry lye. It has no medicinal value. Its most likely in a hardware store. Make sure its pure sodium hydroxide without added things like chunks of aluminum.

Sometimes grocery stores carry it as drain opener. However, I think as of late this isn't the case anymore.

tlm884 said:
In Canada, a pharmacy wouldn't carry lye. It has no medicinal value. Its most likely in a hardware store. Make sure its pure sodium hydroxide without added things like chunks of aluminum.

Sometimes grocery stores carry it as drain opener. However, I think as of late this isn't the case anymore.
I think these aren't sold in shops here. But it would help to look at some drain cleaners.

Google on line for sodium hydroxide and Singapore and I bet you will find a supplier.

Chemical supply companies and places that sell industrial cleaning products may also be able to help. Or as others have suggested, a hardware store. Some drain cleaner is 100% lye, some is not. You'd have to check the ingredients list.

I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't be able to find sodium hydroxide in an advanced economy like Singapore's

As a last resort, New Directions Aromatics has many affiliate branches around the world. I don't remember if they sell lye or not or if they have a branch close enough to you to make the postage reasonable.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back