Whoops!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just made a batch of soap and had forgotten to change the KOH to NAOH on SoapCalc. SO, after finishing this I ran the recipe correctly and the difference was the one I made had 1.45 more oz of Lye than it should have. It was just a 2 lb batch of CPOP soap. Will this be safe to use? Jeesh. šŸ˜³ Not sure if it makes a difference, but here is what was used: 33% H2o, 7% SF, OO,CO,Crisco, GSO.

Thanks!!

Oh goodness! But all of those oils have very different sap values, so we need the actual amounts of everything.
Crisco 6.4 oz
CO-9.6
GSO-3.2
OO-12.8

I used 6.24 of NAOH (should have been 4.79) and 10.56 Buttermilk instead of water. I colored with a bit of paprika and added 3 TBSP of bentonite clay w/ red iron oxide. Then just a tsp of TD in a smaller portion.....

Thank you Gemstone Pony!!

Your soap has something around a -30% lye excess. I hate to tell you this, but that much extra NaOH is most likely never going to cure out. I would discard it.
Got it! Thank you so much!

What DeeAnna said. And with that level of excess, I wouldn't even try to rebatch, as any missed lumps that made it into the final soap could be catastrophic.
Thank you GemstonePony! It's a goner. :)

Good point, Carolyn. Salting-out is a lot of fiddly work, and I agree the results are ... tolerably okay.

For a 2 pound batch like this, it's probably better to trash it and move on with making new soap.

Back