which wood to use for mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalpanaganesan

Reaction score
hai.Iam an indian.I started making soaps.For the molds which tree would be a good choice if i ask a local carpenter to get me one.can we use a painted wood or just raw timber.Can i make use of the cheapest availble timber.here neem is easily available and some other also.can we make a mold using plywood

I don't think it really matters, as long as it is sturdy enough to hold your soap. You will have to line it with paper anyway, so the soap is not going to get into contact with the wood.
I would think raw wood and/or plywood would work well.

Any thing should work if its thick enough to hold its shape. As mentioned you need to line it.
I'd go for plain wood not painted as lye might affect the paint.
Tip: Think about the length of loaf you want and add a little at each end for end cuts.

Being in the great sub continent of India, you might have access to bamboo wood. If bamboo wood was more available in the states, I would use it for all of my mold boxes.

Just about any dry wood will work but the most important thing is the thickness of the wood you use. It should be at least an 1/8 inch (3cm)thick ,this will prevent the wood from warping if it gets wet. Also if a board is repeatedly heated with moisture, like during gel phase, it can warp. You don't need to go any thicker than an 1/4 inch (6cm), it will make it unnecessarily heavy. I also recommend that you nail or screw it together along with using wood glue. Glue by itself is more prone to heavy warping.

Last thing, if you have any native wood that grows in wet areas, like cypress in the United States, that wood is better suited for what you are doing.

Being in the great sub continent of India, you might have access to bamboo wood. If bamboo wood was more available in the states, I would use it for all of my mold boxes.

Just about any dry wood will work but the most important thing is the thickness of the wood you use. It should be at least an 1/8 inch (3cm)thick ,this will prevent the wood from warping if it gets wet. Also if a board is repeatedly heated with moisture, like during gel phase, it can warp. You don't need to go any thicker than an 1/4 inch (6cm), it will make it unnecessarily heavy. I also recommend that you nail or screw it together along with using wood glue. Glue by itself is more prone to heavy warping.

Last thing, if you have any native wood that grows in wet areas, like cypress in the United States, that wood is better suited for what you are doing.
Many thanks for your reply and happy to hear your apreciation for india.Thank you very much

Any thing should work if its thick enough to hold its shape. As mentioned you need to line it.
I'd go for plain wood not painted as lye might affect the paint.
Tip: Think about the length of loaf you want and add a little at each end for end cuts.
Thanks a lot for your suggestion and let me research on the type of lining to be done.Thank you

I don't think it really matters, as long as it is sturdy enough to hold your soap. You will have to line it with paper anyway, so the soap is not going to get into contact with the wood.
I would think raw wood and/or plywood would work well.
Many thanks for your reply

FWIW -- 1/8 inch is approximately 3 millimeters, not 3 centimeters. Likewise for 1/4 inch ~= 6 mm

Just about any dry wood will work but the most important thing is the thickness of the wood you use. It should be at least an 1/8 inch (3cm)thick .....You don't need to go any thicker than an 1/4 inch (6cm)
Of course these should be millimetres, not centimetres: 1/8 inch (3 mm), 1/4 inch (6 mm).

Oops - overlooked DeeAnna's fresponse.

You can also line your molds with plastic trash bags, plastic cutting mats that are trimmed to fit, or custom-made silicone mold liners. The second and third options mentioned have the advantage of being reusable.

Latest posts

Back