Where is it safe to throw away a failed batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sai

Reaction score
My first 2 attempts have been a total failure.

I tried castile oil, cold process. Thpught I had a light trace, wouldnt solidify. Tried to save it with hot process and made a mess. Now the lye and oil are separated and I dont know where is it safe to through it away. Any ideas??

Thanks in advance!!! :)

If the lye portion is still liquid, it can be diluted with water and poured down the sink. The rest would kind of depend on whether the oils part was solid or liquid. If it's solid, double bag it in a trash bag and discard like you normally would anything. If it's liquid, find a container you can put it in (something like an empty milk jug should work fine), bag it and discard.

can you give your recipe and describe your process? What did you use for scent?

No need to trash it. Ditto what Dixie said. If you share your recipe, it can probably be saved. Off the top of my head, without knowing details, you maybe able to rebatch it or HP it in a crockpot.

You could also go over to the Beginner's Forum and look for the Sticky titled "Beginner's Learn to Soap Online". Scroll on down to the Lovin' Soap information. Hopefully, that may provide the info you need to have a successful result the next time.

HTH :bunny:

I'm scratching my head wondering why the HP didn't work? That's why I'm asking what fragrance you used. If you used a fragrance not intended for soaping (perhaps a room fragrance from Dollar Tree? Or perfume?) then it might have contained ingredients that caused separation. If that's the case, the soap is unsalvageable and unsafe.

Hi!!

Thanks a lot to everyone!! I through it away as Kittish said.

For the recipe I used 450gr olive oil, 150 water and 58 sodium hydroxide, that's all. It took me one hour dto disolve the lye, so Im guessing I need a higher percentage one. The lightest trace took forever too and the day after it was all separated. I attempted to save it with hot process as i read somewhere and it just got worst. It divided into oil and small pearls, so I through it away.

Thanks for all your help, I'll keep trying and I've already started checking out the beginners forum.

Cheers!
Sai

the brand is called Unex, its a one kg pack that i found at the supermarket. ill go buy a better one at a soap making place.

Slainte!

Latest posts

Back