Where can I get 190 proof (95% pure) ethyl alcohol?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My order turned out just fine, and it tasted great! No, wait!?! ?!? :D I haven't even opened the bottles. They're waiting there until I get sufficient experience to try making transparent soap via Failor's method. WineChateau.com was a good merchant and I'd order from them again any time.

For transparent soap 190 proof is preferable (95%). I was reading about perfumer's alcohol at one of the sites and something set off warning bells for me but I forgot what. Does it have additives??? Or maybe it was just the price. My Everclear 190 has only water, it's drinkable (provided diluted to proper strength) and it's not expensive less than $14 per 750 mL bottle excuding shipping.

Note that 151 Everclear is available in some states that prohibit 190 proof (California). Anybody buying it should understand which they are buying and should understand process requirements. Failor's transparent soap process prefers the highest proof alcohol, 190 proof 95%. Lesser concentrations produce inferior results.

So how is perfumer's alcohol different? I'd love to hear more about your process of making tinctures, perhaps in a thread of it's own if you feel talkative.

I think we'll have Everclear 151 and 190 as long as people want to drink cocktails, IOW forever. It's unthinkable that we could have a teetotaler society in the future, more likely the opposite considering the profliferation of drugs. :( Your only problem at all will be if you're in a dry state or in a state that prohibits shipping in alcohol. Fortunately most states as far as I know even those who don't sell it don't prevent it being shipped in, California being one example. I'd sure hate to try to get 190 in Utah. Sometimes I've been stuck not even being able to get wine in UT. :) Those state stores and short hours are nuts! :shock:

digit said:
SoapyGal - My intentions were to extract oil from herbs and florals. Once done, I slowly evaporate the alcohol off and have the oil left. I just order the oils now. It is great for making tinctures if you can get it.

Digit

Maybe that's what the author of the book was trying to do, as well... just trying to make a high-octane herbal soap.

Maybe I'll try it.

Thanks for your input. :)

Lovehound said:
My I haven't even opened the bottles. They're waiting there until I get sufficient experience to try making transparent soap via Failor's method. WineChateau.com was a good merchant and I'd order from them again any time.

Here's my curiosity again :oops:

Why do you want to try transparent soap? Just to learn all the various soapmaking that's out there?

Or is there a benefit to the skin in transparent soap that CP soap doesn't have?

I've always liked Neutrogena but honestly I think ordinary CP soap is probably better for your skin.

Why do I want to make my own? One word: embeds

I want to make my own transparent soap so that I can chop it up and throw it in the mold before I pour a batch of CP into same mold. Wouldn't that be a great look with your opaque bar and transparent windows in it? Kind of like stained glass.

I also do stained glass BTW although I haven't made any in quite a long time. In fact it's time to get back to doing it again.

Besides, transparent is kinda cool. How many people do that?

Lovehound said:
I've always liked Neutrogena but honestly I think ordinary CP soap is probably better for your skin.

Why do I want to make my own? One word: embeds

I want to make my own transparent soap so that I can chop it up and throw it in the mold before I pour a batch of CP into same mold. Wouldn't that be a great look with your opaque bar and transparent windows in it? Kind of like stained glass.

I also do stained glass BTW although I haven't made any in quite a long time. In fact it's time to get back to doing it again.

Besides, transparent is kinda cool. How many people do that?

Oh yeah... I saw that stained glass soap idea in Cavitch's book.... it is kind of clever now that I think about it.

I've seen alot of people play with M&P tha way... they throw shreds of this & that together to make it look interesting.

Maybe when I'm old hat at this I might do stuff like that... I'm still working with the basics!!

I hope you have success with it!!

SoapyGal said:
Oh yeah... I saw that stained glass soap idea in Cavitch's book.... it is kind of clever now that I think about it.

I've seen alot of people play with M&P tha way... they throw shreds of this & that together to make it look interesting.

Maybe when I'm old hat at this I might do stuff like that... I'm still working with the basics!!

I hope you have success with it!!
Aw C'mon, you and I will be experts before the summer is over. We will laugh over this! :D

Lovehound said:
Your only problem at all will be if you're in a dry state or in a state that prohibits shipping in alcohol. Fortunately most states as far as I know even those who don't sell it don't prevent it being shipped in, California being one example.

It's a problem. They don't ship Everclear to PA. However........since I am on the border............. Good Lord, I feel like a thief or smuggler. :shock:

It's not like I am driving down a dirt road back in my home state to aquire a jar of "medicine" for my "ails"!!! My dad tells how on certain days, (way back when) a Piggly Wiggly trailer truck would be on a particular highway and only sold sugar. :lol: :lol:

Digit

lol the moonshiners are why fast cars were invented pretty much lol all the old race car drivers used to moonlight for the moonshiners...that stuff is some cool history if you ever look into it!

Latest posts

Back