what's your favorite lathering accessory?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreabadgley

Reaction score
I've tried natural sponges, terrycloth washcloths, hand-knit cotton washcloths, and just a naked bar. I think the hand-knit washcloths are probably my favorite. The natural sponge absorbed WAY too much of the soap and it seemed like a bar of soap might only last a week if I kept using the sponge. The terrycloth washcloths were, I don't know, too boring. the hand-knit washcloths were better. They seem to lather better (and of course, being handmade, they've got soul), but they still absorb a good amount of soap. So I'm wondering, what accessories do you all prefer?

The absolute best for me is one of those nylon bath poof's. I get TONS of bubbles.

Chris

I've never seen a hand knit washcloth - what rock have I been living under?

I always use a terry washcloth (we call them facecloths over here in Aussieland). I've tried a nylon bath puff and didn't feel as well washed (does that make sense?). Can you post a pick of a hand knit one pretty please? I am guessing it is made from woollen thread and is just a plain square....I can make one to try for myself if I see it, I think :wink:

Tanya :)

Oh yes, if you're a knitter you can totally make one yourself. I use 100% cotton yarn. You can make them however you like - with a border, without a border, with a pattern, without a pattern...

Here are a couple pics (I did not knit these, btw - I've knit a few for my family, but these were knit by a friend of mine):

I use terry washcloths, only I've always called them facecloths, too, like TopCat does. I bought a nice bundle of them at Kohl's a month or so ago and I just love them. They are not too thick and not too thin. They are just right. :) I've found that if my facecloths are too thick it messes in a negative way with my lather and absorbs too much of my soap, but the ones I just bought at Kohl's are perfect. I've used the nylon poufy thing and tried so hard to like it because my soap always lathered like the dickens with it (even my 100% Castile), but alas, my skin just likes the softer feel of a facecloth instead.

IrishLass

LOL I am hairy enough that my body creates enough lather to make me happy =)

I use a "soap cozy" or "soap sack". A lot of people on etsy make them. You can get terrycloth ones, but I like crocheted ones. They're just little bags that you pop your bar of soap into.

I use both face-cloths (we call them that here too) and nylon poufs. It never occurred to me to use my knitted face-cloths though - I use them as dish cloths.... :? They work really, really good as dish cloths too. Mine are knit with cotton yarn as well...Love them!!!

Lindy said:
I use both face-cloths (we call them that here too) and nylon poufs. It never occurred to me to use my knitted face-cloths though - I use them as dish cloths.... :? They work really, really good as dish cloths too. Mine are knit with cotton yarn as well...Love them!!!
Yep, that's what I use mine for is dish cloths. I crochet mine though since I don't know how to knit. :)

topcat said:
I've never seen a hand knit washcloth - what rock have I been living under?

I always use a terry washcloth (we call them facecloths over here in Aussieland). I've tried a nylon bath puff and didn't feel as well washed (does that make sense?). Can you post a pick of a hand knit one pretty please? I am guessing it is made from woollen thread and is just a plain square....I can make one to try for myself if I see it, I think :wink:

Tanya :)
i crochet washclothes with cotton yarn only(they absorb and dont melt if you use for potholder) they are THE best. I sometimes sell with my soap!

I've knitted dishcloths out of the cotton yarn before, but I never even THOUGHT of using them as a washcloth for me.

I guess I'm just not very imaginiative, but I'm going to be looking for some yarn scraps when I clean out the attic! :)

I can't knit, but I've seriously thought about crocheting some of the cotton cloths. I love them in the kitchen, they're probably great in the shower too !

jbarad said:
I can't knit, but I've seriously thought about crocheting some of the cotton cloths. I love them in the kitchen, they're probably great in the shower too !

I bet they would be. My mother crochets; I should ask her if she'd be willing to do a trial run.

MikeInPdx said:
jbarad said:

I bet they would be. My mother crochets; I should ask her if she'd be willing to do a trial run.

Like I said, I "can" crochet. Can being the key word there. I have a 5 year old granddaughter that I started crocheting a blanket for when we found out my son and DIL were expecting. As of this writing, her blanket is about an inch tall and that's it :oops:

Someday I'll add more to it and just call it a scarf LOL

I've been trying to talk my one son into crocheting the cotton cloths but he just looks at me like I'm a moron and walks away.

I can knit .. I just have so much trouble finishing the ends. If you can knit, crocheting isn't hard either, I actually find it a little easier. Those handmade washcloths are so lovely!! I'm jealous.

Latest posts

Back