What went wrong?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dOttY

Reaction score
Ok, so my round swirl soap is cut, but it fraught with problems.... I don't know if it will affect my soap, as soap, or is just unpleasing to the eye.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

First cut off end:
CoolWatersSwirlcut3.jpg

The rest of the slices:
CoolWaterSwirlcut1.jpg

CoolWatersSwirlcut2.jpg

I used BB's "Cold Water" FO. And the cream side, was meant to be white, and contains Titanium Dioxide. I don't know if it's separation, or what it is. The soap is not oily, it's just ugly....

Titanium dioxide. Happens sometimes. I've had it happen, hasn't effected the soap's performance and did not make it dangerous to use.

I have no answer for you regarding the crackled look. I just letting you know that the first slice of soap is beautiful and I am always impressed by your soaps.

I am interested in knowing why the rest have that crackled look. I think a batch or two of mine also have that.

I'm surprised you haven't come across this in your research.
Crackling is not uncommon in soap, especially when using TiO2. There are many theories on why it happens and how to avoid it - but like DOS, the fix is elusive.

carebear said:
I'm surprised you haven't come across this in your research.
Crackling is not uncommon in soap, especially when using TiO2. There are many theories on why it happens and how to avoid it - but like DOS, the fix is elusive.

I have only read reports of chalky soap in regards to TD... It's very offputting to use now, and is obviously fraught with issues :(

serfmunke said:
I have no answer for you regarding the crackled look. I just letting you know that the first slice of soap is beautiful and I am always impressed by your soaps.
I am interested in knowing why the rest have that crackled look. I think a batch or two of mine also have that.

Thank you very much! That's the most supportive and lovely thing anyone has pretty much said to me, in here! It's comments like that, that give me inspiration to soldier on, after such an ugly outcome as this soap!

Thank you so so much :)

I don't think it's ugly... I think people would look at that and say "how did you do that?!"

it looks very lovely, I think!

I've gotten a similar look when the batter is too cool and the hard oils/butters start to harden. Never used TD so I know that's not it (for mine I mean). I'm assuming in your case, it's TD since everyone else links it to that - but something to be aware of in the future.

Also, IT'S NOT UGLY! It's gorgeous and the cracks add a nice element to them. No one would never know you didn't mean to do that if you didn't tell them.

Dotty- let us know in a few weeks how the Cold Water FO holds up. I tried a small batch for a friend who is a fan of the cologne and it faded for me. I went a little under the usual 1oz ppo because a lot of times the cologne or perfume scents are overwhelming. I was disappointed.

PrairieCraft, I know you asked dotty, but I made a batch for my hubby in March and kept one of the bars - it's still got a good scent. I used 1oz (all I had) in 26oz of oil.

AmyW said:
I've gotten a similar look when the batter is too cool and the hard oils/butters start to harden. Never used TD so I know that's not it (for mine I mean). I'm assuming in your case, it's TD since everyone else links it to that - but something to be aware of in the future.

Also, IT'S NOT UGLY! It's gorgeous and the cracks add a nice element to them. No one would never know you didn't mean to do that if you didn't tell them.

Interesting Amy. I wonder if soaping hotter would counteract what you've experienced, or not? I assume I soap 'cooler', about 40°C (unsure of °F)

I think it's an ugly soap, one because of the crackling, and secondly, I wanted a nice blue! Not this ugly greenish denim blue that happened. But it smells ever so sexy! If only I could sleep with it, sexy scented 'man' without the snoring element!

PC, I'll report back with how the fragrance copes... Right now, it's as sexy as sin! ;)

I posted in your other thread as well, but I have found Cool Water FOs to discolor to a pink/mauve with time, so don't be surprised if that color shows up. Could be part of the issue with your soap not being white. I stink with TD, never get it right, so can't make any suggestions there. THe swirl is nice though! and I have had to tell myself over and over to pull back and look at your soaps with a stranger's eye, not with what your own vision was. It's surprising how often you'll find your soap looks nicer than you think!

AmyW said:
PrairieCraft, I know you asked dotty, but I made a batch for my hubby in March and kept one of the bars - it's still got a good scent. I used 1oz (all I had) in 26oz of oil.

Thanks, Amy. Now I've got to try again, darn it. That's what I get for blabbing about being able to make soap that smells like anything. The things we smell to make the people we like happy. (don't like the smell of that stuff at all, had to tell aforementioned friend that he was wearing the stuff waay too heavy) Sigh

Whose version? I used BBs - I haven't seen any others but to be honest I really don't pay that much attention lol

I like it A LOT better than BB's Drakkar Type. That stuff is way too strong and too "guy doused himself in cologne to hide something he's been up to" LOL

I've used BB's Cool Water at about 1 ounce ppo and found the scent held up very well over time. The discoloration always ticks me off a little though, because I can't put that scent with the color pink in my head. I was just talking to someone today who also HATES this scent- way to "cologne-y" and practically makes her sick. I like it!

dOttY said:
Interesting Amy. I wonder if soaping hotter would counteract what you've experienced, or not? I assume I soap 'cooler', about 40°C (unsure of °F)

104f = 40c (love google calc) and I believe the time I got the swirly cocoa butter separation I was at 95-100f (35-37.7c) and put it basically outside (unheated laundry room with the window open in winter) to prevent gel.

AmyW said:
Whose version? I used BBs - I haven't seen any others but to be honest I really don't pay that much attention lol

I like it A LOT better than BB's Drakkar Type. That stuff is way too strong and too "guy doused himself in cologne to hide something he's been up to" LOL

It was the BB Cold Water that I tried. The overweight smelly old man who wears the cologne all the time ruined that scent and most of the axe scents for me. My poor nose.

PrairieCraft said:
AmyW said:

It was the BB Cold Water that I tried. The overweight smelly old man who wears the cologne all the time ruined that scent and most of the axe scents for me. My poor nose.

Don'tcha just abhor sensory associations! Ugh. I'm ROFL though!

Back