What went wrong? Expanded and chalky

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christellita

Reaction score
ARGH! I'm frustrated. I made a batch yesterday, a recipe I have done before, and it came out really weird. It has: 6.4 oz apricot kernal oil, 19 oz each of coconut, palm and olive oil, 8.8 oz lye, and 23 oz H20. It's about a 8% superfat. It barely gelled in the center. Then, it got really bloated and expanded, so there was like bulge rise in the middle. I cut it today, and it's all crumbly and weird. Oh and the EOs I added were 2.4 oz lavender, 1.0 oz clary sage.
Help!

Well two things could possibly be the problem.

The bulge could be from overheating. Did you wrap it too much? Was the temp off in the house.. warmer? The expanded is because of the heating taking process in the mold.

The chalky could be lye heavy, or alot of ash, if its ash.. its because your temps were not regulated for the soap.

that makes total sense. Thank you so much. My house is pretty cold because of the winter, so i've been putting my soap in a heated room. I didn't want the temp to drop too quickly. Do you leave your soap in a room that;s more or less room temperature?

What you could do, because it gets really cold here in the winter. You can put your oven on warm, and turn it off when you are ready to put your soap in the mold, and then put it in the oven over night. the pilot is lit, its more than enough heat for installation and that way your temps wont drop fast.

Just my thoughts, I make mine in the garage, it's winter, temps vary between 5 and 15 degrees celcius and I have never had the flaky chalky problem ( except for the batch that I got mad at). I have wrapped some, and not wrapped others, same difference.
I have Hp'd a batch, Cp a lot, CPOP a couple and basically tried to abuse most of my batches to get them to fail so I can find a set point. So far, all I have failed at was a super coloured, super scented CP batch of 100%canola. But I went way offbase with that. It wouldn't trace. so I actually (carefully I might add) added what I know to be a saponifiable oil, PO, and then more lye/water solution 2x to finally get light trace with the understanding that I may be handing it over for disposal. As it is, it turned out, I checked all sides of the cut product with Phenophaline to check alkalinity and even though it is flaky, dry, chalky, ugly, it is not alkaline. I don't know how much faith I put in gellimg a soap as I've done it both ways with practically the same result. I do believe that some insulation helps set up the soap faster but whether or not it makes better soap is up for debate. If you are from a warmer clime I would suggest forgetting about insulation and seeing what happens naturally.

Jeremy said:
Just my thoughts, I make mine in the garage, it's winter, temps vary between 5 and 15 degrees celcius and I have never had the flaky chalky problem ( except for the batch that I got mad at). I have wrapped some, and not wrapped others, same difference.
I have Hp'd a batch, Cp a lot, CPOP a couple and basically tried to abuse most of my batches to get them to fail so I can find a set point. So far, all I have failed at was a super coloured, super scented CP batch of 100%canola. But I went way offbase with that. It wouldn't trace. so I actually (carefully I might add) added what I know to be a saponifiable oil, PO, and then more lye/water solution 2x to finally get light trace with the understanding that I may be handing it over for disposal. As it is, it turned out, I checked all sides of the cut product with Phenophaline to check alkalinity and even though it is flaky, dry, chalky, ugly, it is not alkaline. I don't know how much faith I put in gellimg a soap as I've done it both ways with practically the same result. I do believe that some insulation helps set up the soap faster but whether or not it makes better soap is up for debate. If you are from a warmer clime I would suggest forgetting about insulation and seeing what happens naturally.

I hardly ever have a failed batch, and if I do have one..its because I been experimenting way too much.

From 9 years experience, I know for personal when its so cold here..and I have the heater on in my house, and I have a window open over the soap, or even by the soap... that what she describes happen. Is it useable yes of course.. sellable.. heck no.

I have had soap heat up and volcano out of my log due to installation.. especially using honey, beeswax, anything floral scented etc.. It will expand and if it feels like.. it will leave the mold.

I understand what your saying.. but I dont think she wants continued failed batches, or ugly soap.

Latest posts

Back