What type of palm oil to buy? + Coconut oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The price includes shipping.

Whoops....does NOT include shipping. Shipping is $25+.

I have a feeling The Lye Guy is a better bet. If he had a way I could just drive up to pick up and order, it would be a trip well made (Central NY has some good wineries :))

I have a feeling The Lye Guy is a better bet. If he had a way I could just drive up to pick up and order, it would be a trip well made (Central NY has some good wineries :))

Is his lye food grade?

If true, I would think that the heavy metals would get into our bodies through the skin in soap.

That's not actually a realistic concern. It's fine to use food grade, and it certainly sounds appealing, but you don't have to. It's literally certified for use in food, and we don't eat soap. There are expert soapmakers making fine quality products -- just as safe and good as any -- using technical grade sodium hydroxide.

The manufacturers often make more grades than that, but only certain ones are available through our suppliers. Bramble Berry has a reagent-grade sodium hydroxide that I would like to find a good (economical) source for. The reason is that it comes in flakes.

I love using the flake form. Most of what we get is microbeads, which can fly around from static electricity when the air is dry or get sticky when the air is humid. Good luck when you need to measure into an interim container. It's a pain to get everything you measured into the water. With the flakes, no problem.

If we had a choice, the form of the caustic might be more important than the grade.

That's not actually a realistic concern. It's fine to use food grade, and it certainly sounds appealing, but you don't have to. It's literally certified for use in food, and we don't eat soap. There are expert soapmakers making fine quality products -- just as safe and good as any -- using technical grade sodium hydroxide.

The manufacturers often make more grades than that, but only certain ones are available through our suppliers. Bramble Berry has a reagent-grade sodium hydroxide that I would like to find a good (economical) source for. The reason is that it comes in flakes.

I love using the flake form. Most of what we get is microbeads, which can fly around from static electricity when the air is dry or get sticky when the air is humid. Good luck when you need to measure into an interim container. It's a pain to get everything you measured into the water. With the flakes, no problem.

If we had a choice, the form of the caustic might be more important than the grade.

That DOES sound ideal!! I need to look into that the next time I order lye. I did the math and ED came out cheaper on the lye so I ordered this a.m.

That's great to hear. I personally HATE their Naoh lye (those super small beads are of the debil!! :evil:) but they are a good price. You should have got some beef tallow from them too. I really like theirs- little smell (it's a little meaty and very creamy to me) and nicely priced. Beef tallow is LOVELY in soap, especially milk soap.

That's great to hear. I personally HATE their Naoh lye (those super small beads are of the debil!! :evil:) but they are a good price. You should have got some beef tallow from them too. I really like theirs- little smell (it's a little meaty and very creamy to me) and nicely priced. Beef tallow is LOVELY in soap, especially milk soap.

I joined their fyi101 membership, so I am getting some free samples of EOs and other goodies. There are promo codes to use....one per order, so it tirns out better in some cases to place separate orders, so yeah...thanks! I may try some tallow from them. Is it better than the one from Soaper's Choice?

I bought a tub of lard from Walmart yesterday to give it a whirl. I think my anti-lard stance is breaking down. Palm oil from Soaper's Choice arriving tomorrow. A friend is coming over on Thursday and we will be having girl's day in! Soaping!! : ) We will try a batch with lard and a batch with Palm and compare the diff!

I joined their fyi101 membership, so I am getting some free samples of EOs and other goodies. There are promo codes to use....one per order, so it tirns out better in some cases to place separate orders, so yeah...thanks! I may try some tallow from them. Is it better than the one from Soaper's Choice?

I bought a tub of lard from Walmart yesterday to give it a whirl. I think my anti-lard stance is breaking down. Palm oil from Soaper's Choice arriving tomorrow. A friend is coming over on Thursday and we will be having girl's day in! Soaping!! : ) We will try a batch with lard and a batch with Palm and compare the diff!

No clue about Soaper's choice. I never ordered since I don't need 50lbs of tallow. This is my hobby until I muster up enough will to finish my scarf and make a car blanket for my kid.

No clue about Soaper's choice. I never ordered since I don't need 50lbs of tallow. This is my hobby until I muster up enough will to finish my scarf and make a car blanket for my kid.

Soaper's Choice has 7lb containers of tallow, you do not have to get the 50lb block.

I order from SC because it is a state away. If I order early enough, I get it within a day, and shipping is pretty cheap. This of course all depends on where you are - if you are closer to FL than you are IL, then ED might be better for you.

ED on the other hand - I have heard too much about bad customer service, and their shipping is alot more expensive and takes longer to get to me. Plus they have that super annoying spokesperson who spreads all kinds of bad info.

As for the difference between lard and palm, I can not tell the difference in the final product. My palm recipe seems to trace quicker than lard, but I have been able to swirl away using either.

As in all things to do with soap, individual experience will vary.

Soaper's Choice has 7lb containers of tallow, you do not have to get the 50lb block.

I order from SC because it is a state away. If I order early enough, I get it within a day, and shipping is pretty cheap. This of course all depends on where you are - if you are closer to FL than you are IL, then ED might be better for you.

ED on the other hand - I have heard too much about bad customer service, and their shipping is alot more expensive and takes longer to get to me. Plus they have that super annoying spokesperson who spreads all kinds of bad info.

As for the difference between lard and palm, I can not tell the difference in the final product. My palm recipe seems to trace quicker than lard, but I have been able to swirl away using either.

Even 7lbs is way too much. Thanks though. :)

What company is in SC?

And who is the ED spokesperson that you are referring to that gives bad info? The blonde lady who makes / sells soap and also teaches soap making on Youtube or the "voice" on "soaping 101" videos?

It will be interesting for us to see what our observations are between lard and palm when we conduct our experiments tomorrow!

SC is Soaper's Choice.

No, Cathy McGinnis is the voice of soaping 101, and I have a lot of respect for her.

Yes, again, everyone has a different experience with soap, so it will be nice to hear what you think.

Latest posts

Back