What to do with all this soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's the dilemma. I'm enjoying making soap, but I don't have a soap business, and it's starting to stack up! (Insert frowning wife here) So I've been thinking of ideas for how to use it for some "return on my investment." Obviously small, unexpected gifts, what my wife and all good southern women call "happys" is always a good use as are teacher gifts. Here's another thought. My mom is almost 80 and on a fixed income. She loves doing mission trips to Thailand, and many families in her church make donations towards her travel expenses. I'm thinking of making soap for her to give as thank-you's to those nice folks who contribute on her behalf. It's not exactly income for me, but it saves her from feeling like she has to spend $$$ she doesn't have to express her appreciation. What creative ideas do you all have for gifting soaps?

I give some to the lady who cuts my hair, the mail lady, keep my family and friends stocked, co-workers, have donated gift baskets to church raffles..... I would love to set up a business but I work full time so don't want to try to run a business on the side, but I love making soap so I make it and give it away. May not be economical but it makes me feel good and I get lots of feedback.

Teacher gifts, donations to silent auctions and other fundraisers, and thank you gifts. If somebody does something nice or invites me to dinner or something, they get a random act of soap in exchange.

also willing to stock what i cant buy up front in my store. if you wanna try to turn a profit on a regular

Also think about donating it to animal or homeless shelters (shred it and make powdered laundry soap too!)

The pH level of animal's skin is quite different from human skin. I wouldn't recommend donating to an animal shelter without talking to a vet or experienced animal person. Soap which is fine for us can be drying and cause skin irritations for animals.

I have some left over soaps I was thinking to also donate to a thrift shop and shelter

The pH level of animal's skin is quite different from human skin. I wouldn't recommend donating to an animal shelter without talking to a vet or experienced animal person. Soap which is fine for us can be drying and cause skin irritations for animals.

I meant for the workers not the animals :) one of the animal rescue shelters here is always looking for cleaning supplies. At Christmas I gave a bunch of t-shirt rags, dish soap for the workers and homemade laundry powder with the recipe for washing their rags and towels. Most rescue places live off donations so these things are appreciated!

Thanks for the clarification. I'm used to seeing posts about making dog soap so I made an assumption you intended the soap for dogs. Now I can happily say your suggestion is excellent!

Back