WHAT THE HECK? -LYE?!?!?!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Believe i said this before, lye is also used to peel the skin of canned mandarin parts. After a lye bath, the solution in which the parts flow is neutralized with hydrochloryc acid and rinsed with water :lol: haven't had a crave for canned mandarin ever since i know...

even worse, a Dutch specialty, the 'eierkoek' (egg cake) contains ammonia :shock:
_p543_300_beeld_eierkoek.jpg

rupertspal42 said:
i'm gonna hit up one of those pretzel places in the mall as soon as i get home! MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :D

Auntie Annie's or the Pretzelmaker? I love Pretzelmaker!!! :D

Food grade = 99%+ and wasn't made with processing equipment handling anything too scary.

Tech grade = 99%

Industrial grade = ~95% Lye (NaOH or Sodium Hydroxide), 90% seems to be more standard for potash (KOH or Potassium Hydroxide).

Also see Lutefisk... Swedish for "Lye Fish"...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutefisk

rupertspal42 said:
FOOD GRADE LYE?!?! It's used for pretzels!??!?! I thought this stuff was dangerous!!!!!! BUT WE EAT IT?!?!?!? EXXPPLLAAIINNNN!!!!! :?

You could use commercial grade for food use, too...it's not the grade that makes it something for food use, it's the purity that makes it SAFE for food use. There are plenty of ingredients like that, salt for one! Sue

rupertspal42 said:
WWHOOOAAA That's crazy sue.. I like salt.. haha and I was thinking auntie annes.. mmmmmmmmmmmmm pretzels...

I had my "rude awakening" years ago when I was at a Trade Show in NYC. The person was selling bath salts, I was buying for my online store at the time [oh yeah...I better get back to my introduction soon!] and I remembered reading a post she made online about buying salt at Home Depot because it was "cheaper"! Yes, cheaper...and made for melting snow and ice on the roads...not for relaxing in the bath! The "salt" is salt...but the purity is not the same in Food Grade, or Cosmetic Grade, as Commercial Grade. The same goes for lye...it's chemically the same between grades, just the level of allowable contaminents is different.

Sue

rupertspal42 said:
oh wow ok that just made 100% sense! Thanks! :D

No problem! I used to run the Handcrafted Soap Makers Guild so I learned a LOT, from the very best in the industry!!

Sue

Oh wow that'd be pretty cool to do.. lol I've been reading about this industry for about 6 months now.. then I found this sight about half a month ago now and really clicked my heels together! This sight has really helped me understand alot more about things that the books make out like you have to have a PH.D... :shock:

Latest posts

Back