What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little disappointed with my OT scents. Strawberry patch has completely faded. My mother couldn’t even smell it when I was making the soap. The soap was made for a friend and she’s still excited about it as it’s still pretty. I’ll try MMS Kalahari watermelon next time and see if that sticks better. Satsuma Guava smelled so good and strong the first week, but is starting to fade a bit. This one was my favorite too. Maybe the scent will come back after curing. I’ll have to just use it in melt and pour soaps if it doesn’t. Peche de vigne still has a scent but I had to use 4oz in a 3lb batch to get it to stick. Not really a fan of it as it smells more floral than anything peach to my nose. The only scent that has not faded is Caribbean Pineapple and I realize now that I’m not a fan of pineapple.

Last edited:
Today I unmolded some of my second batch of salt soap. I liked making the first batch so much that I grabbed some salt and coconut oil at Wally World Sunday morning and started weighting and melting and mixing. This time I went with a 2.0:1 water:lye ratio and it was pretty thick batter by the time I got it all into the bar molds. I will probably bump up the water a bit next time 'round. The earliest bars (the oval is an example) look solid, except for some salt I failed to mix in (another thing to fix), but the rectangle bars have some air pockets. I am thinking of the 'shakers' we used in the foundry to settle the sand, and wondering if something like that could help me with these air pockets. I'll put these on the shelf as 'seconds' or perhaps as 'rustic' bars (har har) and hope for the best. I won't tell you the total weight of the batch because I don't want to scare anyone.*

Edited to add a photo of the 42 bars of soap sitting on top of my freezer, starting the cure.
View attachment 75632
I put it on top of the towel so that show up for the photo, and now I'm going to move it onto paper so that there's no chance of the towel transferring dye or something.
-=-
*that's a joke

View attachment 75626

Component
%
Coconut Oil (Great Value & BJ’s)
100​
Non-Iodized table salt
100​
Water
Lye
Sodium Citrate
1​
EDTA
.1​
I sold my "Rustic" soap at a craft fair. They bought me out. I think telling them that this was still soap, just not as pretty, impressed them. I will need to make up a batch of salt soap, due to the fact that we are almost out. Down to 5 bars.

I've been geeking out over fonts and labels. I think I finally have a soap label I like with my newly created logo and ingredients list. Now, if I can just get the labels to print in the correct places on a piece of paper first, I might actually get to print some soap labels!

Update: It was my printer's default mode of fit the page. Once I changed it to print actual size, everything lined up perfectly.

Last edited:
I've been geeking out over fonts and labels. I think I finally have a soap label I like with my newly created logo and ingredients list. Now, if I can just get the labels to print in the correct places on a piece of paper first, I might actually get to print some soap lablabels

I found a printing place that design and print my labels for R1.10 per label ..lot better and quick

WSP Green Tea Massage bars. Used in the pot swirl. Some bars are more green than others. Added poppy seeds too. Will see how scent retention is.

JS Lime Kicker using this dual funnel pour thing I got. Wasn’t having success with 4 colors and both times I tried the soap separated with two different scents. This time I used only two colors and then did a chopstick swirl for funsies. I love the scent and hope it sticks.

Attachments

• IMG_2628.jpeg
    IMG_2628.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2630.jpeg
    IMG_2630.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2631.jpeg
    IMG_2631.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
WSP Green Tea Massage bars. Using in the pot swirl. Added poppy seeds too. Will see how scent retention is.

JS Lime Kicker using this dual funnel pour. Wasn’t having success with 4 colors and both times I tried the soap separated with two different scents. This time I used two only two colors and then did a chopstick swirl for funsies. I love the scent and hope it sticks.
It definitely looks pretty! The swirly ones, that is 😄 Such pretty contrast! I'm sure the massage bars are great too!

More like a passive soapy day. Received my order of Abyssinian oil, anxious to try it.
My son the beekeeper moved back in for awhile. He's handier than his dad and made a wood holder for my tall n skinny mold because it keeps bowing out.

Zingy Junior also expressed interest in making soap using my recipe with beeswax and honey. Hmmm, he must be up to something. He also wants to watch Star Wars movies with me. I feel like he's buttering me up for something!

I finished my last weekend of markets for the season, and I’m beat! I’m so excited to focus on other things for a while, like reorganizing my studio (big IKEA order arriving today!), 😬 experimenting with olive oil substitutions, experimenting with making new products (what’s all this talk about sugar scrubs, said grandma 👵🏻), doing more fragrance testing, oh and… (ug) taxes. Today in New Hampshire there is a crazy rain storm, with a warm breeze that feels tropical. Disturbingly unusual but the fresh air from my open window sure is nice.

This wasn't today, it was yesterday's soapy thang. I packaged and labeled soaps. I made and labeled lotion bars. We had our annual Christmas Par-tay. Party favors included Mrs. Zing's cranberry nut bread and my soaps and lotion bars.

Am really lovin' the Abyssinian oil in my new and improved lotion bars! Am feeling just a titch disloyal to my mmmeadowfoam seed oil....

This wasn't today, it was yesterday's soapy thang. I packaged and labeled soaps. I made and labeled lotion bars. We had our annual Christmas Par-tay. Party favors included Mrs. Zing's cranberry nut bread and my soaps and lotion bars.

Am really lovin' the Abyssinian oil in my new and improved lotion bars! Am feeling just a titch disloyal to my mmmeadowfoam seed oil....
How very dare you! Poor wee meadowfoam oil.

Nice spoon action on the top. Looks cool.
Funny you found that old post - the cocoa butter is now $13 for 100g, so if I thought it was expensive before...! And now the supermarket is cheaper than my supplier. Except the supermarket has been out of stock for about 7 months. I blame covid.

Back