What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made the pull through with neons today and didn’t end up using the “toilet plunger” (lol @Mobjack Bay) after all. The squeeze bottles with the straws was kind of a pain - I’ll have the see if the results are dramatically better to decide if I do all that again 🌸
I'm totally with you on that one. I use a funnel because the squeeze bottles - lined or not - made me cray-cray! ! I repurposed all of squeeze bottles into the kitchen for condiments. My husband is still in shock since it's always the other way around (stuff goes from kitchen to soap room, from his work bench to soap room, etc.). 😁

@Catscankim You’ve given me hope! I think this batch is mostly a loss because I added too much water trying to loosen it up. Even with it being a completely liquid mess, it still feels nice on my hands.
It could use a little diluting. Considering I dropped a jar and squeegee-ing a bunch back into the container... I am going to do it the same exact way I did the first time so I know it is correct and see how it turns out, then I will play with dilution. I think it should have filled more bottles. Plus it is pretty thick. I am pretty sure my measurements are off from my little accident. Otherwise, at two 8oz bottles per 500g oil, they should sell for $50ish a bottle LOL.

My hands feel like I just put lotion on after washing with it (this now has meadowfoam oil in it). I am in love with this recipe. Even screwing it up made a lovely handwash.

And lots of bubbles!!!!

@VikingChick did you try stick blending it?

tempImagernow4k.jpg

Last edited:
In all my frenzy, I’d totally forgotten that I hadn’t diluted all of the paste I made - so I’m going to get to try again! And I have EDTA now (or “ed-ta” as Alexa called it when she told me it’d been delivered 🤭).

Also, @Catscankim…..$50/bottle?? I’m in the wrong business! (….goes off to do math to figure out how many bottles I’d have to sell in a day to allow me to quit my day job…..)

@VikingChick if it's too thin for a pump, it's probably perfect for a foamer bottle! Or, heat it back up, add a bit of that leftover paste to it, and let it sit overnight to dilute back to thickness again.

FWIW, when I diluted, I did have to add somewhere between 225 and 275g of additional water (beyond what the recipe called for) to get it to the consistency that I prefer. I got distracted forgot to write down one or two of the water additions, so that's a rough guess based on the total weight of the diluted soap. But I absolutely love love love this recipe and how my hands feel moisturized after washing with it.

@VikingChick if it's too thin for a pump, it's probably perfect for a foamer bottle! Or, heat it back up, add a bit of that leftover paste to it, and let it sit overnight to dilute back to thickness again.

FWIW, when I diluted, I did have to add somewhere between 225 and 275g of additional water (beyond what the recipe called for) to get it to the consistency that I prefer. I got distracted forgot to write down one or two of the water additions, so that's a rough guess based on the total weight of the diluted soap. But I absolutely love love love this recipe and how my hands feel moisturized after washing with it.
So…i can add extra water with nothing else?

In all my frenzy, I’d totally forgotten that I hadn’t diluted all of the paste I made - so I’m going to get to try again! And I have EDTA now (or “ed-ta” as Alexa called it when she told me it’d been delivered 🤭).

Also, @Catscankim…..$50/bottle?? I’m in the wrong business! (….goes off to do math to figure out how many bottles I’d have to sell in a day to allow me to quit my day job…..)
Joking about $50 a bottle Lol

Hmmm…i was hoping to extend the soap a little.
I think you can. Just take it slowly. It's a lot easier to add more water, than to figure out how to thicken it back up. It's a little more complicated for your recent batch due to the spillage loss, too. I'm sure you will get it dialed in where you want it.

Made a small batch of lavender this morning. Loadshedding rudely interrupted my sb and now I have spots of purple instead of a smooth gentle lilac. 🥺. Would probably have to rebatch?
At least the soaproom smells nice again after all my experiments.

I'm just cutting more soap today and making plans for more soap making once my order comes in. I haven't been on the forum lately be cause I have been making soap and I had a few soap fails due to trying to swirl with fragrances that accelerate. The FOs were good for making layers but not for swirling so now that I'm getting into swirling I needed to buy some slow moving FOs. So I can't wait till my stuff gets here. I will post picks on my gallery in a little while.
20230224_120617.jpg

I havent done any soapy stuff today. Not yet at least. I am having hotflashes like crazy.

But I did notice that my ls layered out. Thought about adding more polysorbate to it, I will wait for someone more knowledgable to direct me lol

That looks like a foamy head to me. You can spray with alcohol to knock down the foamy head (which will also thin the soap), or gently stir in a blend of water and PS80 to bring it back together. You mentioned that it was pretty thick, so it could be that you have some undissolved soap in there that really needs more water.

I'm just cutting more soap today and making plans for more soap making once my order comes in. I haven't been on the forum lately be cause I have been making soap and I had a few soap fails due to trying to swirl with fragrances that accelerate. The FOs were good for making layers but not for swirling so now that I'm getting into swirling I needed to buy some slow moving FOs. So I can't wait till my stuff gets here. I will post picks on my gallery in a little while.View attachment 71039

Ohh! Pretty!

I made my first ever batch of Neem Oil Soap this morning, and decided not to add any EO’s. It was funny really, as at the last minute I decided to add a little Matcha, not realising how such a little bit of this stuff (quarter tsp) would make my soap such a dark Khaki Green … But, I ended up really liking it, as when I look at this colour, it makes me think that the smell of Neem Oil matches it.

Back