What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Packaged my cured soaps (and bath bombs), next up labeling. Trying to figure out how I can order bulk premade labels when every batch is different…
Excited to actually make soap this week! Happy I have several batches mostly prepared.
This was my first time using the national shrink wrap system for pull throughs and other soaps. It seemed like more work than the cellophane bags I’d been using, but I like the way they look.

Attachments

• AB0255C1-A259-4750-942E-5150C47A85E8.jpeg
    AB0255C1-A259-4750-942E-5150C47A85E8.jpeg
    204.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 17056BB8-CC32-4048-962B-826EE759DB80.jpeg
    17056BB8-CC32-4048-962B-826EE759DB80.jpeg
    291.9 KB · Views: 67
I made pine tar soap today! I'm determined not to get angsty. It's just an experiment and if it works, great, if not, that's fine. I used my smallest loaf mold. That stuff is trippy, man! I refrigerated my lye solution overnight, and also let my oil mix cool down overnight. I stick blended my oils and essential oils (lavendar and cedarwood). Then I poured the lye and stuff was happening right away. I hand stirred for 14 minutes and could feel it changing minute by minute. The batter looked like delicious pudding.

I gotta kick out of Mrs. Zing. She said "wait, no pretty top? No color or swirl?" and grabbed some red glitter.

I made pine tar soap today! I'm determined not to get angsty. It's just an experiment and if it works, great, if not, that's fine. I used my smallest loaf mold. That stuff is trippy, man! I refrigerated my lye solution overnight, and also let my oil mix cool down overnight. I stick blended my oils and essential oils (lavendar and cedarwood). Then I poured the lye and stuff was happening right away. I hand stirred for 14 minutes and could feel it changing minute by minute. The batter looked like delicious pudding.

I gotta kick out of Mrs. Zing. She said "wait, no pretty top? No color or swirl?" and grabbed some red glitter.
I want to see the pine tar soap with red glitter!

I’m going to the market to purchase some Pine Tar to make Lard/Pine Tar soap for my Mama. She has Psoriasis and I am hoping it will help. I’m not scenting it, and adding Pine Tar at 12%. For those of you that are experts in Pine Tar soap, does this sound like a good amount to add?

The soapy thing I did today was make the wish version of Anne Marie's gorgeous soap using vanilla lavender by WSP.

LOL. Shout out to @Todd Ziegler because I used the HVCS and there was no battery discoloration. Worked like a dream. The problems with design were operator error only

Attachments

• 20220412_200803.jpg
    20220412_200803.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 28
I haven’t had much time to be on the forum lately, but I am making a little progress with my colorant testing. From left to right: gromwell 1:10 at 20% of oils and gelled; rhubarb (palmatum) 1:10 at 20% of oils, partial gel and with a discoloring FO (oops); rhubarb 1:10 at 5% ungelled (bee mold), red oxide 1/4 tsp ppo and ungelled, paprika 1:10 at 20 or 25% of oils and gelled.

7487F287-FB61-4223-BD14-6AD020FFFC9C.jpeg

Seems like it's coming-out-of-the-woodwork time all round!

Haven't actually made any soap since I last posted here, but yesterday I packaged all of my cured soap into smaller neater boxes so that they can be stacked away in tidy fashion instead of taking up tons of room in the kitchen and living room.

Next step is to get all of my supplies over into the new office/craft room, and once that's done I'm working up the courage to try a pine tar batch...

My other soapy thing today was to head to the beach in Georgia where I will be happy to check the local ocean water quality for anyone who wants to collect water for brine bars 🤣

View attachment 65740

This photo makes my heart sing. My grandma lived on St Simons Island, GA for year and it's one of my favorite places. Where is this?

Hope

Besides making challenge soap #2, I just scored a stainless work table in great condition for a great price! I've been using a folding craft table with a formica top, but have decided that I'd rather have the bottom shelf space and stainless work surface. Picking it up tomorrow, yay!

EDIT for Saturday morning: table is now in the soap room and I love it! Will post pics in the Soapy Space thread. :) I already used it to cut my second try at the April challenge soap.

EDIT 2: I also changed the batteries for the first time EVER in my little cheap scale that I bought on Amazon in December of 2014. That's almost eight years with the same two AAA batteries, folks! If they still made this model, I'd buy another one as a backup, for sure.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back