What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I probably shouldn't write this out loud but
@TashaBird's post really set me aback. Whaddaya mean "grew" loofah? I've never thought about the origins of loofahs and I guess I just thought they magically appeared in stores. Now I feel like my 12 year old niece when we gave her corn on the cob for the first time and she didn't know what it was!😬
LOL I grow loofah (well, I try.. this year, they all rotted) and I use a few in my display at the market. It's a little suprising how many people think they grow in the ocean. Here's a pic of last year's loofah vine.

20200731_174421.jpg 20190730_074615.jpg

LOL I grow loofah (well, I try.. this year, they all rotted) and I use a few in my display at the market. It's a little suprising how many people think they grow in the ocean. Here's a pic of last year's loofah vine.

View attachment 51440 View attachment 51441

I wonder if you can make squash blossom soup with loofah flowers? When I grew squash I frequently used the flowers in omelets and soup. But I liked them better in omelets. Those are lovely, Misschief.

I rinsed the ash off my cupcake soaps with distilled water. There wasn't nearly as much of it in the photos of them, and I don't want people to be disappointed when they see them in real life. Also, there aren't that many, so I cleaning every little crevice didn't seem as insane as it would with a larger batch.

Attachments

• 16050669193504238941437720562336.jpg
    16050669193504238941437720562336.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 25

View attachment 51440 View attachment 51441
I was just going to say myself that they look like cousins to cucumbers. Where's the emoji for 'mind blown'? Thanks all, what an educational forum this is!

I brought some soap dishes & 4 bars of soap (4 years cured, if I recall correctly) over to the house today (the house we are buying from my younger son to house my eldest son) and was so pleased to see them by the sinks ready to use. I finally found a place for this giant soap dish I bought 4 years ago:

1605067752515.png

Nice feeling. How funny 4, 4 and 4. 😻 Except I only brought over 3 soap dishes.

I finally FINALLY got around to ordering prescription safety glasses, which I picked up today. I have 30 days to test them out and return them if they don't suffice. So I have to make soap!

Trying them out in the office, I wasn't as pleased with them as I was hoping for; in fact, I can see better using my OTC reading glasses. The problem is of course, readers aren't safety glasses. The other problem is the height from which I was reading vs the height from which I read my recipe when making soap.

The only way I'll know if they are satisfactory is to make soap while wearing them and finding out if I can read my soap recipe while at my worktable.
I honestly had no idea you could get prescription goggles. Gonna have to look into that. I wonder if i could get progressives

edit so they dont have to merge my posts lol

I have to remind myself in the future to never let myself run out of lye again. This is killing me, cause i cannot find a place to buy it, other than online.

Two girls at work that i gave bars to decided they wanted to make soap, both of them came to me later to tell me it was too complicated after they looked it up lol. So i guess i will now be their dealer.

Gotta figure out my photography so i don't have any more floating soap in my pics @Dawni

Last edited:
I wonder if you can make squash blossom soup with loofah flowers? When I grew squash I frequently used the flowers in omelets and soup.
The one time I grew acorn squash in a container, Hubby thought he was doing me a favor when he "dead-headed" the blossoms! :rolleyes:

Putting together the Christmas soap box today, hopefully I get done while there's still light n I can take good pics. Nother storm coming our way later.... Sigh.
How's this?
Um, please don't mind me being honest... the pandan box is awesome and the Christmasy soapies are so well done, but I've seen your work when you're at your best. This needs something more "Dawni".:goodbye1:

So I probably shouldn't write this out loud but
@TashaBird's post really set me aback. Whaddaya mean "grew" loofah? I've never thought about the origins of loofahs and I guess I just thought they magically appeared in stores. Now I feel like my 12 year old niece when we gave her corn on the cob for the first time and she didn't know what it was!😬
I posted the same thing in a gardening group on Facebook...only for some reason I thought loofah was a sea creature of some kind. My group definitely educated me in the art of loofah growing! Apparently they are very abundantly and quickly grown! 😳🤪

Um, please don't mind me being honest... the pandan box is awesome and the Christmasy soapies are so well done, but I've seen your work when you're at your best. This needs something more "Dawni".:goodbye1:
Ha! Yeah... Didn't get to do much with that box today. Hopefully tomorrow I can play around with it :)

So many other things needed to get done and in between this stupid typhoon, and one uncle refusing to get tested for covid.. Talking to (some) people is such a waste of time lol no wonder I'm almost a hermit haha

The wind outside literally sounds like a motorcycle revving....

Thank you @linne1gi
My soap turned out kinda meh. My 10x9orange EO really muted my colors more than I’d expected. And my water reflection isn’t shaped the way I’d wanted, my batter needed to actually be thicker. I’ve worked so hard for a slow thin batter, it’s really hard for me to let it thicken. I think I can do better next time. Still, they fun.
Best news is, I’d prepped for a batch of soap to make w my friend and her daughter. She’s said her daughter had been having a hard time and that she was interested in the soap making. We were friends, but not super close. Still I prepped the base ingredients and had a few ideas. I let the girl pick the colors and fragrance. We used up some soap dough that needed using. We made a soap that I think will be gorgeous. It was a special and great experience for all. They’ll come back tomorrow for the cut!!!
I still think it's beautiful.

Today is my birthday so of course I was making soap when my dad called to wish me happy birthday and then stayed on the phone to listen as I mixed up my soap. I did a Bastile no-fragrance oatmeal, milk, and honey soap. I did a 50% water discount and my batter turned really orange as the sugars started to heat up. Tossed it into the fridge and hope it will mellow out. I have plans for it and some little soap bees I've been making. It's normally a pretty rustic bar because of the way I make it but I think the bees are going to take it to a new level. I'm going to call it Bubble Bees!

Today is my birthday so of course I was making soap when my dad called to wish me happy birthday and then stayed on the phone to listen as I mixed up my soap. I did a Bastile no-fragrance oatmeal, milk, and honey soap. I did a 50% water discount and my batter turned really orange as the sugars started to heat up. Tossed it into the fridge and hope it will mellow out. I have plans for it and some little soap bees I've been making. It's normally a pretty rustic bar because of the way I make it but I think the bees are going to take it to a new level. I'm going to call it Bubble Bees!
Happy birthday, @CatahoulaBubble! It's my sister's birthday, too. And it was also my grandmother's birthday.

And we love pictures, don't forget!

Happy birthday, @CatahoulaBubble! It's my sister's birthday, too. And it was also my grandmother's birthday.

And we love pictures, don't forget!
Thanks, another year older. lol
Here's a pic of one of my bubble bees.

Attachments

• bubble bee.jpg
    bubble bee.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 13
Well i made hopefully my only submission for the soap challenge for this month lol. Still waiting for my order of lye, but i had almost exactly enough lye to make a small batch for the string pull. I got all crazy with the design, so i hope its ok lol. I keep having to tell myself to stop playing with it lol.

No soaping for an indefinite time - I ran out of NaOH. Even had to recalculate yesterday's 100 % coconut oil soap to adjust the size of the batch to the amount of NaOH. I'll have to order it online and then w a i t :(

Back