What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut pics! Not as planned 100% but almost there hehe. I'm just glad I'm getting thin swirls in my HP aside from my usual blocky, abstract designs.
View attachment 49307
And a bonus pic lol
View attachment 49306
Pretty! Looks like a ghost swirl. Love the rice facial shot! 😂

Ladies and gentlemen, my pumpkin poops now have a name!

Today I made a multi method soap. HP base, CP piping, and both HP and MP embeds. Had a piping blow out aka the frosting was a tad too loose and it started to run out before I wanted it to, in my haste to catch it I jerk and the frosting ran right down between my skin and the gap of my glove. I had to set the bag down somewhere it wouldnt keep running, rip that glove off and head to the sink.

I suck at taking loaf pics but here it is. anyone know how long a layer of piping needs to dry before I can cut it?

View attachment 49325
The base is Marshmallow fireside fo - dark brown with white jojoba beads stirred in (hoping they melt into a marshmallow swirl) The piping is creamy nutmeg fo, as are the pumpkins. then unscented mp leaves. glitter and a sprinkle of jojoba beads.
So cute! They sound good enough to eat!

The cut. I didn't think about this when I did the leaves but the way they are placed makes them look like pumpkin arms coming out of the marshmallow lol

marshmallow fireside.jpg

I finally made my marble soap!
Annnnnd...friends, I think it was a disaster. 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
I'm not even upset. There were a lot of "firsts" for me with that batch so it's fine. I just think it's funny. Even if it doesn't look great it'll smell good.
Me: spends days and weeks painstakingly getting the right ratio of FO's for a scent blend concept.
Also me: Fails to account for the fact that she's making a larger batch than usual and doesn't have enough of one component, so all that careful testing goes right out the window. 🤷‍♀️ 🤣 I subbed for a scent that was similar so I think it'll be fine.

I just.... I'm ridiculous you guys.
@LilianNoir You are hilarious!!! Are you entering the Sept Contest?

Those look like the perfect shade of red for Valentine’s Day. Kind of dark like the color of roses? Never tried salt in soap but it’s on the list for me.
They were supposed to be for Valentine’s Day. But that’s only 5 1/2 months away, so I guess they won’t be ready in time. Everyone says a minimum 6 month cure. They smell amazing! Geranium, ylang ylang, lavender, and patchouli.

I'm really hoping that the FOs I bought smell DRASTICALLY different from how they smell OOB. One of them smells infuriatingly familiar to me and I can't recall where or what I've used that smells like it.

Did an experiment today with multiplying my basic recipe and it was QUITE the workout! 💪🏼😬💪🏼
16lbs of plain salt soap. %10CO %80 salt PPO. Now to find somewhere to cure them for a 6months-year. Someone here on SMF gave me the inspiration to do plain, but I can’t remember who. I just love the idea of CO, lye, salt. Very curious to see how they feel. Now to try and forget about them!

Attachments

• ADF61812-1EF1-4654-9919-D795503D4A47.jpeg
    ADF61812-1EF1-4654-9919-D795503D4A47.jpeg
    223.7 KB · Views: 21
I'm really hoping that the FOs I bought smell DRASTICALLY different from how they smell OOB. One of them smells infuriatingly familiar to me and I can't recall where or what I've used that smells like it.
I bought a lime cilantro that was supposed to be a margarita soap flavor. It was exactly what i wanted OOB. It smells like Irish Spring in my almost fully cured soap.

I hate Irish Spring soap. But my guy-friend loves it. So i guess its not a total waste lol.

I bought a lime cilantro that was supposed to be a margarita soap flavor. It was exactly what i wanted OOB. It smells like Irish Spring in my almost fully cured soap.

I hate Irish Spring soap. But my guy-friend loves it. So i guess its not a total waste lol.
I miss using that soap, for the smell alone.

Today I unmolded my Marble loaf, tidied up my small batch Adventures in Acceleration soap from yesterday(first pic), and made my Salt Soap trial batches with a different oil base for each color(second pic)

Attachments

• IMG_20200907_002908.jpg
    IMG_20200907_002908.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20200907_002523.jpg
    IMG_20200907_002523.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 16
Cut these this AM. not super happy with the swirl but was surprised it wasn’t worse when I cut them. Batter thickened up really fast after I added the FO which wasn’t supposed to happen. Baby Bath from Aztec and Baby Powder from C&S 50/50 mix. Smells nice and baby clean. I Was plopping the last of the batter in the mold by the end and it was quite thick when I took the hanger to it. I’ve discovered that thicker batter can produce some pretty good swirls. Better than thinner actually.
C827A6BC-5EFA-47EF-9B22-38D3FCC7C341.jpeg

If I knew stamping soap was so much fun I'd have saved up to get some a long time back lol
View attachment 49320
This is what I did at 1am, so technically it's a soapy thing for a new day lol. I need more practice on placement and pressure..

Also, I received some oxides I ordered for the Christmas soaps I'm planning. Need to get those done before this month ends to give em at least 2mos before the people here start their Christmas shopping. I'm gonna go do more research on oxides now...

I love my soap stamp. I place mine where you have the front one. The exception is the tall and skinny soaps which are center in the lower third of the front.

Just bought 16lbs of lye! The most I've ever purchased but EssentialDepot has a good deal on it ($23 w the green club membership which I figured was worth it for at least this month).

Now to wait. I guess I'm making melt and pour for a while. 🤣

Just bought 16lbs of lye! The most I've ever purchased but EssentialDepot has a good deal on it ($23 w the green club membership which I figured was worth it for at least this month).

Now to wait. I guess I'm making melt and pour for a while. 🤣
I wish I lived close enough to pick up. Prices are so much better. I ordered 32 lbs but had to pay $32 for shipping. :confused: Comes out to $2.50 a lb. still better than most other suppliers. I was going to get the 50lb bucket from Duda Diesel which with shipping to me comes out to $2 lb but I’m afraid of moisture getting inside so I ordered the smaller containers. Maybe next time I’ll try Duda. I was saving my old Essential Depot lye containers so I could transfer to them when it first arrived so as to limit the amount of times I would be opening the bucket and letting moisture in but....I don’t know...lol

In the mold resting comfortably. Apple Pumpkin. My first foodish scent. I generally don’t make them. Do people really like to wash with them? It does smell delicious! Can’t really see the colors until the cut but I used Angry Rose (MM), Koi (MM), Lemon Cupcake (MM), and Cocoa Powder with plain batter as the base color. Should be autumnal!

Edited to add the cut...
6EBEE7F8-86D9-43BE-9153-213903CA4855.jpeg

Attachments

• A1739720-09F8-470A-9A36-71B8E9051C63.jpeg
    A1739720-09F8-470A-9A36-71B8E9051C63.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

I used Irish Sprng just once when they sent a sample bar to every mailbox in the country (I think). It turned my skin a bright red color with whitish lumps....sort of like a turkey neck. And itchy! I took another shower post haste and it all went away. I haven't used it since but can still smell the odor. Needless to say, I'll be staying away from lime cilantro too!

I labored in my soap workshop to celebrate Labor Day. I made 2 loaves of an Ione Swirl (that's 'Lone' if you're using the New Zealand alphabet ;) ), scented with rosemary, lemongrass, and basil, colored pink, white, black, and gray similar to my February challenge entry (ahem, third place). Nice to have my soap shop back after our relative stopped quarantining in the basement yesterday.

And on this Labor Day and in this economy I know I am blessed with a job and praying for all my soaping friends that are hit hard.

I didnt like the way my HP pumpkin Poop came out so Im now trying them in CP (y'all are a cp influence) Im going to swirl in black so I can use a pumpkin scent. Lye water is cooling now so wish me luck.

ETA: Well that was close, Fragrance doesnt accelerate my pootootie. My recipe traced quickly, in less than a minute.. added the fragrance to the black and it started moving. Luckily, HP has taught me to hustle.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back