What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut two batches I made yesterday. I hadn’t made soap in 10 days *gasp*. Lol. I agreed to go tent camping last week for my husbands birthday so wasn’t able to do anything soapy. I told my husband if I was going to sleep in a tent for 4 nights, go fishing with him and all the prep that camping entails that we were going to stop at the candle and soap supply store that’s right on our route on our way home. 😆. I got a few new fragrance oils so had to try at least one in a batch right away!
@Jersey Girl you deserved it after that! Oh, and don't forget the worst part - all the work you have to do when you get home - cleaning and putting everything away. And the smell of campfire gets way up in your nose hairs so everything smells like smoke for a few days! I do LOVE to fish though, especially offshore.

OMG, your soaps are beautiful!!!

I made soap!
First time to double batch this one.. 45% butter soap.
View attachment 48945
Not sure what I did differently.. I've been making this soap for more than a year and this batch is the lightest so far.. Let's see inside tomorrow.
So I figured out what I did differently lol. If you're interested, that's here.

Cut soap pics! Of some of them at least..
IMG_20200827_194242.jpg

I really need to get my tops game up but I'm pleased with the inside swirls. I used a makeshift hanger swirl tool that's too flimsy so it moved some parts and not so much the others. First time for me mind you.. My tools of trade are chopsticks, spatulas and spoons lol

@Jersey Girl you deserved it after that! Oh, and don't forget the worst part - all the work you have to do when you get home - cleaning and putting everything away. And the smell of campfire gets way up in your nose hairs so everything smells like smoke for a few days! I do LOVE to fish though, especially offshore.

OMG, your soaps are beautiful!!!
Exactly! It’s a lot of work for sleeping on an air mattress that keeps losing air and tossing and turning all night in pain! And the laundry when we got home! Ugh! Lol. I love being in the mountains of PA but I’m too old for tent camping anymore. 😳

Recently I ran out of the baggies I line my squeeze bottles with for my pull through soap making. I tried some baggies around the house sand which and produce and they worked ok, but not ideal. I ordered some shrink wrap bags on line, 100 for $8, so cheap is good. They would have fit perfectly, BUT they have a small hole in the bottom of each bag. I assume to let the air out when shrink wrapping. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Fortunately the packages came with the AIRplus bags that work so well for me. If those run out again, I’ll probably try dog poop bags. I think they might work best.
In the mean time, does anyone shrink wrap their soaps after curing? Is that an ok thing to do? Now that I have these bags...
Never been so happy to get excess packing material!!

Feeling kind of defeated. Been using %5 EO and only those reported to be lasting. Just checked on some soap a few weeks old and they hardly smell. I’m so bummed.

Attachments

• E5D93C87-B29E-4AF8-815A-FB4378123353.jpeg
    E5D93C87-B29E-4AF8-815A-FB4378123353.jpeg
    244.9 KB · Views: 37
Feeling kind of defeated. Been using %5 EO and only those reported to be lasting. Just checked on some soap a few weeks old and they hardly smell. I’m so bummed.
Does that change if they get wet? I've noticed mine don't smell nearly as strong dry, but the fragrance becomes more noticeable when they're used.

Does that change if they get wet? I've noticed mine don't smell nearly as strong dry, but the fragrance becomes more noticeable when they're used.
These aren’t even two weeks old yet. Not finished curing. I have experienced that before though. Like the EO inside is still present but faded on the surface.

These aren’t even two weeks old yet. Not finished curing. I have experienced that before though. Like the EO inside is still present but faded on the surface.
It’s kind of cold here today. And the garage is extra chilly. Maybe it’s my nose. I’ll try not to make any sweeping judgements about my future as a soap maker. I’ll check back on them later.
making soap has become such a saving therapy during these crazy times!But the smell is real important to me.

I cut two batches I made yesterday. I hadn’t made soap in 10 days *gasp*. Lol. I agreed to go tent camping last week for my husbands birthday so wasn’t able to do anything soapy. I told my husband if I was going to sleep in a tent for 4 nights, go fishing with him and all the prep that camping entails that we were going to stop at the candle and soap supply store that’s right on our route on our way home. 😆. I got a few new fragrance oils so had to try at least one in a batch right away!
The things we do for love....
Your soaps are stunning, thanks for sharing.

I cut this soap this morning. I used five different blues to get this particular blue. It’s definitely on the softer side. Will need to bump the sf% down to 2% from 5% to accommodate for the egg yolks. Swirled some td batter in with the blue, hoping for a marbles look, but it didn’t quite come out how I wanted. Want to make another batch with a few tweaks. Still, I’m digging the color combinations.

Attachments

• 2127B871-EF29-4EE0-8B1D-FBCD637BC407.jpeg
    2127B871-EF29-4EE0-8B1D-FBCD637BC407.jpeg
    91.7 KB · Views: 27
Recently I ran out of the baggies I line my squeeze bottles with for my pull through soap making. I tried some baggies around the house sand which and produce and they worked ok, but not ideal. I ordered some shrink wrap bags on line, 100 for $8, so cheap is good. They would have fit perfectly, BUT they have a small hole in the bottom of each bag. I assume to let the air out when shrink wrapping. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Fortunately the packages came with the AIRplus bags that work so well for me. If those run out again, I’ll probably try dog poop bags. I think they might work best.
In the mean time, does anyone shrink wrap their soaps after curing? Is that an ok thing to do? Now that I have these bags...
Never been so happy to get excess packing material!!
Remember the old Platex nurser bags that were on a roll? A while ago when I was on a search as you are for bags to go into the squeeze bottles I thought of them. They would be perfect for my smaller bottles but they don’t make them anymore. I searched online and nadda. They make some rigid insert now. I wonder if those could be made to work though...hmmmm...I’ve been saving the air pack bags too. I get bummed when my orders don’t have them in it. Lol

I cut this soap this morning. I used five different blues to get this particular blue. It’s definitely on the softer side. Will need to bump the sf% down to 2% from 5% to accommodate for the egg yolks. Swirled some td batter in with the blue, hoping for a marbles look, but it didn’t quite come out how I wanted. Want to make another batch with a few tweaks. Still, I’m digging the color combinations.
very cool looking design!

Remember the old Platex nurser bags that were on a roll? A while ago when I was on a search as you are for bags to go into the squeeze bottles I thought of them. They would be perfect for my smaller bottles but they don’t make them anymore. I searched online and nadda. They make some rigid insert now. I wonder if those could be made to work though...hmmmm...I’ve been saving the air pack bags too. I get bummed when my orders don’t have them in it. Lol
I was more excited about the air bags than the packages contents! 😆
Currently I’ve got a little stash, and I do think dog poo bags would work well.

So I'm just wondering what stages everyone's at. :) I'm a curious little cat, I am.

For myself, I'm waiting for my most recent batch of bar soap to firm up (trying to give it 24 hours before I even touch it, since the soapcalc numbers put it just shy of the 'ideal' hardness range). In addition I fiddled around with the liquid soap I made yesterday (a good chunk of it didn't dissolved, and I was seeing if that was because there wasn't enough water to dilute it all... sure enough that was the problem so it was diluted and added to the bottle holding the rest of it).

And right now I have a tea going that will eventually be strained and frozen, to be used when I make my shampoo bar. Still need to get to my aunt's to pick her citrus trees... But at least I can have the liquid ready to go! I measured out 1/2 oz of dried marshmallow root, 1 1/2 cups water (both weighed to the gram), and then for kicks I tossed in one bag each of Bigelow's Chammomile Lemon and I Love Lemon teas. I'm going to be infusing both chamomile and lemon into the oils, and needed to use the teas anyways (and I don't drink tea). Win-win, right? I might not need all of the tea for the shampoo bar (I'll only be using about 500g oils after all), but at least I'll have it done. :)
I am newbie here.. Researching and going through posts before i give a try on my second soap. God its 5 am here and I am not getting sleep, super excited to make my second batch of soap with beautiful colors and textures..i guess this is what every newbie feels a day before showing off their Soapetivity (soap_creativity).

Exactly! It’s a lot of work for sleeping on an air mattress that keeps losing air and tossing and turning all night in pain! And the laundry when we got home! Ugh! Lol. I love being in the mountains of PA but I’m too old for tent camping anymore. 😳
I think there is a soap shop in Peddlers Village. Was in the area last week but the guy I ride with were not willing to go soap shopping.

I'm intrigued. There's a candle/soap supply store somewhere? How far is it from NYC, if you know.

I just put my soap to bed. Its my first layered soap.

I did a Thin Blue Line with AC on the bottom, Key West Blue in the middle, and AC on top. Kinda proud on how well i split up the batter lol. Im so bad at the measurements. I guess we will know with the cut.

Hope i got the layers straight without pouring into the layers. I really want super straight.

Now i got a mess of dishes i don't feel like dealing with lol.

I think there is a soap shop in Peddlers Village. Was in the area last week but the guy I ride with were not willing to go soap shopping.
Omg I love Peddlers Village. I am originally from Philly and used to go there all the time. Is the Cock and Bull still there? Used to be my go-to restaurant when i was there. Plus i was at a few events there...bridal showers etc.

Sorry to get off topic, you just brought out a flood of memories

Omg I love Peddlers Village. I am originally from Philly and used to go there all the time. Is the Cock and Bull still there? Used to be my go-to restaurant when i was there. Plus i was at a few events there...bridal showers etc.

Sorry to get off topic, you just brought out a flood of memories
Yes it is.

I know Peddler’s Village well! My in-laws lived around the corner in Solebury for many years before their passing and we would be out that way frequently.

Back