What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm planning on trying an 100% water-as-liquid LS without olive oil. I need to use my castor oil up and I need to get some butters as well. I'm also wondering if I should compare instant coffee to brewed in soap.

Today I made some soaps first photo small batch. One of the molds i put in the oven for cpop. To try out for the first time.
second and third photo is the big batch i made. And did put it in the oven too for extra gelling. In both soaps i used chlorella for the green colour. Btw i was on a train with soapmaking i am very exhausted now 🙃

Attachments

• E788F41F-E9F8-4E18-A9DF-21BB6050E977.jpeg
    E788F41F-E9F8-4E18-A9DF-21BB6050E977.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 13
  • 9B276654-AFE1-4A55-A9FC-89E553179413.jpeg
    9B276654-AFE1-4A55-A9FC-89E553179413.jpeg
    136.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 11FAEA8E-3973-470C-8F4C-FB7B5B970E7D.jpeg
    11FAEA8E-3973-470C-8F4C-FB7B5B970E7D.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Made my challenge entry, as well as this batch--BB Blueberry Thyme. The orange is actually yellow that morphed. It's changing back already.

Purty patterns!

I just made a batch of 71% almond oil soap with some red French clay, aloe, and lemon essential oil mix. It's OP right now. I made a similar soap about 5 weeks ago (without the clay, aloe and different EOs) that I tried recently and was impressed with how it turned out, so I'm giving it another go.

Loving my pull through plates! Getting MUCH better at the whole messy complicated process. This time I put the soap in the freezer before unmolding, also smeared Vaseline inside, it slide out with none of the schmearing that I got on yesterdays mold. I did get some TD spots because I scrambled, panicked, and tried to whiten up after using 10x orange EO. Anyway, here they are.

Those are seriously beautiful!! Thank you for sharing!

I used my welded soap (the non-entry in the July challenge), and it has great lather and a silky feel. Amazingly, the washing process completely smoothed out all the ugly seams that never melded together in the oven-welding process. Now the soap looks really nice! Had I known to do this, I would have entered my welded soap for sure.

I also heard from my sister-in-law that she and her husband love my unscented gm-lard-oatmeal soaps. She has tons of chemical sensitivities, so I had gifted her a bar when we were visiting them for my FIL's memorial back in June. They don't have tons of money and were asking my husband how expensive my soaps were. He just laughed and said, "Are you kidding? She has SO.MUCH.SOAP. I'll put some in the mail to you straight away."

I see this as a win-win. They get soap, and I get more room on my curing rack. :rolling:

That is amazing!! I love hearing stories like that!!

So yesterday, I tried a bar from my first batch as a shower bar, and also my newest face soap recipe. I've heard that actual soap doesn't leave you feeling squeaky clean, so I was a little freaked out that mine did. Particularly since if a body wash does that to me, I'll have itchy, dry skin for the next day or more. But my soap didn't do that to me. And my face didn't breakout or turn into an oil slick, so I'm super happy about that.
To be fair, both these soaps are pretty young, so my judging them this early is a little harsh.
That being said, my first soap was formulated as a hand soap, so today I've made a few tweaks for a shower bar recipe. I'm hoping to try it with the monthly challenge, if I get a chance.
Also, after combing through @DKing 's Salt Bar thread, I have borrowed 3 recipes and created another 2 that I want to try, for a total of 5 salt soap batches. I also want to tweak my face soap recipe a smidge and put in only half the Kaolin as last time, and I have also formulated a recipe for the 50%SF Nonsense batch (idea from @SPowers thread).
That brings me to a total of 7 trial size soap batches designed, 1 half batch designed, and then I have an Autumn loaf designed as well.
But I'm still moving and working full time, so planning is all I can do for now. Soon though. Very soon.

Very cool! Thank you for the reminder about the harshness of fresh soap! I’ve been so eager to use mine that I’ve forgotten about that and have been so-so on the results!!

I’m getting pretty stoked on my pull through technique! The prep, pour, clean up, all of it! I’m even happy with the “left over” batter individual molds I e been able to pull off! I’m not wasting any!!

Attachments

• E8F0627D-265E-4501-BD13-DD6B61E1CD88.jpeg
    E8F0627D-265E-4501-BD13-DD6B61E1CD88.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 21F25E9D-84C1-45F1-860D-184844AEA37B.jpeg
    21F25E9D-84C1-45F1-860D-184844AEA37B.jpeg
    123.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 26A4B6C9-141A-4A1C-901C-F84EDAF7E92E.jpeg
    26A4B6C9-141A-4A1C-901C-F84EDAF7E92E.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 23
I made a tiny batch (1 lb) of salt soap today. I used pink kaolin clay to color it - first time ever using clay in soap. I also went through my fragrances today. I blended a few fragrances together to consolidate some near empty bottles and to try to improve some scents that needed some help. I hope to make some more salt bars next weekend and try out some of these "new" scents. :)

I finally bought a new stick blender. I found an Amazon branded one that had a flat top. My previous one was rounded and I could never get the bubble out of there. Just cut the first soap I made with it and it looks SO SMOOTH. I went from bars covered in hundreds of air bubbles to maybe 1 or 2 showing. Very happy with this purchase!

Latest posts

Back