What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could not wait, I had to see how my layers turned out. Better than expected!

Attachments

• IMG_20200420_174649172.jpg
    IMG_20200420_174649172.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20200420_174700448.jpg
    IMG_20200420_174700448.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 24
Not to make you jealous, but look what hubby made me:
View attachment 45234
and here’s a picture of some soap so I don’t break the rules and have @Relle chasing after me. Oh wait....
View attachment 45235
OMG, that cake is amazing! And, matching soap! You two were meant to be :)

Made some stuff. Broke some stuff. Wielded chemistry like A RECKLESS AND FRACTAL GOD AGAINST THE TYRANNY OF ENTROPY. Y’know, Monday night.View attachment 45294View attachment 45295
Pretty colors. I look forward to seeing the cut.

I made a second soap for this month’s challenge and I’m thinking about making a third today to try out one last idea.

with the Almond Oil Soap and the RBO Soap. Just made little batches today.
View attachment 45283
[/QUOTE]
I just bought a couple of molds that look like the ones you are using and one of the reasons I did was so that I wouldn't have to line them with paper any more, like my wood ones. Was I wrong? or does it become necessary after time? I haven't used them yet, do you suggest paper from the first batch? One of the reviews of the mold I bought said that the soap came out with "glassy" sides. The corrosion on your bolts indicates this is not your first batch as does your skill level.

Today I am going to do a 23 oz. batch of my classic formula that I have been using for 20 years and that everyone likes, but will sub tallow for the palm and compare the results. I make this with Rhassoul clay and Pachouli EO and it has a following. I want to establish if anyone will notice a substantial difference, it's kind of the acid test. I meant to do this straight away but have gotten distracted with my 12 other test batches.

My question to you is about how to increase the "conditioning" factor in the formula. mine hovers around 49 in all the tests and didn't increase when I raised the shea butter from 5% to 15%. These soapcalc printouts are great for studying all these factors. I seem to like 7% SF. Conditioning stays the same as I move SF up and down. What do you think?

They are hdpe molds that most do not like because they need to be lined. I do not mind lining my molds and all I use are hdpe.
Soap mold two 2 to 3 Lb No Liner Soap Molds Wooden Lids & Cutters Avail. E
Oh, I replied before I saw this post. Hrmph. Thanks for your reply anyway.

@Chris_S I don't get annoyed easily...... Hahaha

Wow I've missed you guys!
How is everyone?
Thank you for those who have checked in, I appreciate the thought, and I will reply shortly.

No I have not left the forum over anything lol just had a lot else to deal with..... Grandma is getting worse, for those who know the story... my toddler is hellspawn lmao, my teenager is being the usual pain in my butt... Not getting enough sleep at all.. been sick, thought it was covid, struggling with the lock down.. And the clincher...

No soapy thing for the last few months :(

How is everyone?
Thank you for those who have checked in, I appreciate the thought, and I will reply shortly.

No I have not left the forum over anything lol just had a lot else to deal with..... Grandma is getting worse, for those who know the story... my toddler is hellspawn lmao, my teenager is being the usual pain in my butt... Not getting enough sleep at all.. been sick, thought it was covid, struggling with the lock down.. And the clincher...

There she is!! #SoapingTherapy

How is everyone?

Good to see your face again, Dawni, even if it's just long enough to let us know you're still ok. Stay well!

I’ve been using Zoom to meet weekly with any graduate students in our program that want to “drop in” to chat about how things are going for them. They started out sharing their anxiety and worries and talking about missing family in distant states and countries. In recent weeks they’ve been sharing some of the projects and art they’re making to keep occupied. Most of them know that I make soap and asked if I would do a soap making lesson in one of our sessions. I did it today! I made a soy wax-based beer soap and a tallow and lard-based citrus poppy soap. Making two different kinds of soap let me talk about very wide range of soaping topics. And, talk I did! I was on for two hours and had about a dozen students participate total. It was super fun to talk to them about the science behind the soap making. I’m tired, but happy to have had the chance to give them something to think about other than the pandemic.

I’ve been using Zoom to meet weekly with any graduate students in our program that want to “drop in” to chat about how things are going for them. They started out sharing their anxiety and worries and talking about missing family in distant states and countries. In recent weeks they’ve been sharing some of the projects and art they’re making to keep occupied. Most of them know that I make soap and asked if I would do a soap making lesson in one of our sessions. I did it today! I made a soy wax-based beer soap and a tallow and lard-based citrus poppy soap. Making two different kinds of soap let me talk about very wide range of soaping topics. And, talk I did! I was on for two hours and had about a dozen students participate total. It was super fun to talk to them about the science behind the soap making. I’m tired, but happy to have had the chance to give them something to think about other than the pandemic.

Wow that is soo lovely. It's like a cooking class almost and you are a chef! lol

I was just going to make two single oils soap tests but my daughter called and wanted a pumice kitchen soap with BRV. So I made her a small 2 lb batch with Orange EO and BRV with Pumice. Orange cuts oil nicely and that is what she wanted. I also upped the CO to 20% since this is just a hand soap to clean greasy hands. It is happily gelling along with the Almond Oil Soap and the RBO Soap. Just made little batches today.
View attachment 45283
what does BRV stand for?

Grandma is getting worse, for those who know the story... my toddler is hellspawn lmao, my teenager is being the usual pain in my butt... Not getting enough sleep at all.. been sick, thought it was covid, struggling with the lock down.. And the clincher... No soapy thing for the last few months :(
God bless you, darlin'. You're an amazingly strong woman. I hate to hear you're not on top of your game. An aging grandparent, a toddler and a teenager! AI-YAAAAAH! I can't think of ANY combination worse than that. Just be glad you don't also have a boozer for hubby! That would really take the cake! I hope things improve for you soon. 💜💜💜

Just finished my first and only try at this months challenge. Work has been nuts and Ive been sick so time has been short. Not sure yet what the inside holds but some of the lower layers came up the side which i wasnt expecting. fingers cross the patter went through the middle.
I can only imagine... truly.
How about a pic.gif

It was a challenge fail so I can now post it here. All in all, I like the colors and the design itself, just the netting I used wasnt thick enough to pull through. Here it is

View attachment 45423
Yes - still very nice and an interesting design - so challenge fail but not soap fail :)

For the first time in over a year I finally made soap. Made 3 batches that will be for a bridal shower. Felt good to get back to it after so long. Now the wait.
Like riding a bike, it all comes back quickly. Although I can't ride a bike, I end up in the ditch 🤣.

I haven't made soap in a few weeks, so I was happy to get my challenge soap done. I'm starting to get slightly depressed about world events, all of my shows this summer are starting to get cancelled. I'm hoping to get down to the dungeon again today to make a yogurt Honey soap, and I was thinking an OMH soap, but I think I'm out of buttermilk. I have to get groceries anyways today for the week... And bread flour so I can start my sourdough starter. I've wanted to do it forever, and hubby asked me to now that I "have time" (um honey I don't. I really don't, but you're cute and you do laundry so I'll go down this rabbit hole). I also need to MB vegan oils to get those done. I might do one more CM soap... Wait yeah I'm going to do that today instead of the OMH soap. I mean I still need to buy buttermilk and I will, but this takes the urgency out of getting to the store.

Sorry for rambling. I was so happy to have 45 minutes to spend on the forum today.

Back