What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The struggle is real. I only needed one color... ended up ordering five colors and three fragrances...

I did nothing yesterday. Didn't even make my cleanser or mix up my argan oil moisturizer. I helped my hubby make dinner and played minecraft with the daughter until 9, then watched stupid FB videos until bedtime. Sigh. Well, I'll be making up for it today.

Shipping orders today, masterbatching oils, picking up the beer from the brewery - they put in a second order yesterday so I need to get some hustle on, and they arranged a meeting with a brewery in MN to talk about making soap for them too - have to run over to the Spa to restock there, have a meeting with a salon to do consignment with them (she was rather vague about the consignment terms, and I'm picky about what I will do so this might not work out), and then I have an interview with a prospective pastoral candidate at church. Good thing I only have a half day at work today. Although the way the workload has gone this week... I could have taken the whole week off. This weekend will be beer soaping!

Oh, and creepy eyeball soap decided to straighten itself out, so it is now on the cure rack.
Youre coming to Minnesota? What brewery (strictly out of curiosity promise) I live in Wisconsin but I am Minnesota everywhere else. lived there up until june this year. I grew up a block from Hamms brewery in Saint Paul. They used to have a pump outside where you could bring milk jugs and get free spring water. Best of luck with your meeting.

Froze my goat milk I picked up from my sons farm to make goat milk soap tomorrow and read reviews on yet again more fragrance oils I don’t need but want to add to my arsenal.

I don’t mean to be culturally insensitive but Dudu Osun looks a lil like doo-doo left in the sun.
Yes it does!!Dudu Osun is manufactured in factories not made by tribal ladies. The ABS from the tribes varies in color and is quite soft. It is light to dark blotchy brown.

Funny a few african women don't mind teaching how to make it just found a few here in the UK that will teach me. I have tried African black soap called dudu osun it helped me with acne and it helped when I had a bad scalp rash from a 2 in 1 shampoo it helped me. Also want to point out it's not just women that make ABS men do it as well.
I simply prefer to support the Tribal women that work hard making ABS.

Tonight I made a batch that riced up when I added my FO, and I learned I REALLY overestimated the pouring abilities of my left hand HAHAHA

And I started working on making a better vegan recipe, made one batch with it. eh, we’ll see, only time will tell
The mysteries of soaping lol

:thumbs: My darned Mango Papaya decided to rice and accelerate very badly. Note to self, do not use this MP in vegan recipe. :nonono: It worked pretty well last time I used it in my Lard/tallow recipe. Mango Papaya smell amazing but this batch is really ugly. :( Did get a nice vegan DB made tonight. This is for Melibee :hippo:

Yes it does!!Dudu Osun is manufactured in factories not made by tribal ladies. The ABS from the tribes varies in color and is quite soft. It is light to dark blotchy brown.

I simply prefer to support the Tribal women that work hard making ABS.
Actually most of my ABS bars from dudu osun are not really all that hard they do have some give in them. Yes they are made in a factory in Nigeria the employ 250+ people to help make their soap in as traditional way as possible in a factory. that is 250+ jobs for people who most likely really need it in that area. I agree we should support Tribal people male or female I did for a time until my ABS was so different for the last batch I broke out in hives. Again it's not just women that make ABS it's males as well so maybe just calling them Tribal people would be a bit better and more inclusive? Even people who have left Africa still make it and pass it down like some people here in the UK it's not trying to rip off ABS but keeping a part of it alive but that's my take on it as a mix person.

mango papaya soap? bet it smells great!

I do plan on making something like ABS so thats my soapy thing for today finding out what I can burn to make a potash for it as I basically have everything else. Also got my DH making me some big slab molds and trying to source some sort of liner for it so I'm quite happy.

:thumbs: My darned Mango Papaya decided to rice and accelerate very badly. Note to self, do not use this MP in vegan recipe. :nonono: It worked pretty well last time I used it in my Lard/tallow recipe. Mango Papaya smell amazing but this batch is really ugly. :( Did get a nice vegan DB made tonight. This is for Melibee :hippo:
Isn't it funny how some act so funny in different recipes ??

My current curing rack (salt bars behind it you can't see)
20180908_070316[1].jpg

There is actually no way to make traditional ABS in a factory. What Dudu Osun is, is a soap that uses a lot of black oxide and plenty PKO with a touch of camwood and other stuff to make soap. ABS, the true African black soap is a process that takes 3-4weeks to make and it is a process that can’t be hurried.

I have used the Ghanaian ABS, it’s called Alata samina and it is quite different from the one made in Nigeria which is the light brown one, which I much prefer. The light brown ABS is much milder than the black one and there is a reason for that, which I won’t be sharing.

Do you know how long the local ABS is boiled for? A long time, like 2 days straight using firewood, this I am sure will not be cost effective for Dudu Osun. I have the recipe because my grandmother used to make it but I don’t make ABS because there is a way to make it and it is a very tedious process so whatever anybody is making at home or in a factory isn’t ABS, it’s not even a knock off of it, it’s just a soap that wished it could be ABS.

There is actually no way to make traditional ABS in a factory. What Dudu Osun is, is a soap that uses a lot of black oxide and plenty PKO with a touch of camwood and other stuff to make soap. ABS, the true African black soap is a process that takes 3-4weeks to make and it is a process that can’t be hurried.

I have used the Ghanaian ABS, it’s called Alata samina and it is quite different from the one made in Nigeria which is the light brown one, which I much prefer. The light brown ABS is much milder than the black one and there is a reason for that, which I won’t be sharing.

Do you know how long the local ABS is boiled for? A long time, like 2 days straight using firewood, this I am sure will not be cost effective for Dudu Osun. I have the recipe because my grandmother used to make it but I don’t make ABS because there is a way to make it and it is a very tedious process so whatever anybody is making at home or in a factory isn’t ABS, it’s not even a knock off of it, it’s just a soap that wished it could be ABS.
Thanks for letting me know another name for a ABS I think I'll look into it. would thay not have to disclose they your black oxide? PKO (palm kernel oil?).

Also want to say the last bit is a bit harsh there are some who make ABS at home in a slow cooker because they can not do a fire it does not make it any less of a ABS specially if it's made by someone who's from Africa thats my view. But thanks for letting me know a bit more about the process.

Will be looking more into it. So that is another soapy thing for me to do today :)

@ msunnerstood, I love how your green swirl looks like a leaf. Perfect for a vineyard soap!
My soaps plans for this weekend are returning a handheld bag sealer to Amazon and organizing my little soaping corner. I've run out of room to put anything. I started with my small cabinet and found out why I have no room! I had 4 partially used bottles of palm oil, 2 partially used containers of lard, 2 partially used bottles of apricot oil, etc. So I've been combining bottles. I still have to tackle my utensils drawer, soaping station and curing/storage rack!
Hey, does anyone know where I can find a bath bomb recipe that uses SLSa? I found some while cleaning out my cabinet. If it's still good, it's 1 less thing to buy for a request for some BBs. I found a few simple recipes on Google that I'd like to try but they don't use SLSa and I don't remember how much to use.

Last edited:
:lol: Go figure, my Mango Papaya turned out exactly like I wanted inside, only the top is ugly like rebatched soap. Even with the ricing after a good gel it smoothed out. DB did not go exactly as I wanted but does look nice. My Vegan recipe is such a fast mover, I may have to change it.

Shows how different we all are and why choices are nice. I prefer the darker brown. Saponificarian it is great that your grammy handed down the recipe to you! I am all for duplication but not when it comes to ABS.

I worked on my recipe for the base for my challenge soap. I was going to make the base yesterday after returning from my audiology appointment, but got sidetracked and never started. So the plan last night was that I'd start early today. The plan was messed up by the fact that I couldn't fall asleep until after 5 am, so early morning soaping was not in the picture. Besides this is the day of the week that Hubby goes into work later, so it wouldn't have worked out anyway. After gathering supplies to get started, I realized too many trips to the bathroom (a side effect of the medications that are curing my mouth sores) are an indication that today no soap will be made. So I will just read the forum and put the soaping supplies away most likely.

ETA: Not long after posting this, I had a brief encounter with an energy spurt, so I went ahead and started measuring my oils for this batch. I won't make it today, but I'll have a head start upon my return from Tennessee. We leave early tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
Cut my 3rd batch used a different recipe for this one and managed to get it to thin trace and somewhat successfully add and mix in patterns with the colours. I chose my 3 favorates to take a photo of not bad for my first attempt to make a few patterns :)

Attachments

• 20180908_225500.jpg
    20180908_225500.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20180908_225431.jpg
    20180908_225431.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20180908_225353.jpg
    20180908_225353.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 16
I got FO's in the mail today I hope that counts. Everything is all set and measured for 2 batches (all I had before I ran out of 1 oil). But I will do it tomorrow instead

Busy day today: Did stock inventory, packaged 36 bars of soap, photographed soaps and edited photos, listed a new soap in the store, met with the brewery and got their wholesale order (wahoo!), made the first of the three leg lamp soaps, made some eyeball embeds for my October soap of the month... Still too much left to do today and I have to work at my second job yet.

Attached picture of the leg lamp soap. Used CC Apple Honey Champagne FO. The customer only wants 12 of this soap, so I get to keep the extra 6 for my own stock (those are the bars without the leg lamps).

That’s amazing! Wow how long is your mold? It looks REALLY LOOOONG [emoji2]

Yesterday: picked up golden sandalwood power from post office
Today: me a soap with benzoin and sandalwood!!

Y’all. I’m playing with a MP shampoo bar base lol
Working on a pretty ombré
I can’t bring myself to make a syndet bar from scratch at this point in my life *sigh*
Anyways, having fun cuz I get to use a blue that is so pretty but morphs terribly in cp
Had some friends over to dinner, the wife is a massage therapist. my dominant hand, has been giving me awful problems lately, I’ve lost a lot of range of motion and strength in my hand. She used some lotion I made and gave my arm a therapeutic massage, it hurt so bad! But it’s much better right now and I am so grateful.

Latest posts

Back