What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4 batches done and waiting to be cut (maybe tonight).
4 more batches all set to go but will probalby have to wait till tomorrow morning.
Ordered more Lye, Molds and oils... although the one I want is not in the 44#box but a 30# pail for $10 more :( and won't be in till Oct. I think I have enough till then.

Oh and ordered more FO's that will be here Friday :)
Ordered Lye tonight but it wont be here till Wednesday??? So much for Prime 2 day shipping. I dont have enough to make it till then and finding it way out here will be challenging.

Hopefully I'll be able to do another HP soap today (if my DD decided's to take a nap) was also informed by the DH that work is sending him on a night out for his work this monday. love the short notice they give *sarcastic*. also been thinking of making African black soap but have no clue how to do it or what to use in it. I defo know lye is not used in it but potash is but then it boils down to how do you figure out the amount needed for everything. As I'm more then sure you just can't eye ball it and knock on wood etc as potash can water make a lye type mixture correct? but I so want to make this soap!.

oh well I guess I'll do a "knock" off one with lye and do a higher superfat? but what is/would be a good superfat level on soap that is 34% palm oil 34% shea butter, 12% sweet almond oil, 8% castor oil, 6% hemp oil and 6% coconut oil? was thinking round 5-10% superfat? someone on another craft form said 20-30% superfat even tho is has only a small amount of coconut oil.

Also I can't stop looking at the soap supply site I like just looking at how much the stuff I would like to get would cost and apparently I would be spending over £1,000+ need to stop looking at the site lol.

Have to reheat my oils from last night so I can soap today. I can't soap cool or RT as my recipe gives me a thick trace if I do.
So 4 more batches so I can refill what sold out

Also I can't stop looking at the soap supply site I like just looking at how much the stuff I would like to get would cost and apparently I would be spending over £1,000+ need to stop looking at the site lol.

I know that feeling I need to stop buying stuff. got some more molds arriving soon so I can make bigger batches or don't have to wait for one batch to be ready before I make my next one. I get bored easily and it easily kills an hour and often motivates me to do other jobs or other crafty things once the cleanings been done

Have to reheat my oils from last night so I can soap today. I can't soap cool or RT as my recipe gives me a thick trace if I do.
So 4 more batches so I can refill what sold out

Clearly you sell them so your way way way ahead of where I'm at only just cut my second batch but I have just melted the oils and butters at the same time as sorting the lye water mixture out so they cool at a relatively simular rate. can you melt oils and butters together prior store then just reheat surely the butters would resolidify? am I doing it wrong? or just misunderstanding your explained method?
Another question I'm not bad at maths but I'll be honest getting my head round this is really frustrating the recipe i have been using is in oz in england we use grams and ml which is fine because i can convert stuff easily enough whats really annoying me is that the recipe makes 1345g and can't get my head round is how to figure out how to reduce it to mean it fits in my mold which holds 1.2 liters. if anyone could help I'd really appriciate it.

someone asked what fo and where I bought it after I said I think it accelerated trace one the oils I got from candle supplies website and one lot I got from livemoor website both British companies and neither of which I bought with the intention of using in soap they say they are suitable but my reason for buying was to use in candles so I didn't do any research on whether they speed up trace but having looked at reviews and the site description I can't find any specific soap related advice but I'm still pretty sure that's what caused the problems I had

iv just realised lindakchickens you are in england too. what site have you been getting fo and other supplies from? iv been getting most my stuff from a place called livemoor they often have offers and discounts and if you leave a review they send a 15% off code and free delivery and some my fragrance oils I got from candle supplies. one thing I noticed dispite it being the same company there's a site called soap supplies or something along those lines the fragrance oils are being sold for not far off double what they are from their other website for presumably the exact same oils and then they have the cheek to charge 6 pounds for delivery even if you are only buying one small item pitty their Bakewell tart fo is just amazing otherwise I'd avoid them completely think I will until I run out of that

Last edited by a moderator:
iv just realised lindakchickens you are in england too. what site have you been getting fo and other supplies from? iv been getting most my stuff from a place called livemoor they often have offers and discounts and if you leave a review they send a 15% off code and free delivery and some my fragrance oils I got from candle supplies. one thing I noticed dispite it being the same company there's a site called soap supplies or something along those lines the fragrance oils are being sold for not far off double what they are from their other website for presumably the exact same oils and then they have the cheek to charge 6 pounds for delivery even if you are only buying one small item pitty their Bakewell tart fo is just amazing otherwise I'd avoid them completely think I will until I run out of that
I buy a from a few places I bought my big 5kg block of Shea Butter from livemoor on ebay I know they have a site but it was easier at the time to buy via their ebay account I did by 1kg of their aloe vera gel someone messed up and sent only a 500g tub once told tho they sorted it out quick so I do recommend them the aloe is nice to! I have not tried their FO's or EO's but it's on my list to do once I get my overspending under control.
I have bought castor oil,sweet almond oil, cocoa butter and apricot kernel oil from a placed called the soapery and it's decent stuff and they shipped it out quickly so I have no issues with them plus they were the cheapest at the time I bought from them so that's ok to. I have bought a large portion of my EO's & Fo's from a place on ebay call Pure-life-retail their EO's and FO's do smell really nice. Their dragons blood FO made my herbal soap smell like brownies my husband almost ate it.. guess it did not help it was a brown/black colour either lol, But their stuff smells good. I also buy from The Soap Kitchen I have bought a few fragrances from them they all smell nice their Hawaii fragrance smells like Irish spring soap from the USA (my fav) also bought a large round block of coconut oil and palm oil from their they worked out as the cheapest at that time they offer a 5% discount on every order to people with a account there so it's not to bad I normally pay for next day shipping as I'm impatient and it's normally sent the day I order it if before like 1 or 2 pm

I buy a from a few places I bought my big 5kg block of Shea Butter from livemoor on ebay I know they have a site but it was easier at the time to buy via their ebay account I did by 1kg of their aloe vera gel someone messed up and sent only a 500g tub once told tho they sorted it out quick so I do recommend them the aloe is nice to! I have not tried their FO's or EO's but it's on my list to do once I get my overspending under control.
I have bought castor oil,sweet almond oil, cocoa butter and apricot kernel oil from a placed called the soapery and it's decent stuff and they shipped it out quickly so I have no issues with them plus they were the cheapest at the time I bought from them so that's ok to. I have bought a large portion of my EO's & Fo's from a place on ebay call Pure-life-retail their EO's and FO's do smell really nice. Their dragons blood FO made my herbal soap smell like brownies my husband almost ate it.. guess it did not help it was a brown/black colour either lol, But their stuff smells good. I also buy from The Soap Kitchen I have bought a few fragrances from them they all smell nice their Hawaii fragrance smells like Irish spring soap from the USA (my fav) also bought a large round block of coconut oil and palm oil from their they worked out as the cheapest at that time they offer a 5% discount on every order to people with a account there so it's not to bad I normally pay for next day shipping as I'm impatient and it's normally sent the day I order it if before like 1 or 2 pm

yeah Iv bought all my oils from the soapery. as i said in another post i bought these fragrance oils for the intention of making candles and wax melts not soaps and the strawberry and cream scent from livemoor I'm almost certain sped up trace big time last batch I made but it turned out alright and smells amazing I got a rhubarb and custard one from livemoor and it smelt amazing from the bottle but put into wax melts you couldn't really smell it once melted which was disappointing but not sure I got the ratio right so might of been my fault. ill have to have a look at the site you mentioned not seen that one yet. Im also making lots of candles and wax melts for little presents and for giving people to test I'd love to start selling them but the laws here are pretty strict and more so very expensive to pay for a safety test I'm off sick from work and considering going for constructive dismissal so starting my own business might actually be possible if I win some money from that. Do you sell any of your stuff you make?
I also started beekeeping recently and that's why I started getting interested in crafty stuff because I wanted to know I would enjoy stuff I can make with beeswax before I started the beekeeping itself but they are so fascinating and such gentle creaturesI'm not sure I can justify using their wax. That's a proper expensive hobby but worth every penny lets me just zone out and forget my problems

yeah Iv bought all my oils from the soapery. as i said in another post i bought these fragrance oils for the intention of making candles and wax melts not soaps and the strawberry and cream scent from livemoor I'm almost certain sped up trace big time last batch I made but it turned out alright and smells amazing I got a rhubarb and custard one from livemoor and it smelt amazing from the bottle but put into wax melts you couldn't really smell it once melted which was disappointing but not sure I got the ratio right so might of been my fault. ill have to have a look at the site you mentioned not seen that one yet. Im also making lots of candles and wax melts for little presents and for giving people to test I'd love to start selling them but the laws here are pretty strict and more so very expensive to pay for a safety test I'm off sick from work and considering going for constructive dismissal so starting my own business might actually be possible if I win some money from that. Do you sell any of your stuff you make?
I also started beekeeping recently and that's why I started getting interested in crafty stuff because I wanted to know I would enjoy stuff I can make with beeswax before I started the beekeeping itself but they are so fascinating and such gentle creatures I'm not sure I can justify using their wax. That's a proper expensive hobby but worth every penny lets me just zone out and forget my problems

I agree it cost a arm and a leg to get the stuff tested right now I'm just making soap and giving it to friends and family to try out. so far most everyone likes my chang bladderwreck soap and my rose soap made with rose petal powder. I have a extra strength coconut oil soap that I made for my DH and FIL (father in law) they both end with dirty hands one in oil the other paint and silicon junk takes it all off and they say it's not drying just need bigger bars for them. Need more EO's tho as I have used most of mine up lol.

I started chicken keeping last year (which caused me to get into soap making and sewing) fell in love with them and dropped £400+ on a German incubator and have bred my chickens this year and sold a large portion of the chicks from this years breeding season. Sadly tho a neighbor does not like my chickens and has made false claims against me also does not like me because I'm American and I refused to talk trash about Trump ( I would not trash talk Hilary either as it's childish and low) and that's when the issues started along with her verbal abuse of me. just wish the weather would get nice again as I have the council coming to see my chickens this coming monday and a few of the buggers have all gone into molt at once *screams*

You guys are getting off topic here. i will start a new thread for you and answer your questions.

Did my 4 batches. Darn Dragon Blood accelerated on me a bit.... course I was dragging my feet a bit on what I was planning.

Now just watching Gel so I can unwrap and cool

You guys are getting off topic here. i will start a new thread for you and answer your questions.

Did my 4 batches. Darn Dragon Blood accelerated on me a bit.... course I was dragging my feet a bit on what I was planning.

Now just watching Gel so I can unwrap and cool

sorry for going off topic and thank you lino_O:thumbs:

Hopefully I'll be able to do another HP soap today (if my DD decided's to take a nap) was also informed by the DH that work is sending him on a night out for his work this monday. love the short notice they give *sarcastic*. also been thinking of making African black soap but have no clue how to do it or what to use in it. I defo know lye is not used in it but potash is but then it boils down to how do you figure out the amount needed for everything. As I'm more then sure you just can't eye ball it and knock on wood etc as potash can water make a lye type mixture correct? but I so want to make this soap!.

oh well I guess I'll do a "knock" off one with lye and do a higher superfat? but what is/would be a good superfat level on soap that is 34% palm oil 34% shea butter, 12% sweet almond oil, 8% castor oil, 6% hemp oil and 6% coconut oil? was thinking round 5-10% superfat? someone on another craft form said 20-30% superfat even tho is has only a small amount of coconut oil.

You cannot make true ABS it is made in the tribes in Africa, and sorry, I feel it should be left for them since it is their soap. I know many will disagree and if you do make it make call it something different. I do sell ABS soap, but purchase from an Importer which imports it in from Ghana. There is no way of knowing what the true ingredients are and what the percentages are since many of the ABS does not have actual labeling. Some that do come with labeling are High is Shea, Some high in PKO (no coconut) and most have high CO. I actually do not care for the soap, but have several customers that love it. Have you used ABS? If not how do you know you are duplicating it if you have not tried it. I understand you are in the UK but it can even be purchased on Amazon. Keep in mind there is no set recipe for ABS even in Ghana, they use passed done recipes and each tribe has their own recipes. There are many versions of it but I find the darker brown mottled to be better than the light brown version

I am not trying to make you mad it is just that I do not feel we should try to duplicate the Tribal Ladies soap. They work over hot pots for many hours making it and I am sure even with exporting it, by the time they get paid it is not much money to them. JMP..;)

I ordered more mica (ran out of 2 colors, ordered 11, you know how it goes)
The struggle is real. I only needed one color... ended up ordering five colors and three fragrances...

I did nothing yesterday. Didn't even make my cleanser or mix up my argan oil moisturizer. I helped my hubby make dinner and played minecraft with the daughter until 9, then watched stupid FB videos until bedtime. Sigh. Well, I'll be making up for it today.

Shipping orders today, masterbatching oils, picking up the beer from the brewery - they put in a second order yesterday so I need to get some hustle on, and they arranged a meeting with a brewery in MN to talk about making soap for them too - have to run over to the Spa to restock there, have a meeting with a salon to do consignment with them (she was rather vague about the consignment terms, and I'm picky about what I will do so this might not work out), and then I have an interview with a prospective pastoral candidate at church. Good thing I only have a half day at work today. Although the way the workload has gone this week... I could have taken the whole week off. This weekend will be beer soaping!

Oh, and creepy eyeball soap decided to straighten itself out, so it is now on the cure rack.

You cannot make true ABS it is made in the tribes in Africa, and sorry, I feel it should be left for them since it is their soap. I know many will disagree and if you do make it make call it something different. I do sell ABS soap, but purchase from an Importer which imports it in from Ghana. There is no way of knowing what the true ingredients are and what the percentages are since many of the ABS does not have actual labeling. Some that do come with labeling are High is Shea, Some high in PKO (no coconut) and most have high CO. I actually do not care for the soap, but have several customers that love it. Have you used ABS? If not how do you know you are duplicating it if you have not tried it. I understand you are in the UK but it can even be purchased on Amazon. Keep in mind there is no set recipe for ABS even in Ghana, they use passed done recipes and each tribe has their own recipes. There are many versions of it but I find the darker brown mottled to be better than the light brown version

I am not trying to make you mad it is just that I do not feel we should try to duplicate the Tribal Ladies soap. They work over hot pots for many hours making it and I am sure even with exporting it, by the time they get paid it is not much money to them. JMP..;)
Funny a few african women don't mind teaching how to make it just found a few here in the UK that will teach me. I have tried African black soap called dudu osun it helped me with acne and it helped when I had a bad scalp rash from a 2 in 1 shampoo it helped me. Also want to point out it's not just women that make ABS men do it as well.

Just made my 3rd batch feels like im starting to get the hang of the basics now and got it to thin trace so I could add mica and have a go at making swirls think it went well. Also decided to look for a new lye calculator because the one i had been using was kinda vague about lye and water quantities so used the brambleberry one this time and felt much happier using that one. Decided to try a different recipe this time too.
@earlene I tried adding the fo before adding the lye water and although it was a different oil I used this time it made it that bit easier to do without having to add and then combine. thanks for the tip :thumbs:

Last edited:
Funny a few african women don't mind teaching how to make it just found a few here in the UK that will teach me. I have tried African black soap called dudu osun it helped me with acne and it helped when I had a bad scalp rash from a 2 in 1 shampoo it helped me. Also want to point out it's not just women that make ABS men do it as well.

I don’t mean to be culturally insensitive but Dudu Osun looks a lil like doo-doo dried in the sun.

Last edited:
Back