What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't been on here in a couple years. Had a lot of rethinking and remaking my goals. I'm just gearing up for Fall and Winter season. Just got my sellers permit and next is the insurance! I'm now with a non-profit that helps victims of domestic violence get their business going. It is really scary and exciting at the same time. Right now I am getting ready to make a Oktoberfest theme soap and a pumpkin soap. I love being back here on the forum. So many amazing and talented people here <3
Welcome back and Kudos on your volunteer work.

Last evening, I took my Utah Salt Flats soap out of paper bag (from travel) and onto a tray for curing. Also put away some soaping stuff while looking for a lost item (didn't find it yet.)

Today I am watching Intaglio videos. Hoping to do a bit more soap related in between other projects.

Bath of bath bombs scented with Citrus mist. 9 jelly soaps , set of three with Cotton candy; red, Orchid water; green, Sweet pea; blue Adviced CNF to Health Canada, I think it is enough for today, later I will label and pack the jelly soaps

Not actually today that I made it but yesterday I made my first ever batch of cp soap and think it went pretty well considering. The colour didn't take as well as I hoped but it's got a nice soft purple colour to it. Scented it with summer fruits FO but it's a pretty discrete scent anyways so not sure it was ever going to strong in a soap. Going to try it in candles and wax melts once I get my purple candle dye delivered. Got the soap curing now and the one in the loaf mould came out lovely but the smaller ones have an odd and dodgy looking colour and like a brown tinge to them anyone know what this could be can post a picture up if anyone's able to help?
received_1069508879891059.jpeg
IMG-20180903-WA0000.jpeg

Not actually today that I made it but yesterday I made my first ever batch of cp soap and think it went pretty well considering. The colour didn't take as well as I hoped but it's got a nice soft purple colour to it. Scented it with summer fruits FO but it's a pretty discrete scent anyways so not sure it was ever going to strong in a soap. Going to try it in candles and wax melts once I get my purple candle dye delivered. Got the soap curing now and the one in the loaf mould came out lovely but the smaller ones have an odd and dodgy looking colour and like a brown tinge to them anyone know what this could be can post a picture up if anyone's able to help?View attachment 31850 View attachment 31851
Nice job. You might want paper down under them instead of plastic. so they get air. Make sure the paper covers up the metal racks.

actually i have paper towels down now over the plastic i did that after the photo was taken because i realised plastic wpuldnt absorb any water while it was being cured. should i just take the plastic out completely and just have paper over the bars?

Air would probably move better without it
I was kinda bothered that the soap resting on the bare metal might make marks on the soap with it still being relatively soft. But this is all new to me so I'm mostly guessing really or did you mean to remove the plastic and just have paper? ignore that just reread it all and i understand now apparently im more tired than i realised. Any idea why the stuff in the smaller moulds might of come out a different colour and has Browny patches on it? it was all made in the same bowl at the same time

I cut my beer soap this morning and made a batch of Java Jumpstart Soap. It's the first time in a long time that I've had a back of soap crack. I'm not overly concerned about it but I did find it interesting. I also made a couple of batches of bath bomb embeds, a batch of bath bombs and a batch of Lemon Lime & Rosemary Bubble Scoops. I also cleaned up a bath bomb that shattered all over my counter and kitchen floor.

I think I can make one more batch of soap (not today) and then I'm out of lye. I did make a trip to Home Hardware to see if they had any in stock but they're out so I won't be able to make more soap until they restock.

20180903_074021_HDR.jpg

20180903_144840_HDR.jpg

I tried high temp countertop hot process when the kids went down for a nap
I used Pacifico beer and WSP’s oatmeal stout fragrance. Smells more like oatmeal cookies than beer but we’ll see how it all shakes down

I also cleaned ash off 4 batches of soap, I’m having lots of issues with ash lately! Bah!

"What soapy thing have you done toay?" I tried to infuse madder root powder with a cup of olive oil. while I was letting it warm for an hour on the stove I was trying to find any tips to see if I could speed up the process when I found a link on another group saying how it is a waste of time to infuse this powder in oil.....great... needless to say I finished and strained it all and now my oil has a burnt nutty smell don't know if this will work in soap now unless I use a whole lot of fragrance. Anyone else have this problem?
But I did boil water and use the powder, strained it and the water is dyed a very crimson red now, so guess I will have to add it to my lye water instead.[emoji106]

Last edited:
I rendered pig fat into lard today and it is in the fridge setting. One silly thing though, I put salt in the water and now my lard is salty. I am not sure how this will affect any soap I use the lard for; I am sure the dog will not complain though (he has acidosis so gets a table spoon of lard with his dinner each night to help prevent attacks). I was wondering if I boil it a few more times in fresh water if the salt will lessen in the lard.

Three Day Weekend Done List:
18 bars Apple Honey Champagne (12 with leg lamp embeds)
9 bars Lavender Woods & Honey (6 with leg lamp embeds)
9 bars Frosted Blue Balls (6 with leg lamp embeds)
18 creepy eyeball embeds
9 bars of creepy eyeball soap (scented with BCN's All Hallow's Eve and CC's Pumpkin Crunch II)
Wrote the soap of the month letter and leftover soap of the month stock sale.
Put together email newsletter, need one picture before I can send it out.
Cleared my whiteboard and filled it up with September goals
Printed out all the recipes for soaps and lip balms that I want to make for September. Still need to figure out what bubble scoops I want to make.
Confirmed my spot in the October show.
Contacted organizer about November show.
Did more cleaning in the soap lab.
Avoided bookwork and cleaning the office.
Need a 3-day weekend to recover from my 3-day weekend.
(My apologies for blurry pictures. I shake alot, it takes a lot of work for me to get a decent picture.)
20180902_165300.jpg 20180902_165317.jpg 20180902_165349.jpg 20180903_170348.jpg 20180903_170357.jpg

LOL @earlene I put my husband on kid and meal duty for the weekend, although I came out of hibernation last night because everyone wanted fajitas for dinner. The 10 year old came and helped me with the m&p for the eyeball pupils and iris. She chose green (she has my green eyes) so she was in charge of mixing the color to get the right shade of green. I bet if someone had peeked into our soap lab they would have had a good laugh at us - eyes wide open, staring at each others eyes and then trying to compare it to the green color. We had fun playing with it. The red and white is cold process though, I might have been a bit heavy handed with the red. The only thing that would make those eyeballs cooler is if they jiggled... I should be able to cut it when I go home for lunch in a few minutes. The BCN fragrance was a PITA to work with - deccelerated and riced. What the heck? I have never experienced that before. I unmolded before I left for work this morning and the two layers with that fragrance look fine, but I couldn't really smell anything but the pumpkin FO in the middle layer. That would really suck if after the struggle to get the batter to behave, the fragrance didn't stick. Maybe my nose wasn't quite awake yet. I love pumpkin so my nose might have just picked that up first.

Back