What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
0B767D54-7B91-4EE8-B8EE-AC26ECBF0453.jpeg 8149F01A-110E-4626-8A0F-4EC098917406.jpeg Made new Blueberry Muffin scented Michigan shaped Cold Process Soaps.

I made sodium citrate from citric acid and baking soda, and stirred it in my liquid soap paste. Just a very small amount, 41-42 grams. And that was easy! I did not make a dry powder, but a solution.

I just measured out citric acid and baking soda in a pitcher, and then added boiling water to it. I should have added just a little over 40 grams of water to make sure it dissolved, but I added a bit more for evaporation and good measurement, and since that amount seemed like nothing. It didn't fizz very long, so it was quick and easy. I measured the PH, and it was 7-ish. I have to buy some better ph strips.

To measure out how much citric acid you need, you first have to find out the weight of your solid soap batter or liquid soap paste (I just looked at my recipe and subtracted some for evaporation during the process, and rounded off for easy calculations. I had then 1000 grams. Then you must find out how much citric acid you want. I read on this forum that someone used 4%, so I used the same. I calculated 4% of 1000 grams, and that gave me 40 grams of citric acid needed.

I did knew how to do calculations that would let me find out how much of it that had to be citric acid and how much that had to be baking soda. But I have forgot. I tried some varieties, but I have forgot my math skills. So I have to refresh them. Anyway it has to be done by using X in one way or another.

So I had to do the trial and error method to find something that would give me around 40 grams.

This is the calculation I did: 18 + (18 x 1,3124) = 41,62

You can just change the number 18 to something that will give you the amount you need. If you need 70 grams, experiment with numbers higher than 18 until you get = 60.

I found the number 1,3124 on this forum. 1 gram of citric acid will be neutralized by 1,3124 grams of baking soda.

Google is a great calculator, so just write 18 + (18 x 1,3124) and press enter, it will calculate it for you.

Based on the trial and error calculation method, I needed:

Citric acid: 18 grams
Baking soda: (18 x 1,3124) = 23,62 grams

My scale does only round off to the nearest gram. So i couldn't measure it out precisely. But that doesn't really matter too much.

Some dissolve the citric acid in the water first, and then add baking soda, little by little. I just dumped both in the pitcher and added boiling water to it, to make it easy. That worked great for a small amount in a high pitcher. It can't possibly fizz over.

Found my sheet of labels... on the back seat of the Jeep! My Lemon Poppyseed soap with Yuzu is now labelled. On the schedule for today... Double Chocolate soap, make with cocoa powder and semi sweet chocolate.
I am so glad you found it, Misschief! I was envisioning the police showing up at your door to arrest you for littering, ala Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant because you might have your business address on the labels. :D

I am so glad you found it, Misschief! I was envisioning the police showing up at your door to arrest you for littering, ala Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant because you might have your business address on the labels. :D

LOL That would have been funny, really. Had it not been there, it would have been in the parking lot at work; it was a rainy, windy, and hot day yesterday. Today, we're back to hot and sunny.

Latest posts

Back