What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I unmolded my lavender charcoal loaf this morning. I was supposed to cut it on the diagonal and make two slanted layer molds out of it. It was such a pretty black color, that I decided to not mess with it and just slice it up LOL

Since I already alotted this time in the morning before work, I decided that i should make something else, since my two loaf molds were now freed up. Made a beachy type loaf. The FO accelerated the batter and it riced (Beach from CC). I worked quickly and didn't get the design that I was going for, but hopefully I salvaged it. Not too sure, but its cpop now. I can prob cut it when I get home from work tonight.

I had several soapy things tonight.

I got a Hardwood Charcoal from MM. I honestly didn't know there was a different one LOL. But according to their description and reviews, it should be more black. So in giving it a try...I bought an enormous container lol. Well enormous for me anyway.

Couple of new FOs to try. So here starts the matching smell to color dilemma that I go through everytime I make soap lol. It's late, and I am tired yet determined to make soap tonight cause I am running out of ready soaps, so need to up production lol.

I will probably have more time tomorrow to do something more cool, so I went absolutely basic and did a AC loaf with lavender 40/4f2

But the fun doesn't stop there. I will cut the loaf in a diagonal so I can make two loaves and do a swirl on the second half...tomorrow.

Its going to be half on the diagonal all black, I want to do a swirl on the other half. Scent is lavender. Do I do the other half black and white, or black and lavender color? I plan on an itp swirl. Hoping everybody is seeing what I am.

Hang on, that was soapy thing #1 ...................

#2 is that I used @linne1gi method of adding powdered sugar instead of granulated. I am a little nervous because with the regular sugar I have to add the lye in parts to make a "clear" solution, and I was able to add the lye all at once because it is an all black soap and doesn't matter much if the sugar changes the color of the solution. Anyway, long story short, I am afraid of the cornstarch in the powdered sugar.

#3....Since I bought a tub of lard instead of my usual blocks, I misjudged how much lard I had on hand. So I added and subtracted a few things and ran it through soap calc. Who knows, maybe I will like this recipe better than my first LOL

Nothing more satisfying than a all black wet soap...
You have to let me know how you like the powdered sugar. Did you notice any more working time with your soap batter? That's the reason I started using it. (Back in 2018 when I started following Teri of TreeMarie Soapworks, she uses powdered sugar). Also, yes there are 2 kinds of activated charcoal, Coconut and Hardwood. I always find I like to Coconut Charcoal better - it gives me a darker black. Although I usually mix the Coconut Charcoal with some black mica for a really black black.

Im giggling because im making a batch of soap thats a lush dupe fo. I cant use their name so I came up with something funny to call it instead "No Fox to Give" :goodbye1:

yep, easily amused..
I make a lush dupe and call it Karma Chameleon. They call it Karma.
I know y'all are from a sueing culture over there, but some names are not 'owned' by Lush. if it's just a word or phrase that is in common use, and there is no 'registered trademark' symbol, then it's open for the taking. So you don't have to give a fox.

I make a lush dupe and call it Karma Chameleon. They call it Karma.
I know y'all are from a sueing culture over there, but some names are not 'owned' by Lush. if it's just a word or phrase that is in common use, and there is no 'registered trademark' symbol, then it's open for the taking. So you don't have to give a fox.
I like my name better 😂

Here it is, "No Fox to Give"
fox1.jpg

I just cut it so this is not beveled or anything.

The best thing about having a complicated soap in the works is it’s given me something besides the worlds craziness to think about.
This soap is a real labor of love! Otherwise I’d have to charge $100 per bar. Haha (but for realz!) I made a couple mistakes today, but not terrible. Thank goodness! And easily remedied. I will mark my wooden mold next time, on both sides! If I’d done that I wouldn’t have to have moved ALL the doves... TWICE.
Hoping I can unmold without smooshing it sooner than later. I’m learning to trust that my new NS cutter can handle a tougher loaf.

Attachments

• 0203BDB7-53DA-4430-BDCB-484DAEB9BB88.jpeg
    0203BDB7-53DA-4430-BDCB-484DAEB9BB88.jpeg
    191.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 9EEB57FD-4F1D-4C20-AB44-18F8C54C8ACA.jpeg
    9EEB57FD-4F1D-4C20-AB44-18F8C54C8ACA.jpeg
    334 KB · Views: 28
  • 0F402245-AF5C-4EB6-8F3F-310C04077BB4.jpeg
    0F402245-AF5C-4EB6-8F3F-310C04077BB4.jpeg
    192 KB · Views: 29
  • 624BE00D-8FEE-40B1-97B3-C06CB832630C.jpeg
    624BE00D-8FEE-40B1-97B3-C06CB832630C.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 29
  • BADFEC3A-BAE9-4C7D-A2DF-FDA1CE643808.jpeg
    BADFEC3A-BAE9-4C7D-A2DF-FDA1CE643808.jpeg
    247.9 KB · Views: 32
You have to let me know how you like the powdered sugar. Did you notice any more working time with your soap batter? That's the reason I started using it. (Back in 2018 when I started following Teri of TreeMarie Soapworks, she uses powdered sugar). Also, yes there are 2 kinds of activated charcoal, Coconut and Hardwood. I always find I like to Coconut Charcoal better - it gives me a darker black. Although I usually mix the Coconut Charcoal with some black mica for a really black black.
I can't really say how much time it gave me to work since my batter riced as soon as i pour in the fo. That keeps happening to me lately and I don't know why. Nothing has changed about my recipe. My only guess is that I am soaping slightly warmer to help reduce ash...but it's not really THAT much warmer. Gonna give it another go tonight with the same recipe and same fo and soap cooler, see if that helps.

@TashaBird we can give credit to @Jersey Girl for sending me her beautiful soap that I looked up how she made it LOL. Now I'm addicted to making soap this way. It's so simple and makes two loaves. At first my cut was all crooked and wonky, so I swore that I would never do it again...but then after the second half is poured in, you can't even tell that I butchered the first half LOL

@Catscankim I did this design once, but both were different ITPSs instead of stripe. I wonder if I could pull off the diagonal cut with my ginormous loaf. But, I guess I ‘d have to have another one to finish it off.
Great job on that one, and the color combos are beautiful!

I can't really say how much time it gave me to work since my batter riced as soon as i pour in the fo. That keeps happening to me lately and I don't know why. Nothing has changed about my recipe. My only guess is that I am soaping slightly warmer to help reduce ash...but it's not really THAT much warmer. Gonna give it another go tonight with the same recipe and same fo and soap cooler, see if that helps.

@TashaBird we can give credit to @Jersey Girl for sending me her beautiful soap that I looked up how she made it LOL. Now I'm addicted to making soap this way. It's so simple and makes two loaves. At first my cut was all crooked and wonky, so I swore that I would never do it again...but then after the second half is poured in, you can't even tell that I butchered the first half LOL
I've heard holding back some of the oil, mixing the FO with that and then adding them to the batter together can help. Love your design!

@Catscankim I did this design once, but both were different ITPSs instead of stripe. I wonder if I could pull off the diagonal cut with my ginormous loaf. But, I guess I ‘d have to have another one to finish it off.
Great job on that one, and the color combos are beautiful!
I imagine that if you only have the one mold you can wrap half of the soap and then make another one after your first batch is unmolded. And I figure that the first one could be unmolded earlier than usual since only the new upper layer is in contact with the mold on one side...the first half is already done. If any of that makes sense LOL. You should try it. It's really not as hard as it looks.

edit: just re-read your post...you already did it LOL.

I imagine that if you only have the one mold you can wrap half of the soap and then make another one after your first batch is unmolded. And I figure that the first one could be unmolded earlier than usual since only the new upper layer is in contact with the mold on one side...the first half is already done. If any of that makes sense LOL. You should try it. It's really not as hard as it looks.

edit: just re-read your post...you already did it LOL.
On second thought though, I’m not sure I’d try it with my 7.5 loaf. I’d probably stick to my 2.5lb.

I did a layered first loaf. Originally I couldn't wrap my head around how it would work/look in the end, but I did 4 equal layers...only adding the lye to each container as the last layer was good and set up. Then poured the next layer and let set, repeat.

The very first one I did took a lot of math and it took all night. I am glad I took good math notes because that made it so much easier for future batches lol.

I cpop as usual...the four layers for the first batch. Cut (diagonally) and did an itps for the topper.

My fo for that pic is Cucumber Melon. My first one was black raspberry vanilla. A realtor bought both loaves for housewarming gifts to new homeowners.

Not very soapy but all afternoon I was discussing with an engineer and architect, layout and stuff for a soapmaking room. I won't have to make stuff in the kitchen once it's done 🥰

My parents are renovating their house so they decided to give me a section of the plot that's currently sitting unoccupied. Love em!

Yes, me n my sons live with my mom (and dad when he's here) still. They've refused to let me leave lol. Apparently I get my own room now as well haha

Edited to add: Lard soap is in the pot tonight!

Last edited:
Not very soapy but all afternoon I was discussing with an engineer and architect, layout and stuff for a soapmaking room. I won't have to make stuff in the kitchen once it's done 🥰

My parents are renovating their house so they decided to give me a section of the plot that's currently sitting unoccupied. Love em!

Yes, me n my sons live with my mom (and dad when he's here) still. They've refused to let me leave lol. Apparently I get my own room now as well haha

Edited to add: Lard soap is in the pot tonight!
That sounds awesome! I live with my parents too. I'm single and don't want to live alone. Also we pooled our income and were able to buy a big house and I basically have the upstairs to myself. It was also really helpful when my grandmother who had Dementia lived her last three years with us. It took all three of our working together to take care of her.

I am over the moon--I just cut the prototype of my over-ambitious Valentine's day design (figured I was likely to sacrifice an entire loaf if I didn't start small) and I PULLED IT OFF! Of course now I wish I had gone for the real whole thing, because I'll have my hands full all weekend doing this again. But I can't believe all the first-time stuff came together!
this is amazing...

That sounds awesome! I live with my parents too. I'm single and don't want to live alone. Also we pooled our income and were able to buy a big house and I basically have the upstairs to myself. It was also really helpful when my grandmother who had Dementia lived her last three years with us. It took all three of our working together to take care of her.
My family can be overwhelming sometimes, even at the best of times lol... At least I now get a space I can escape to once in a while haha.

My grandma, who also has dementia, is currently living with us as well. My dad, and the baby daddy is mainly overseas and my sister lives out. So it's basically me, my 2 sons, and my mother mostly. It does get full when the men are home though lol

Lard soap done! Used my oxides today, the very grey area of natural colorants lol. There's actually an uncolored part somewhere. Couldn't find my hanger swirl tool so this is a chopstick swirl inside - but I forgot to bang it down - let's see tomorrow (later lol).
IMG_20210108_011056.jpg

I also used one of those old FOs from my parent's old business - I wrote about that here, that they're decades old - and so far so good. Only thing is I have no idea how to describe this fragrance, not knowing the name anymore. This is actually a custom load for a friend's husband who said they didn't care if I use EO or FO as long as it smells nice lol

It's also my first time using paper to line a wood mold.....

My family can be overwhelming sometimes, even at the best of times lol... At least I now get a space I can escape to once in a while haha.

My grandma, who also has dementia, is currently living with us as well. My dad, and the baby daddy is mainly overseas and my sister lives out. So it's basically me, my 2 sons, and my mother mostly. It does get full when the men are home though lol

Lard soap done! Used my oxides today, the very grey area of natural colorants lol. There's actually an uncolored part somewhere. Couldn't find my hanger swirl tool so this is a chopstick swirl inside - but I forgot to bang it down - let's see tomorrow (later lol).
View attachment 53063
I also used one of those old FOs from my parent's old business - I wrote about that here, that they're decades old - and so far so good. Only thing is I have no idea how to describe this fragrance, not knowing the name anymore. This is actually a custom load for a friend's husband who said they didn't care if I use EO or FO as long as it smells nice lol

It's also my first time using paper to line a wood mold.....
Wow! Makes me think of a Monet painting.. Nice work!

Latest posts

Back