What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol or tiny hands.. Like mine lol

Seriously though... Have you measured how much total soap you'd need to make? If they're enough for a one lb test batch then all good, yes?
Or use it if you have a little bit left over from a batch. I often use smaller molds for the left overs; I've even had a couple of customers tell me they like the smaller bars better because they fit better in their hands.

@Misschief and @Dawni, the little flower patterns inside are adorable, but I'm not sure how they will come out, given the tiny size of the details. Each cavity is roughly 1"W x 1.75"L x .75"D - so maybe they could be guest soaps? The plan is to use left-over batter from another small batch. I'll post a pic when done. :)

Wife was out of shave soap, so made her 250 grams. Used "Water Orchid" scent (Crafters Choice from WSP). So also had to make a heavy (25% oils and butters) lotion in the same scent.
First time using BTMS-50. Seems to set up quicker than EWaxNF or BTMS-25.

Attachments

• 20200104_122151.jpg
    20200104_122151.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 22
Today I received a mold I'd ordered from AliExpress for *only* $8. Size wasn't listed, but the listing photo made it look like full-sized bars. Joke was on me - see pic for scale. They would make cute sample sizes, but I don't sell. And all the silicone edges need to be trimmed.

Next I tried to cancel the other pending mold that was ordered at the same time, but hadn't been shipped. They immediately changed the order status from "Canceled" to "Shipped." Am hoping that this one (which also didn't list measurements) will be full-sized. It's a cute wave pattern that I've been wanting to try. I guess I could try to make the world's smallest batch of soap to fill these two molds??

Let's just say that not only was this the first time that I've ordered from AliExpress, but also the last.

Hmmm, maybe this post belongs in the Post Your Gripe thread?
They are cute molds and will be handy for over pours. Or if you want to make some sample soaps. If you do not want them pm me. I will take them off your hands.

@Misschief and @Dawni, the little flower patterns inside are adorable, but I'm not sure how they will come out, given the tiny size of the details. Each cavity is roughly 1"W x 1.75"L x .75"D - so maybe they could be guest soaps? The plan is to use left-over batter from another small batch. I'll post a pic when done. :)

I have a small mold that was just like what happened to you. I use it for the left over batter, and call them "Tastes". I sell them for $1.00 each and quite a few people bought them to try out the soap.

@Kiti Williams, great idea! I don't sell, but I'm considering whether family members who like my soap as gifts might want some guests soaps. I might like them myself for that purpose. If I don't, for sure I'll contact you, @cmzaha, to rehome them. I hate keeping something around that I don't use, and love giving it to someone who will.

My daughter is haveing baby number 3 and wants a gender reveal soap. It has to be done right now as its already too late to give it a long proper cure to actually give people to use. But i need to make atleast two batches and the designs i want to do are a little time intensive and to look right will take two days and four batches. I dont want to be that labor intensive however this design is really pretty and i have been dying to try it.

This is a link to a similar one i want to do.

@Kiti Williams, great idea! I don't sell, but I'm considering whether family members who like my soap as gifts might want some guests soaps. I might like them myself for that purpose. If I don't, for sure I'll contact you, @cmzaha, to rehome them. I hate keeping something around that I don't use, and love giving it to someone who will.
I am offering to buy them, but you just might find them handy

NO! What was said was real life events and most newbies dont put in effort to understand what actually can and does happen, they think "today i make a soap" and before batch one has even cured they are going to sell the soap. One batch (or video) and they know everything. From what i have seen.
The reality of consequence is its own harsh teacher, so if someone wont listen too well they still get the lesson sooner or later......

I can finally post on this thread after what seems like a long hiatus for me with Christmas and a moved up wedding I have been deprived of my obsession.. But tonight I finally made soap! :dance:

I used Friday Nights from Natures Fragrance and made a very dark blue with stars and white soap bits on top and of course, lots of White Diamond glitter... and now, I wait...

Sorry, quoted wrong post lol

Cut my confetti - Ocean Breeze FO, not sure which American supplier it is from because my supplier here will not disclose.
View attachment 43240 View attachment 43241

Beautiful!

Last edited by a moderator:
Last night, I made a batch of oatmeal-goat's-milk-honey with 500g of oil in order to try out my leprechaun-sized molds. I unmolded today, and was pleasantly surprised that the details came out pretty well for such a small mold. The picture shows the rest of the batch, as well, which I poured into more typical-sized cavity-mold bars for comparison.
small soap 1.jpg
small soap 2.jpg

Last edited:
Made two batches of soap today! One is a belated Christmas gift for some friends, red, green, and white swirled Bastile scented with spearmint and clove EO. The other is a version of what's rapidly becoming my base recipe, purple with red and copper swirls and scented with litsea, rosemary, and grapefruit EO. Tried to set up separate soaping and pouring areas and set it all up so I could take the time to do swirls properly (I tried a spoon plop swirl and a drop swirl). Looking forward to cutting soon!

That sounds delicious. do you use lemon verbana FO?
Ohhh... Lemon Verbena! Should have thought of that. No, I used a blend of Sweet Orange EO and Yuzu FO.

20200105_123459.jpg

I've been making bath and body products for even longer than I've been making soap. In my supply cabinet, I have some liquids that really should be used up. They've been there so long that the plastic bottles are breaking down so I either have to use them up or get rid of them, which I really don't want to do. So.... I made myself some bubble bath. I remember making it before and it was wonderful!

I don't intend to sell these so there's no issue with re-using my Kombucha bottles. The second picture shows the bubbles I got from the little that was left in the bowl and the funnel. I scented it with Saltwater Mermaid. Now, I want a bath!

20200105_144706.jpg 20200105_144821.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back