What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you haven’t even cut it yet, how do you know this? I’m keeping my hopes up for you :)
Thanks.. It needs the hopes lol

The biggest reason is, while most of my previous soaps were poured, this one was glopped so I'm expecting big air pockets, at least, and hopefully only, on one side.

The other reason is, my colorants refused to mix well, when the same ones did before. The batter looked like CP that riced, puffy rice that is, closer to the size of peanuts than rice grains lol Something went wrong during the cook....

Today I tried my hand at my first lotion making session, and the soapy thing I did was cut my soap that I made 2 days ago. I had changed up my recipe, decreasing hard oils by 10% and adding in some different liquid oils instead. So my pour was SO workable, which was nice, but I wasn't expecting to have a softer cutting time after 48 hours. I pushed through though because I really wanted it all cut. I WILL wait to bevel them though. I'm pretty impressed with how it turned out.
15639997555064024309235844831076.jpg

Today I tried my hand at my first lotion making session, and the soapy thing I did was cut my soap that I made 2 days ago. I had changed up my recipe, decreasing hard oils by 10% and adding in some different liquid oils instead. So my pour was SO workable, which was nice, but I wasn't expecting to have a softer cutting time after 48 hours. I pushed through though because I really wanted it all cut. I WILL wait to bevel them though. I'm pretty impressed with how it turned out. View attachment 40515
Wow! The tilted poor is nice, but the pencil lines are my favorite part. Beautiful!

market this morning for 4 hours and then came home to finish my last set of horse soaps for the Draft Show sale--the show isn't until end of Sept and cant wait to see how they go over. I made four different colors. Had a lady at the market ask if I had a website for sale and when I said no she told me "well you really need to get one set up" I will take that as a very nice compliment :)

Today I tried my hand at my first lotion making session, and the soapy thing I did was cut my soap that I made 2 days ago. I had changed up my recipe, decreasing hard oils by 10% and adding in some different liquid oils instead. So my pour was SO workable, which was nice, but I wasn't expecting to have a softer cutting time after 48 hours. I pushed through though because I really wanted it all cut. I WILL wait to bevel them though. I'm pretty impressed with how it turned out. View attachment 40515
Really pretty! Love the colors, the tilted layers, the swirled top layer and the pencil lines!!!

Wow! The tilted poor is nice, but the pencil lines are my favorite part. Beautiful!
Oh thank you so much!!! I had major issues because there was a breeze and no matter what I did , the glitter flew EVERYWHERE...I made quite the mess.
:hairpulling:

Really pretty! Love the colors, the tilted layers, the swirled top layer and the pencil lines!!!

Oh thank you!! I felt like I was working on it forever...drooling the entire time because of that amazing FO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mother-in-law visiting from Chicago, which means she muled my TKB order across the border! This is only part of it and you can't see all the vibrant micas in the bags. SO THRILLED to not just have charcoal, gold, pink, and crayons ;-) Soapy thing = lying awake planning!

Attachments

• TKB.png
    TKB.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
Mother-in-law visiting from Chicago, which means she muled my TKB order across the border! This is only part of it and you can't see all the vibrant micas in the bags. SO THRILLED to not just have charcoal, gold, pink, and crayons ;-) Soapy thing = lying awake planning!

looks like some pretty soaps in your future!!!!

How exciting!

Working on getting complex wispy/pointy swirls without a tutorial... The one on the right is cut and while it’s a possible step in the right direction, I took a different approach for the one on the left. As you can see, I’m also playing around with the tops.

8A6F3A95-EE68-45AA-9F45-EC82ABECE07A.jpeg

Check out your local bakery, they usually have empty buckets that they will sell or give away. But all those goodies are a great way to get a free bucket! LOL!

In the interim, I found an old coconut oil pail and washed it out and was ready to go. But then I was at the store and saw the cherries and forgot about it! I buy the cherries every year but I think I still have some in the freezer from last year---oopie.

I LOVE cherries. Do they grow them in your part of the world? I would live in Michigan just to have cherries in the summer.

Yes, we have the sweet and the sour. Not in my yard or anything (my mother out west has that), but we can buy them. Not as easily as in Romania or Ukraine (where I got them for 50c/lb by the side of the road...)

Me and hubby are fasting tonight, so he was preparing something for dinner for his son (adult, don't ask me why he can't get his own dinner...but anyways...) and I was sitting in the lounge. Suddenly I rushed into the kitchen after a sudden realisation. "Have you got the oven on?" I asked him? "Yes, he replied. I hastily opened the oven door and rescued my 16 bars of CPOPping soap before they were turned into miniature volcanoes. Luckily he had only just turned it on.
#First world soaping problems.

I literally felt your panic!!!

Working on getting complex wispy/pointy swirls without a tutorial... The one on the right is cut and while it’s a possible step in the right direction, I took a different approach for the one on the left. As you can see, I’m also playing around with the tops.

View attachment 40519

That one on the right is AWESOME!!!!
:dance:

I just made a batch of goat's milk, buttermilk and coconut milk soap. I didn't insulate it, as I didn't want the heat to scald the milk. As it went through gel phase, it cracked. It also has a funky smell and I'm hoping the batch isn't ruined. I wish I had followed my first instinct to put it in the fridge after pouring it into the mold. I'll have to wait and see what happens.

Lemme just say... Fugliest soap ever. I used the same recipe that gave me great results last challenge and I'm still trying to figure out what went wrong this time.

If this ever miraculously unfuglifies itself in the mold maybe I'll post it. Maaaaybeee....
Whatdyaknow @Zany_in_CO, I did get a miracle lol

Cut soap is posted here.

Back to my salt soap/humidity experiment. It appears that a one year cure has made my salt soap much more impervious to the humidity now than it was at 4 weeks. I find that quite interesting. Sitting out in full-on humidity on the lanai for 24 hours and no water beads appeared - no a one. At 4 weeks multiple beads of water. So the lengthy cure seems to have prevented that. The exterior of the soap was wet, yes, but a smooth overall moisture as opposed to the pooling of beads on the surface that I saw last year. I sure wish I had taken photographs of it last year!

Salt soap/Humidity Experiment follow-up:

Well, apparently this salt soap required a longer and more intense exposure to bead up. 24 hours in high humidity was not enough. BUT, a bathroom with a whirlpool tub running for 15 minutes a few feet away from the soap WAS sufficient to re-create the water beading on top like it did when it was 4 weeks young and just sitting inside in high humidity.

Here's what it looks like:

full

However after wiping it dry and leaving it alone, it remained dry the rest of the day. Last year when it was only 4 weeks of age, it would bead up very quickly.

Conclusion: With a longer cure, salt soap requires a more instense exposure to high humidity before water will pool or bead up on the surface. NB, although some may call this 'sweating' it's not really sweating at all; It is drawing ambient water from the air.

I had a soap go wrong today, but in the end I am not totally unhappy with the result. I bought two new fragrances....one known to accelerate trace and one that doesn't. I was planning on a design that required a more fluid badder, but within seconds of putting the scent in, I had a thick pudding consistency. Realized then that I should not have trusted my memory of which fragrance did what. At that point I just spooned it into the mold in a way that I hoped would still look interesting in the end. It got very hot and developed a small crack on the top, but not too bad. One good thing was that I was able to unmold and cut it today. There are some minor air bubbles, plus extreme glycerine rivers in the white, but I kind of find that visually interesting as it is the first time I have had glycerine rivers. My husband thinks it looks neat, plus it smells divine so I am not that disappointed. I will consider it a learning experience since i am a newer soaper, and will take more care the next time I use this particular fragrance.

Attachments

• sugarplum.jpg
    sugarplum.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 72
Sometimes glycerin rivers have a nice effect on the look of the soap.. Make it look more complicated than it actually is lols. I like that color @Deanna :)

Not necessarily today, but yesterday and the day before I made a loaf of 42 oz soap each day; very proud of myself. It's my go-to recipe (30 OO/30 PO/30 CO/10 SA) but I tried some different scents, EO, and colors I got from Hobby Lobby.

Not impressed with the colorants, they seem like I'd need to use the whole thing for a really vibrant color, which would get expensive, or maybe I should make the batch white first. Scent and EO turned out really well - a honey and oat blend with the first, which went interestingly with the first soul's final color, a nice peachy pink-orange. The second batch got a nice vanilla scent and tea tree oil - and was thankfully not overpowering; the last time I used tea tree oil it nearly vaporized me - paired with a blue-green color that looks kinda pale blue right now.

I'll also say I'm sad how hard it was to make a straight cut with a crinkle cutter. One of the bars from the peach loaf ended up tens of grams over my original intent of 100 grams per bar and most are slightly lopsided. I'll just have to practice, I suppose!

I'll also say I'm sad how hard it was to make a straight cut with a crinkle cutter. One of the bars from the peach loaf ended up tens of grams over my original intent of 100 grams per bar and most are slightly lopsided. I'll just have to practice, I suppose!

this is why I made a wire cutter, no matter what I tried I could not cut a straight bar. I even bought a miter box and screwed a piece of wood on the end as a stopper and they were still crooked. if you google wire cutters you will find instructions on how to make one--I had scrap wood and screws laying around and only had to buy eye screws and guitar strings. While its not the prettiest thing around it works real good and cost me around $10--I even made 2 of them. one for 1"cuts and one for 1.25" cuts

Latest posts

Back