What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No soap lately, but need to wrap 200 bars in the next week or two for my show the 3rd week of August. Making bath bombs and sugar scrubs this weekend. My daughter and grandkids are leaving for Florida today so I'll have a week of non-interrupted quiet with them not dropping in almost daily. Going to miss them though.....

I made salt bars with Coconut Lime Verbena from WSP yesterday. Just unmolded them this morning. It’s my second batch this summer. Everyone seems to love them. I really like the fragrance and it suits a salt bar well.

4 batches done.

Bamboo
Fireplace (which has some Cranberry/Orange Fo that I can only use at 1% to cut the main FO and use up this cran/orange)
Aloe/Wht Lilac
Bay Rum

And I am about to do a Salt bar of Celestial

Tried out a new set up for soaps to gel, but I don't think it is going to work out well. I think I only got a partial gel on 2 so far. They usually gel Super Fast, but not today.

I finally made an order of micas and fragrances. Cross your fingers they work for cp soap! Also ordered some TD and, avocado oil (is was cheap-ish) and lye.

Yesterday I made my first CP soap out of our used cooking oil. It came out perfect. I did a zap test. I am in the process of converting a bit of it into whipped laundry soap. The rest of the bars are curing.

I just had my first lye disaster and I think I'm traumatized. The lesson I learned today is liquid soap can volcano and it doesn't beat down like normal soap.

I have made many batches of liquid soap and never had it volcano. I think I had it too hot. I normally do hthp so I think by habit I put the crock pot on high. As soon as I got it to stop it was at gel stage. I'm cooking what's left but my hands are still shaking

I just had my first lye disaster and I think I'm traumatized. The lesson I learned today is liquid soap can volcano and it doesn't beat down like normal soap.

I have made many batches of liquid soap and never had it volcano. I think I had it too hot. I normally do hthp so I think by habit I put the crock pot on high. As soon as I got it to stop it was at gel stage. I'm cooking what's left but my hands are still shaking
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you are able to revive your soap and perhaps haeve a squeaky clean area as a consolation prize.

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you are able to revive your soap and perhaps haeve a squeaky clean area as a consolation prize.
I lost about a third of it. Luckily none made it to the floor but got all over the crock pot and on the table. It came up too fast to even take the crock out of the base. Also luckily, it was just laundry soap so I lost just a little coconut oil and lard

I lost about a third of it. Luckily none made it to the floor but got all over the crock pot and on the table. It came up too fast to even take the crock out of the base. Also luckily, it was just laundry soap so I lost just a little coconut oil and lard
I feel your pain, I had this happen on my second batch of liquid coconut oil soap, literally stiring one second, reached behind me for a spatula and boom there it was in all its glory all over the crock and counter....bf though he'd be funny by asking me if it was really soap I was making or if I was going Walter White on him lol. Glad you weren't hurt and was able to save some of it:)

I've been up all night trying to learn one last thing on DaVinci Resolve 15 (beta) so I could finish the Challenge video to 'perfection'. But long a about 3 am, I decided I wasn't going to learn this one last thing tonight and that the video would be fine without it. So I went ahead and told the software to render the project so I could post it on YouTube. Posted the thread and now I'm catching up reading on the forum.

Tomorrow I pack for a roadtrip, so today will be all about tidying up the soap areas. Little by little I've been re-organizing the rooms and associated stuff, so it won't be a huge job. But I also need to gather soaps to bring along as gifts and prepare a couple of soap mailings for family. And take a nap!

Cut 3 of the batches this morning (did one last night and it was too soon).

I am in Heaven with the Bamboo and Bay Rum.... I don't think I will leave this room ever again !

From L - R
Aloe & Wht Lilac, Bay Rum, Bamboo, Fireplace with Cran/Orange
Darn Fire got partial Gel, but the others seem ok which I thought they all had partial Gel. It also has what looks like Stearic spots and was cut last night too early. I have figured out that doing that is causing my spots to show up. ALL of these batches were heated high to melt all stearic (I was testing). Only difference is the cut time.

Aloe really needs a darker swirl :( but I love the way the Bay turned out.

Yes, it is and I am not sorry it is there ......... The Boom Chicka Pop corn that is at the bottom of the page. It has been there for a month and is still 1/2 full ;)

20180802_085945[1].jpg

Made my ocean soap last night. I thought I had 5 ounces of FO left... turns out I had 4 ounces. Fortunately enough to make the batch. Looks like I'll be re-ordering the FO... again... dangit and WSP just had a(n) FO sale and I didn't order any. Might have to get some ocean samples from BCN to see if they have something similar for less. I'm pretty sure the last time I bought the FO it was $28 PPO and I thought it was steep then, but now the price is up to $35 PPO. If anyone has recommendations I could try that are similar to Sea Salt and Driftwood, please let me know!

Tonight is Thursday night market, which I haven't been to in two weeks (other obligations), so I'll cut my soap when I get home from that. Trying to decide if I'm going to squeeze in making the Cherry Almond soap tonight or not - I could possibly make it tomorrow night, but then I wouldn't get to cut it until Sunday night, as I'll be out of town for a two day show. I haven't waited two days to cut a soap in .... years! Probably since the whipped soap challenge. I think my recipe might be too hard to wait that long, it's plenty hard after 24 hours. Yeah, I'll probably make it tonight.

Oh, yeah. Last night I was double checking some inventory, and officially pulled my Nag Champa soaps. I thought I had them cleaned up and done weeping... nope. Still oozing brown stuff. It's not zappy, it doesn't smell, so I'm suspecting that it was the vanilla stabilizer (that didn't work anyways) that is oozing out. Glad that I switched to BCN's stabilizer, I've used that several times without problems. I'll make another Nag Champa batch next week. Trying to decide if the bars that are weeping are safe enough to use for personal use or if I should just chuck them. I really don't need more soap in my personal stash... Then I also chucked my Grape Soda Frankenstein soaps. I had to unwrap one because the label had ripped and discovered DOS, so I checked all the bars, they were all that way. This is the second time I've used CC's grape soda FO and I had DOS on the first bars too, so I think there's something up with that FO. Unfortunate because I really like the smell.

Sorry for the long post... just soapy ramblings on my brain today!

Unpacked my rustic escenutals order...mostly dupes of ones I had so I have enough to make 2lbs of each as soap. That's it!

Amd, I've not had a nag champa weep before out of several different ones i've tried...so I'd suspect the stabilizer too.

Latest posts

Back