What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That merlot wine soap is pretty. I don't know how much of the wine scent comes through in wine soaps, but I can't help but think green cognac EO would smell amazing in that sort of soap. OOB the first thing I smell from it is apples, then it sort of shifts into being a fruity wine smell, then the fruity notes step back just a little and the wine takes center stage. The EO is distilled from the lees left after making wine, and is a bit on the pricey side (at least from the supplier I've found it at). I'm already planning on trying to build a perfume around the scent.

Meanwhile I got the case I ordered to keep perfumery supplies and gear in, and got all my empty bottles and my smaller bottles of EOs loaded into it. I'm also womanfully resisting the temptation to try to pull the soap I made last night out of the mold. I checked it already and it's still way too soft. Grrr. I wanna see how it looks inside! Anyone got any x-ray vision glasses they could loan me?

So you got the white color from the same batter as the burgundy? How much TD did you have to use? Sorry for all the questions, I am just a curious little cat today. I love your burgundy too. I have a huge admiration for people who understand colors enough to know what to mix for the desired affect. I didn't refrigerate mine either, and no problems with overheating. I did use a wine reduction (boiled 750ml down to about 400ml) which may have changed things. I popped mine out of mold at 12 hours, but really should have waited at least another 12 hours. The corners were quite mushy yet so I had to do some minor patch work. My recipe is 65% hard oils and I use 1 tsp salt/ppo in my lye water, which helps me unmold faster. Keep us (me) posted on the results!

I used 3 tsp of TO to get that color - not really white, but more beige because of the wine in the base soap had a burgundy/brown color. (I also use sodium lactate - 1.5 tsp to harden) I checked my soap and it's hard - really tempted to pop out! But.......let's have some patience!! I will wait til morning! LOL

Opened two packages today - no, three. First was two shirts for the Solar Eclipse (Aug 21 in Carbondale, Illinois - we will be watching with our special glasses.) okay the first one wasn't soap related. 8)

Next package was the USMC seal stamp I want to try out with soap for my brother. It may not work after all.

The third was the real soapy thing: My acrylic planer with 6.5 inches of planing surface came today!!! Of course I had to give it a try and plane some soap. I love it. No unwanted grooves.

That merlot wine soap is pretty. I don't know how much of the wine scent comes through in wine soaps, but I can't help but think green cognac EO would smell amazing in that sort of soap. OOB the first thing I smell from it is apples, then it sort of shifts into being a fruity wine smell, then the fruity notes step back just a little and the wine takes center stage. The EO is distilled from the lees left after making wine, and is a bit on the pricey side (at least from the supplier I've found it at). I'm already planning on trying to build a perfume around the scent.

Meanwhile I got the case I ordered to keep perfumery supplies and gear in, and got all my empty bottles and my smaller bottles of EOs loaded into it. I'm also womanfully resisting the temptation to try to pull the soap I made last night out of the mold. I checked it already and it's still way too soft. Grrr. I wanna see how it looks inside! Anyone got any x-ray vision glasses they could loan me?

patience, patience......that's what I;m going through now with my wine soap! i want to pop out my mold!! Must wait until morning!

Well, I am a HUGE trekkie, and in honor of the Star Trek anniversary in September, I made some star trek soap.:)

Here is a couple of pieces.

DSCN1669.JPG

I love those Starfleet embeds, SRA!

I got my most recent order from Brambleberry, two bag/jugs of their coconut oil, one of their hangar swirl tools just to try and some balsam of peru oil. Should get my BA order in sometime this week, then have to find room in my locked cabinet for 8 pounds of NaOH. I think my mineral pigments are going to move to a new location, since they don't need to be under lock and key like the lye does and they're not particularly light or temperature sensitive either.

Honeycrisp Apple made w/ applesauce

Cold process soap made with applesauce. 4 color swirl. We'll see what the inside looks like tomorrow Must wait.....patience....LOL

Update - there is the cut soap. Turned out ok. Different kind of swirl!

apple.jpg

apple1.jpg

Last edited:
Spent the morning carving soap. I have seen many videos using woodcarving tools but it always looks a little heavy handed and then I thought linoleum cutter. I used to make linoleum prints and the tools are much finer. It works very well. I was quite happy with the results.

That looks absolutely divine. I am trying to get to that level of competence....my batter always starts to get too thick before I can do much with it. What base oils do you use please?

That looks absolutely divine. I am trying to get to that level of competence....my batter always starts to get too thick before I can do much with it. What base oils do you use please?

Olive oil, 34.8%
Coconut oil 27.8%
Palm oil 18.6%
Shea butter 15.9%
Castor oil 2.9%

I love this formula! Use it all the time. I also add 2 tsp of sodium lactate to the oils

I only use a stick blender for about 10 to 20 seconds at a time. Get more control that way. I use a whisk in-between. I stop at thin trace, because I have to add the colors. Thin to Medium trace by then. After I'm done with the pour - do my swirl or hanger. Then I wait about 10 minutes or so, then at thick trace - add what's left on the top.

HOpe this helps!!

Great advice, thank you. Carry on soaping! I use similar really, 40% olive, 25% each of coconut and shea and 10% castor. Here in the uk a lot advertise that they don't use palm oil so I thought I had better not too. I know there are sustainable sources but we are a suspicious lot over here! Didn't want anyone avoiding my soap - when I am ready to sell.

I started a batch of honey & beeswax soap but hubby had a bad night and went to sleep so I couldn't stick blend it or he would have woken up. So I left the lye and oils to cool and went to the gym. When I came back the oil was too cool so I heated it to 110F and for the first time mixed in the room temp lye (not very warm in the uk right now). It seemed to go to the bottom of the jug. I warmed the honey with a little water and tipped that in and started blending and stirring again. It seemed to go ok but I haven't done it like this and I am hoping it is not going to be a zapper? Put bubble wrap on top to give that honeycomb look and checking to make sure it doesn't volcano....

Finally ordered some ingredients to try making bubble scoops! I bought the Two Wild Hares recipe months ago but money has been tight so I didn't buy any ingredients. Now my order should arrive tomorrow, and I can grab the rest (baking soda, etc.) locally at Walmart. We did a bathroom reno recently and I have a gorgeous new tub to "test" my creations in! :mrgreen:

Pumpkin Spice Latte Cupcake Soaps

Made 7 Pumpkin Spice Latte Cupcake soaps today! House smells wonderful! A little pumpkin - a little coffee smell. I'll take a picture of them when I pop them out tomorrow. Probably a good 5.5 to 6 oz soaps. I'll weigh them tomorrow.

Update- here's the cupcakes. A little bigger than expected. Oh well....... 6.3 to 6.5 oz

pumpki spice.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back