What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered more soap stuff! I'm new to this and made a deal with myself- I needed to make 3 batches with the materials I originally bought, before buying more stuff. I've done so, and am getting tired of making pale yellow uncoloured soap. So I bought some micas off of amazon & a nice pour pitcher thing. Yay!

I ordered more soap stuff! I'm new to this and made a deal with myself- I needed to make 3 batches with the materials I originally bought, before buying more stuff. I've done so, and am getting tired of making pale yellow uncoloured soap. So I bought some micas off of amazon & a nice pour pitcher thing. Yay!

Er, I hate to spoil what should be lots of fun, but did you check that the micas are ok for CP soap? Quite a few of the colorants used in cosmetics don't do well in soap.

Yes, that is so true about micas not meant for CP soap. I once experimented with eye shadow because I was traveling and had not brought enough colorants with me. So I went to Walmart and bought some eye shadow. The colors were very disappointing. One didn't even show at all as a color. The lye just ate it up. One morphed immediately. After cure they were barely discernible.

Er, I hate to spoil what should be lots of fun, but did you check that the micas are ok for CP soap? Quite a few of the colorants used in cosmetics don't do well in soap.

Hmmmmm, some people reviewed saying they had used them in soap, but didn't specify method. Thanks for the heads up, I guess this may be more of a learning experience than I thought?!?

Last night I played with red, white and gold soap dough that I had made in April/May. I made flowers from it for a "mulled wine" soap I am going to make. I plan to use a red wine reduction with a pomegranate orange cider FO. I haven't committed to a design yet. Part of me really wants to do Soapish's (?? I think that's who posted the video on YouTube) diagonal sliced striped and swirled soap. I might do it depending on how timing goes over the next few days. I have some errands to run tonight, and bathrooms to clean (boys. that is all.), and a birthday party tomorrow night and my bachelorette BBQ party on Saturday, and then Sunday VBS starts at church (I run the kitchen for the week)... along with all the other wedding/life stuff going on. Yes, I am going to make time to do that soap. I need the soap therapy. (Sorry my posts have been kind of rantish lately.)

I love apartment life! They were remodeling some of the apartments and DH scored this for me! So this is the soapy thing I got today!! It looks brand new! I was using a small entertainment center for my soaping station (also pictured), now I have more than double the space!

IMG_20170720_183944.jpg

IMG_20170720_184007.jpg

While being a passenger in the car on our short trip (we went to Indianapolis for a couple of days), I read one novel (a soapmaking mystery) and one complete soap making book and finished the second half of another soapmaking book. Granted the third one was very short; I had read the first half on the train last week on our way to Chicago. The second half that I read today was really about mixing fragrances.

Now I want to try out some of the things I read about in the last two books, and read the next soapmaking mystery novel (I have 2 more by the same author from the library.) But first I plan to make one more mermaid tail design soap for the challenge.

Not too soapy I guess, but I'm making two little pots of solid perfume. One is the nag champa blend I made, going to see if MIL approves. The other is a floral blend with carnation, ylang, balsam of peru and amyris. It's just for fun. So, wow, talk about short work window. I had about 20 seconds from the time I took the little container with one of the perfumes in it off heat before it was solid again. I actually only got about half of it poured before it got too stiff (had to mix in EOs, took too long). Of course, by this time the other one had thickened up too much to pour as well. I've got them in a hot water bath to melt again, should be able to pour in just a few more minutes. THEN I'm going to make soap!

The perfumes are poured and my oils are melting. I hope this soap turns out like I want it to.

Last edited:
Not too soapy I guess, but I'm making two little pots of solid perfume. One is the nag champa blend I made, going to see if MIL approves. The other is a floral blend with carnation, ylang, balsam of peru and amyris. It's just for fun. So, wow, talk about short work window. I had about 20 seconds from the time I took the little container with one of the perfumes in it off heat before it was solid again. I actually only got about half of it poured before it got too stiff (had to mix in EOs, took too long). Of course, by this time the other one had thickened up too much to pour as well. I've got them in a hot water bath to melt again, should be able to pour in just a few more minutes. THEN I'm going to make soap!

The perfumes are poured and my oils are melting. I hope this soap turns out like I want it to.

My friend love solid perfume, I made her long time ago with simple blend of frankincense, rosewood and lavender. I love the scent but I don't like the oily feelings. I preferred to use perfumer's alcohol.

Ok. You can't just throw that one out there and not offer up a title and author.

Sorry, I posted about these mysteries in another post previously, so didn't want to bore people by repeating myself. But here goes:

Author: Tim Myers.
I've read 3 books in the soapmaking mysteries series. Apparently these are the only 3 books in the series, though. I am disappointed because I want to read more. But it looks like he also has a Candlemaking Mystery series as well. And a Cardmaking Series. So I guest he writes mysteries using different kinds of crafts as a focal point.

The titles I read were:

Dead Men Don't Lye
A Pour Way to Die
A Mold for Murder

My friend love solid perfume, I made her long time ago with simple blend of frankincense, rosewood and lavender. I love the scent but I don't like the oily feelings. I preferred to use perfumer's alcohol.

I'm going to try to work out a solid lotion base that I like for making perfumes. The beeswax leaves just a bit of a sticky feeling behind.

I'm going to try to work out a solid lotion base that I like for making perfumes. The beeswax leaves just a bit of a sticky feeling behind.

Yes it does that's why I don't like the feel of it. But it's more natural than perfumer's alcohol.

Latest posts

Back