What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mixed colors and am working up the courage to try a rainbow zebra pour tomorrow. Stay tuned to the soapy mistake/ugly soap threads. Could be an addition there in a day or two.

Lots of glycerin rivers. But I still like it enough to not put it in the ugly soap thread.

rainbow soap 002.jpg

Last edited:
Played with my new soap planer a bit tonight. Two cuts -- one off each large face of a bar -- removes only 3 grams of soap. The shavings are so thin and translucent -- I wonder how they would work as single-use flakes of soap. Pretty neat!

Ohhh, I've checked, trust me. :)
The closest that I got was some drain cleaning product that Lowe's had in stock that says it's 100% pure sodium hydroxide.
Considering it will be my very first batch of soap ever, I'm not sure I'm willing to risk using a drain cleaning product that promises it's completely pure.

I'm fine with buying it online. Only downside is that I have to wait a few more days.

I looked it up and this drain cleaner seems pretty solid. A few people even commented on make soap with it. Of course, if you're planning on trying out a pretzel recipe, Essential Depot, The Lye Guy, Brambleberry and the likes are better choices.

I made two batches of my holiday soaps, the Winter Storm and Peppermint Candy soaps I sent with the Holiday Swap with some tweaks to the recipes. I'm feeling good about how they turned out.

Also made my third batch of vanilla testers for my vanilla test.

Soaking rice for its milk. Gonna try ricemilk soap after this. Can't wait!

I got my first delivery of Shea butter, camellia oil, almond oil and pink clay. New Directions Australia gave me a gift, as well - harmony body wash. Not sure what it is but will check it out soon. Can't wait to make my first batch of soap for myself rather than DH [emoji2]

Over the weekend I made Lavender Chamomile soap, and worked on my table setup for an upcoming craft show. This week will be making Midnight Pomegranate, Orchid & Pink Musk (I think it's called), and maybe squeezing in a Nag Champa. Hopefully will be getting some good practice at coloring and ITP swirls.

Hubby bought me lard yesterday, so I just measured out oils and ran numbers for holiday gift soaps for my family using my individual 'dragonfly on lily pad' molds. I'm using pumpkin purée (for the first time), citric acid and correlating additional lye (for the first time), and 2 sample bottles of Winter Gardenia FO from BB (for the first time). Because what better time to try 3 new things than on holiday gift soaps?

Yesterday, I had my daughter pick up a growler (64 oz) of a local craft brew pub's Blackstrap Brown Ale, with the intention of making some beer soap on the weekend. Until that time, I have to make sure my husband doesn't find the bottle and I'll be planning my scent.

The description of the beer is "Full-bodied brown ale with molasses and spice". I'm leaning towards using a patchouli and spice based blend of essential oils but if anyone has any good suggestions, please, bring them on.

"...The batch I made today looks like bars of earwax..."

Oh my -- that's an intriguing mental picture! :mrgreen: Come to think of it ... I have a batch that looks like that too. ;)

Mixed colors and am working up the courage to try a rainbow zebra pour tomorrow. Stay tuned to the soapy mistake/ugly soap threads. Could be an addition there in a day or two.

Lots of glycerin rivers. But I still like it enough to not put it in the ugly soap thread.

Oooh I like that!!!

How did I miss this? It's great!!

I just went downstairs to ogle and sniff my soap from this morning and realized it was wonderfully hard. It popped right out of the mold and I'm so stinkin' happy with it! I got 3 dragonflies, and 6 bars from my silicone bar mold. BB's Winter Gardenia, pumpkin purée added to my oils as half the water, and no added color.
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1445375095.954676.jpg

I just went downstairs to ogle and sniff my soap from this morning and realized it was wonderfully hard. It popped right out of the mold and I'm so stinkin' happy with it! I got 3 dragonflies, and 6 bars from my silicone bar mold. BB's Winter Gardenia, pumpkin purée added to my oils as half the water, and no added color.
View attachment 17293

I love the color you got, really lovely soaps.

I tried to make some m&p snowflakes but I have a owie on my big toe and find it difficult to stand. Have to find a podiatrist to have it removed.

However, I got about 10 of the snowflake embeds poured and just have a few more to make.

I made my first ever batch of soap. I went with hot process because I don't really care how it looks. No fragrance or color because I'm aiming for the most hypoallergenic soap possible. Just olive, canola, castor, and coconut oils. Nothing impressive but I'm pretty please that it worked.

I made my first ever batch of soap. I went with hot process because I don't really care how it looks. No fragrance or color because I'm aiming for the most hypoallergenic soap possible. Just olive, canola, castor, and coconut oils. Nothing impressive but I'm pretty please that it worked.

Congratulations on your first batch! I'm glad you like how it turned out and I bet you can't wait until you can use it.

Latest posts

Back