What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I watched a you-tube documentary about Lebanese olive oil soap making. They have only three factory's that make soap. It was so interesting the way they make soap. It was like watching them pouring concrete and making a foundation of soap on the ground then they level it and make a whole flooring of soap making thousands of soap at a time. Then they stamp and cut it and make towers of soap blocks to let it dry. So interesting I always use olive oil in my recipes so I really liked this documentary. If you have time you should watch it just punch in Lebanese olive oil soap making its so cool and the tools they use are very old and they have been making soap like this for thousands of years I think they said. I also watched a video on how to make lye with ash from hardwood I might try this in the future making soap like this with ash. Looks fun! Has anyone tried this!
I think I watched that same video ~ I watched several actually when I was researching Aleppo soap and olive oil soaps ~ their process is definitely unique and cool to watch!

Today I watched a you-tube documentary about Lebanese olive oil soap making. They have only three factory's that make soap. It was so interesting the way they make soap. It was like watching them pouring concrete and making a foundation of soap on the ground then they level it and make a whole flooring of soap making thousands of soap at a time. Then they stamp and cut it and make towers of soap blocks to let it dry. So interesting I always use olive oil in my recipes so I really liked this documentary. If you have time you should watch it just punch in Lebanese olive oil soap making its so cool and the tools they use are very old and they have been making soap like this for thousands of years I think they said. I also watched a video on how to make lye with ash from hardwood I might try this in the future making soap like this with ash. Looks fun! Has anyone tried this!
It’s absolutely amazing to see how they make it. I think they are becoming more popular due to videos about the companies. I might buy their soap and see if I like it, but I’m just not a big fan of olive oil in soap.

Never tried making lye myself.

Sounds similar to Aleppo soap. Did they use laurel berry oil? I bought some Aleppo soap from a local Arab market. I really like the scent, but am not a fan of olive oil.

Speaking of rabbitholes YouTube videos, I've been searching for one and can't find it. This woman starts with burning branches to create lye and then goes through the whole soap making process. It is incredibly elegant and zen-like and mind-boggling.

Sounds similar to Aleppo soap. Did they use laurel berry oil? I bought some Aleppo soap from a local Arab market. I really like the scent, but am not a fan of olive oil.

Speaking of rabbitholes YouTube videos, I've been searching for one and can't find it. This woman starts with burning branches to create lye and then goes through the whole soap making process. It is incredibly elegant and zen-like and mind-boggling.
I'm not sure if they use Laurel berry sounds nice though. . I found a few videos of how to make lye with ash this is the one I watched. Yes I think it is zenlike I will try this in the future unfortunately I don't have a wood stove but maybe this summer after camping I could save the ashes from the 🔥

It’s absolutely amazing to see how they make it. I think they are becoming more popular due to videos about the companies. I might buy their soap and see if I like it, but I’m just not a big fan of olive oil in soap.

Never tried making lye myself.
I should see if I can buy some too it would be interesting to try.😊

Just finished a busy day of Pine Tar soap making. I made 2 batches one batch for a friend and one batch for me. Oh how I love my Pine Tar lol 🥰
IMG_20240301_153524.jpg

Making my first liquid castile soap. I imagine this should go in the "liquid soap" forum but (a) I don't see any thread like this one over there, and (b) I only made it because I don't have the oils I really want for making my next batch of bars.

Still, an excellent experience! I grew up with Dr. Bronner's and am looking forward to tinkering with my recipes. Starting out with 100% olive oil because I know Dr. B uses a mix and I want to see what 100% olive is like.

Making my first liquid castile soap. I imagine this should go in the "liquid soap" forum but (a) I don't see any thread like this one over there, and (b) I only made it because I don't have the oils I really want for making my next batch of bars.

Still, an excellent experience! I grew up with Dr. Bronner's and am looking forward to tinkering with my recipes. Starting out with 100% olive oil because I know Dr. B uses a mix and I want to see what 100% olive is like.
OMG I spoke too soon. Opened the pot after 15 minutes for a stir and the "soap paste" is hard as a rock. Maybe I will take this over to the liquid soap forum. 😄

I bought this at Costco - $12 for 3L!! I’ve never bought it before - is it always that cheap?

View attachment 76658
That’s great! I’ve switched to HO sunflower. Olive oil is too expensive.
My soapy thing today and yesterday was mixing about 110 kg of soap master batch oils. Yeah - it’s a lot. Happy to be done.

Was it this one @Zing? I love her videos, and when you described it as elegant I immediately thought of her work.

Super cool, thanks for sharing but it was not the one I'm thinking of. If I had to guess the location I would say Japan. It's all filmed outside. The woman has the look of total peace on her face. The mold is clear.

Sting aka Zing Jr is heading back to his home in Chicago for a work meeting at his bee company. He asked me to make labels for his recent honey/beeswax soap and I used his company's logo. He's giving them to his boss and coworkers. (When I say 'his' company, I mean he's an employee and not the owner. Yet.)
Here's a photo of Sting:
IMG_1315001.jpg

Last edited:
Sting aka Zing Jr is heading back to his home in Chicago for a work meeting at his bee company. He asked me to make labels for his recent honey/beeswax soap and I used his company's logo. He's giving them to his boss and coworkers. (When I say 'his' company, I mean he's an employee and not the owner. Yet.)
Here's a photo of Sting:
View attachment 76662
What a cute doggy.

Here's a photo of Sting:
View attachment 76662
Sting is a handsome guy! I LOVE seeing pics of the peeps here and/or their loved ones. Sweet pup, too. 😊

Super cool, thanks for sharing but it was not the one I'm thinking of. If I had to guess the location I would say Japan. It's all filmed outside. The woman has the look of total peace on her face. The mold is clear.
Thanks for sharing! We used to do this in Minnesota, and I think it looks more like around there. Her leaching bucket is nice! We used a regular barrel. Also, my Grandma's pork fat soap was a bit smelly, and we just used pork fat soap for washing up dishes and such in the kitchen (not for personal soap).

Well today was Pine Tar soap cutting day. I wanted to make the batch I made for my self more girly looking so I used a flower and butterfly mold it's very nice! I wasn't too happy about the silicone mold I bought though I washed it in hot water not to hot I could still put my hands in it and after it dried it was to big to put back in the wooden mold so I put it in the freezer for a bit to try shrinking it and I was able to squish it back in the mold but it's not nice a bit wrinkley. So I'm not to impressed with this mold I bought. The bottom of it is bubbling up because it's to big now.
IMG_20240303_154219.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240303_161117.jpg
    IMG_20240303_161117.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240303_163215.jpg
    IMG_20240303_163215.jpg
    907.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240303_163301.jpg
    IMG_20240303_163301.jpg
    1,017.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Love that you girlied-up your pine tar soaps! Sorry to hear about that mold, though. I'm wondering if you could heat it a bit (hot water? warm oven?) and then stuff it back into the wood holder with some weights on the bottom.

Latest posts

Back