What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because I was alone doing this, besides the scuba divers who assisted LOL and as I said, this was completely unplanned. We usually don't get anything like this blowing in unless we have had a wind storm, which was not the case. I also generally don't bother hauling my phone around with me in the bush / by the edge of the ocean. There is far too much potential for something to go wrong in those scenarios 😁 I also don't have cell reception out here, so there's really no point, and have never been one for selfies either 🤳

Although, to be honest, I was thinking about it today and wishing I DID have video footage of this, because it was bizarre in the most awesome way haha 😂 Never in my life have I ever pictured myself hauling a 50 foot bull kelp out of the ocean & up a hill, dragging its tail behind me like the tail of a serpent from the depths of a flaming pit LOL Something to watch when I'm 115 years into things & to show to the grandbabies! 😊

Processing it involved breaking it up into those 4 foot lengths, initially. Then once I got it hauled home in my transport sleds & had my machete, cutting board, kitchen chopping knife & Shimano knife set up, along with a couple of big buckets. I split the 4 foot lengths into half as best as I could. THAT is easier said than done with the slip factor & the incredible awkwardness of handling this stuff.

I then cut those 4 foot lengths into smaller lengths, about 2 feet, then cut those 1 foot lengths into half again, and then one more time in half for easier handling.

Then sliced each piece into long segments, kinda like you would a cucumber for a salad. Think half a cucumber & splitting it lengthwise into triangular type pieces. Except I did about 6 pieces at a time, otherwise I woulda been at it for a week :nonono:

Then chop those suckers into bit size pieces :nodding: and dump them into the bucket until all 50 feet are processed. Then use then as intended. That fermenting-bucket-o-bull-kelp is going to stink-stank-stunk to high🔥 but the garden is going to absolutely LOVE it! My indoor plants are gonna get a nice fertilization boost over the winter as well :)

I got half of it processed the first afternoon - about an hour & a half because it was getting dark - and then spent another hour & a half or so the next day finishing chopping. Total process, about 5 hours, including the hauling & equipment organizing. The lessons learned LOL I will be better prepared next time after doing it once!

To say I was filthy is an understatement 😂It was fun though!😊

Yes, that's probably the correct word....it was an EVENT 🤣 I wish I coulda seen it too, because in the moment, all I can think of is HOW ARE YOU GOING TO PULL THIS OFF CHICK? THINK HARD & FAST! 😁

There is a first time for everything, and I was not going to pass that opportunity up. Like I do with a lot of stuff & situations, I figure things out in the moment using the tools I have available to me. And I did so! LOL

It's some beautiful stuff....truly amazing stuff....but that was a whole lot of very dirty, wet work LOL 😂

I love living where I do! Always an amazing adventure, even on quiet days :thumbs:
Wow! What a story - and how industrious you are! **goes off to research bull kelp**

Because I was alone doing this, besides the scuba divers who assisted LOL and as I said, this was completely unplanned. We usually don't get anything like this blowing in unless we have had a wind storm, which was not the case. I also generally don't bother hauling my phone around with me in the bush / by the edge of the ocean. There is far too much potential for something to go wrong in those scenarios 😁 I also don't have cell reception out here, so there's really no point, and have never been one for selfies either 🤳

Although, to be honest, I was thinking about it today and wishing I DID have video footage of this, because it was bizarre in the most awesome way haha 😂 Never in my life have I ever pictured myself hauling a 50 foot bull kelp out of the ocean & up a hill, dragging its tail behind me like the tail of a serpent from the depths of a flaming pit LOL Something to watch when I'm 115 years into things & to show to the grandbabies! 😊

Processing it involved breaking it up into those 4 foot lengths, initially. Then once I got it hauled home in my transport sleds & had my machete, cutting board, kitchen chopping knife & Shimano knife set up, along with a couple of big buckets. I split the 4 foot lengths into half as best as I could. THAT is easier said than done with the slip factor & the incredible awkwardness of handling this stuff.

I then cut those 4 foot lengths into smaller lengths, about 2 feet, then cut those 1 foot lengths into half again, and then one more time in half for easier handling.

Then sliced each piece into long segments, kinda like you would a cucumber for a salad. Think half a cucumber & splitting it lengthwise into triangular type pieces. Except I did about 6 pieces at a time, otherwise I woulda been at it for a week :nonono:

Then chop those suckers into bit size pieces :nodding: and dump them into the bucket until all 50 feet are processed. Then use then as intended. That fermenting-bucket-o-bull-kelp is going to stink-stank-stunk to high🔥 but the garden is going to absolutely LOVE it! My indoor plants are gonna get a nice fertilization boost over the winter as well :)

I got half of it processed the first afternoon - about an hour & a half because it was getting dark - and then spent another hour & a half or so the next day finishing chopping. Total process, about 5 hours, including the hauling & equipment organizing. The lessons learned LOL I will be better prepared next time after doing it once!

To say I was filthy is an understatement 😂It was fun though!😊

Yes, that's probably the correct word....it was an EVENT 🤣 I wish I coulda seen it too, because in the moment, all I can think of is HOW ARE YOU GOING TO PULL THIS OFF CHICK? THINK HARD & FAST! 😁

There is a first time for everything, and I was not going to pass that opportunity up. Like I do with a lot of stuff & situations, I figure things out in the moment using the tools I have available to me. And I did so! LOL

It's some beautiful stuff....truly amazing stuff....but that was a whole lot of very dirty, wet work LOL 😂

I love living where I do! Always an amazing adventure, even on quiet days :thumbs:
Just out of curiosity, where DO you live (general area)?

Small change, big difference! After making literally hundreds of batches in my usual 10-bar molds, I finally gave in and bought a 16-bar mold. I've been surprised by how different my first batch just went!
Recalculated all my measurements and soon discovered my usual bowls and cups were now too small. I had no more "feel" for the things I usually do "by feel" (like adding mica). And my kitchen counter became waaaay smaller as I maneuvered the extra long mold and bumped into everything else. And pouring out of a bigger jug....what a mess! Dripped batter everywhere! Feeling like a newbie all over again!
Now that I'm finally done, I'm wondering how much longer it may take to unmold this Goliath. And not sure how I'll cut it with my 12-bar cutter! It never occurred to me how different sizing up just a bit would feel!

Only had to work half day today! Made a batch of soap especially for pouring into cavity molds in Christmas shapes for a special order that came in last night and am packaging other items. I have on Hallmark type holiday movies for background and they just roll to the next one. Well, this one comes on and it’s set in New Zealand so of course I exclaim “maybe @KiwiMoose will be in this” - lol, because surely you must be as the Official Soaper of NZ….
😂🥰😂

I am both in awe and envious! I also would have gladly captured that event on video had I been there! And I cannot lie, I probably would have laughed way more than would have been socially acceptable 😄

🤣 In case you haven't noticed yet LOL I don't really do the whole 'socially acceptable' thing 😂 I am a spur-of-the-moment, jump-into-it-because-why-in-gods-name-not, bugger-anyone-who-judges, unapologetic-YES-to-everything-even if-I-end-up-on-my-arse kinda person.....and lord knows I am constantly laughing at myself 😁

I woulda been laughing right along with you....I was laughing about the bull kelp incident when I was up to my chestiness in sodden leaves, tarps, straw & soil today, dirt in my hair, on my face, from head to toe 🤣 How can I not laugh at myself?!? LOL I'm also constantly learning, taking joy in the lessons & having fun, even if I look to someone else like I've lost the plot 😊 I don't care! 😁

Say YES to everything ‼️ NO FEAR ‼️ :nodding:

Just out of curiosity, where DO you live (general area)?

On a little island which is off the East coast of a bigger island, about an hour drive into the bush, at the end of a dead end dirt road, a 3 minute walk from the ocean 😁

I made some CP soap today! Tomorrow we shall see if it might work the this month's challenge. The base color of the soap morphed, so there was a mid-course change of direction that might have mucked it up. Oh well, the top swirls look nice.

Next, I made a batch of lotion. While that was cooling, I started diluting some LS paste to whip up a batch of my SIL's favorite "bodywash" (which is really just @IrishLass' Creamy Cocoa-Shea LS). As I poured boiling water over the paste and additives to start them melting, I got the idea to put the glass measuring container in the microwave, instead of my usual canning-jar-in-pot-of-boiling-water setup.

Well, well, it turns out that the microwave works very well for diluting LS paste - who knew?! I did have to watch closely to make sure that the LS didn't puff up and out of the container while nuking it. But other than that, it was a pretty fast and easy process. Rather than hours on the stove, it took less than 30 minutes. About every 8-10 ten minutes, I nuked it for another 60-90 seconds to keep the dilution temp high so the paste would dissolve, and the added stearic acid would melt completely. Once most of the soap blobs were dissolved, the stickblender emulsified everything. A few spritzes of alcohol knocked down the foamy head, and voila - diluted LS in about 30 minutes. Yay!

I made some CP soap today! Tomorrow we shall see if it might work the this month's challenge. The base color of the soap morphed, so there was a mid-course change of direction that might have mucked it up. Oh well, the top swirls look nice.

Next, I made a batch of lotion. While that was cooling, I started diluting some LS paste to whip up a batch of my SIL's favorite "bodywash" (which is really just @IrishLass' Creamy Cocoa-Shea LS). As I poured boiling water over the paste and additives to start them melting, I got the idea to put the glass measuring container in the microwave, instead of my usual canning-jar-in-pot-of-boiling-water setup.

Well, well, it turns out that the microwave works very well for diluting LS paste - who knew?! I did have to watch closely to make sure that the LS didn't puff up and out of the container while nuking it. But other than that, it was a pretty fast and easy process. Rather than hours on the stove, it took less than 30 minutes. About every 8-10 ten minutes, I nuked it for another 60-90 seconds to keep the dilution temp high so the paste would dissolve, and the added stearic acid would melt completely. Once most of the soap blobs were dissolved, the stickblender emulsified everything. A few spritzes of alcohol knocked down the foamy head, and voila - diluted LS in about 30 minutes. Yay!
I've diluted mine that way. I just have to remember to write down the total weight before nuking so I can add more distilled water to replace what evaporates.

@Benjifrazer I love that landscape. The sharp details are amazing. Your colours work so well together. DId you happen to make a Youtube video on this batch? Your vids are very informative and I had taken your advice on the lard soap and it work sooooo well for swirls and stays fluid a long time (as long as the fragrance oil isn't being a jerk).

I have not made any soaps recently, as I am getting ready to go to Mexico for my daughter's wedding and there is a ridiculous amount of work to be done still and I leave on Saturday. I will be anxious to get back to get some soaps made for next year.

We took my grandson to Long Beach (BC) a couple of years ago. He'd never seen kelp like this.

Ethan and kelp.png

I’m learning so much about kelp.

Tried the Luna Swirl for the first time. I don’t expect it to come out very good, but I hope whatever the design is that it comes out pretty. Scented with champagne margarita and I used my slow moving recipe. I had so much time to do everything I wanted. Lovely scent too:

Attachments

• IMG_2593.jpeg
    IMG_2593.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back