What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't wait to see the cut pictures!

As for an experimental batch; will you be using color and fragrance?

I find 1 lb batches to be awkward in the mold as it's just too constrictive; the batter/swirl really can't flow.

Now that you've had your first color experience using mica mixed in oil, you may understand why so many of us like to just throw dry mica into the batter, stir and add more it needed! I do always blast for a second or two with a sb because it makes a difference in the color dispersal. Keep in mind my biggest batch is 10 lbs, so when you make 120 bars - you'll need a few more seconds.

I would be experimenting with color and fragrance, yes. And my 40 bar mold is scalable down to 4 bars, though that would be a tight working space. I have to say I was stunned to see how dark the brown mica made my pot contents. I really didn't use that much! That's where an experiment would have been helpful.
As for the FO, I had heard that it was good to wait til light trace before pouring as that would give you a better swirl, so I started coloring at light trace - which was a mistake for that FO. It took its time going to light trace, but once it started tracing, it moved quickly, which is something else that would have been good to know.

BTW, it has been many years since I used the 120 bar molds. Old age has slowed me down considerably. :rolleyes:

I guess I am ever the optimist? My mold is easily adaptible to smaller batches so it is just plain dumb to do what I did. Part of the learning process, I guess. I'll do better next time! (Maybe)

I'm used to making huge uncolored batches. I have two wooden slab molds that make 120 bars each. The only variation was the scent. This coloring stuff is totally new to me. I have to force myself to cut way back. How many bars would you call an experimental batch?

BTW... Thanks for taking the time to comment!
You're welcome!
The first batch of soap I made, "accidentally" made way to many bars. I've settled into doing around 1.5-2 pound batches that yield me around six-ten bars in a mold that is 17cm by 15cm. Sorry about my mix of customary and metric. 😏

I played around with oxides and some new FOs last night and this morning. For last night’s soap I used BB’s Fierce type for my BIL that likes cologne-type FOs. I also added a little bergamot EO to that one. The FO discolors to mauve or purple so it will be interesting to see if I pulled off a compensating color scheme. This morning‘s soaps were my first attempts at tiger stripes, or close. I made one with NS Somali Soul, which I’ve used before, and the other with BB’s Tobacco and Bay Leaf, which is new to me. I’m not sure if I will leave the little swirlies on the top, but who can resist…

2BF7011B-16A0-4EAF-A628-40E4DEDD70E0.jpeg

Kinda planning my next soap… Honey and Hemp.
Want to try out my new acrylic scraping tools. So I’m thinking 3 layers of a golden-tan-honey variety. A little strip of bubble wrap on top for the honeycomb effect and I’m thinking the leftover from scraping will be used for some piping.
Figuring out what I need and placing my orders. Got my mica and FO from Nurture-I always get so excited placing an order there. Then after a google search found makyourown.buzz for Hemp oil and was slightly disappointed when I paid through PayPal and discovered it was WSP! Not that I don’t like WSP, but now I’ve realized I won’t be making this soap for a while… assuming they are as slow as WSP. 😪

@Mobjack Bay my vote is... keep the swirlies! 😍🤩

@violets2217 yes, WSP bought MakeYourOwn, which had previously purchased SaveOnCitric and ChemistryConnection. So all three places (which I loved!) are now operated by WSP. 😢 They weren't particular fast before, but my most recent order from MYO took 7 weeks to arrive. Only 5 days of that was shipping time.

I just checked on my WSP order and the estimated shipping date is 9/21. Darn! I really need the deoderized cocoa butter wafers I ordered at a good price on sale. Due to all the bad vibes going around about WSP, I hadn’t ordered from them since 2019. According to the records in my account, they were shipping orders out in 2-3 days back then. I guess their strategy to counteract slow delivery is to try to develop a monopoly.

@AliOop vote counted ☑️

I just checked on my WSP order and the estimated shipping date is 9/21. Darn! I really need the deoderized cocoa butter wafers I ordered at a good price on sale. Due to all the bad vibes going around about WSP, I hadn’t ordered from them since 2019. According to the records in my account, they were shipping orders out in 2-3 days back then. I guess their strategy to counteract slow delivery is to try to develop a monopoly.

@AliOop vote counted ☑
Yeah, but be quiet about it. Every time I complain about wsp shipping times on here, my shipping gets pushed back. I am serious about this LOL. I was just joking about it the other day, but I am starting to really think this is real. Like some disgruntled wsp worker po'd about my whining LOL.

Estimated shipping went from the 9th to the 11th, now its up to the 13th. I ordered on the 28th of August. I'm not even talking about delivery time!! So by the time I get my order, it will be almost a month. Maybe they all got rona, I dunno...I would feel bad complaining about it if that were true. You never know...

I complained to my landscapers for not coming around as promised, only to find out that they all had corona at the same time. I wish they woulda just sent out a message. Had them for 3 years and was ready to find another company.

Whyyyyy didn’t I test the fo first?! 😿 this is the first time I’ve had holiday fragrances and I was so excited. I just believed the website when it said no acceleration. First layer I actually added it to my batter before the colors. It was almost a disaster. Hopefully it’s not terrible…. *Sigh*
Secind loaf I added it after color right before pouring and it was much better. But it was still more of a hustle than I expected based on reviews. But it is an amazing smell of pine, cinnamon, apples, and juniper!
Hopefully I learned my lesson. I actually wouldn’t have had enough to test it first. Oh well….
My hack plugging up the ends of the embeds and using a squeeze bottle to fill the cracks worked great though! Hopefully I won’t have to do as much spackling of air pocket holes.
I wish I was better at making videos.

Attachments

• 713D0506-D12C-4FD2-976C-7F488E9B3D5A.jpeg
    713D0506-D12C-4FD2-976C-7F488E9B3D5A.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 6074F54C-6528-4A40-8A5E-F449FF1C4675.jpeg
    6074F54C-6528-4A40-8A5E-F449FF1C4675.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 0268B2BB-BADD-49DC-AE33-124432B063BB.jpeg
    0268B2BB-BADD-49DC-AE33-124432B063BB.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 493A5CBD-41B4-4E71-BD1C-02E16D551436.jpeg
    493A5CBD-41B4-4E71-BD1C-02E16D551436.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 7FEBB558-119D-405F-A2FD-8311CBB65E1B.jpeg
    7FEBB558-119D-405F-A2FD-8311CBB65E1B.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 6879BA34-BA8D-46BF-8F16-69A8DCFCB1B0.jpeg
    6879BA34-BA8D-46BF-8F16-69A8DCFCB1B0.jpeg
    234.1 KB · Views: 25
  • E04BCC17-104F-4B07-A581-D013844BA96F.jpeg
    E04BCC17-104F-4B07-A581-D013844BA96F.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 32
Also, can “soapcrastinating” be a word? Like “procrastibaking”. It’s when I should be doing adulting stuff that I hate, but I make soap instead.
“I need to write that grant proposal, but I spent all day soapcrastinating.”
Can it also cover the stuff you do when you're planning to make soap but everything has to be Just Right first?
I.e. all the tidying and putting away of ingredients and sniffing things and wiping down of surfaces... Hours of activity but no actual soap to show for it!

Last edited:
Can it also cover the stuff you do when you're when you're planning to make soap but everything has to be Just Right first?
I.e. all the tidying and putting away of ingredients and sniffing things and wiping down of surfaces... Hours of activity but no actual soap to show for it!
Yes! But, I do consider that soaping. In the context I’m referring to, those activities would be done in order to avoid, let’s say, doing my taxes. But, yes, also works in that context too.

Procrasticleaning is an art I perfected when I was supposed to be studying, along with runcrastinating. :)

Back to today's regularly scheduled programming... sugar scrubs are done. Sadly, there wasn't enough left to fill the last jar completely, which means it must go into my shower now, where I shall be forced to use it up myself. Alas.

Attachments

• IMG_1502.JPG
    IMG_1502.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 39
I made rose geranium confetti soap today. Man - that stuff is STRONG! The whole house smells like rose geranium when you walk in the door. It's a 'cosmetic grade' EO ( so just smell and no therapeutic value) and it soaps sooooo well, very slow moving. I'm gonna order me some more!
View attachment 60742
Ooh it feels wonderful!!!

I have a new incubating set up for my two 7.5lb molds. I put both soaps in there yesterday at around 1pm. I thought I turned it off, but I accidentally turned it on low. That’s a scary fire danger! And, 18hrs later, this morning, they’re still pretty hot! Think they’ll be ok?
And the FO was beading up on top. It accelerated unexpectedly, so the top layers it may not have been blended in super well.
I’ve got them out of the frames and cooling. 🤞🏼

Attachments

• E8923942-96C7-4DF8-9C86-D8C325CA3128.jpeg
    E8923942-96C7-4DF8-9C86-D8C325CA3128.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 662D2306-2004-4ED7-B74A-7111C4B9B00F.jpeg
    662D2306-2004-4ED7-B74A-7111C4B9B00F.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
And the FO was beading up on top. It accelerated unexpectedly, so the top layers it may not have been blended in super well.
I hope they’re okay after all you did to make them! I think the heat could be responsible for the FO on top. I’ve had it happen a couple of times. I think I wiped it off, but have read that it will reabsorb.

Latest posts

Back