What oils are superfat?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sauboon

Reaction score
What can I use for superfat? Is sheabutter a superfat? What other oils?

superfat refers to the amount of free oil left in your soap, above and beyond a complete reaction w/the lye. The one true way I know of to "choose" which oil will be the superfat is to do hot process, and then add the desired fat at the end. Yes, you could use shea for that...and other butters, too.

I wouldn't superfat with crisco. ;)

Think of superfatting as something you do, rather than as a type of oil or fat.

When you add more oil/fat than your lye solution can react with, it is known as superfatting. It is basically unsaponified fat in your finished soap.

So really, you can superfat with any oil/butter/fat.... but depending on your recipe, your superfat percentage and whether you use the Cold or Hot Process method, you may end up with different results!

Everything already said is quite true and probably the most important info.

Just want to point out that some oils and butters (like unrefined shea butter) contain moisturizers that are more resistant to lye (unsaponifiable)... and therefore may be better suited to superfatting.

HP is still the most certain way to control it as said before.
I just did my first HP and used meadowfoam oil to superfat after gel was complete. The process was a bit clunky (need practice) but the soap is amazing! Can't wait for it to cure a little more.

I love crisco too ... and soybean shortening... and lard .. makes for a nice creamy bar with tons of bubbles. The bar usually has nice slip as well.

Back