What kind of soap can I make?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brenda

Reaction score
What kind of soap can I make ?? I can't use lye or any harsh chemicals? I'm doing M/P now thanks..
Brenda

you can make MP soap.

soap, by definition, is created by caustic (lye) reacting with fats.

Why can't you use "lye or any harsh chemicals"? Cause MP soap used that to make the base (unless it's purely a detergent product).

carebear said:
you can make MP soap.

soap, by definition, is created by caustic (lye) reacting with fats.

Why can't you use "lye or any harsh chemicals"? Cause MP soap used that to make the base (unless it's purely a detergent product).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are two reasons..
1 I have a memory problem
2 I have bad lungs and smells effect them..

Now did I understand you right that MP has lye in it? The smell doesn't effect me much..
Brenda[/b]

jadiebugs1 said:
I'm kinda confused by the question(s) and the question marks.... :? :?:

:oops: I guess what I was trying to say was (what other soap could I make besides M/P but folks tell me M/P really isn't a soap so I'm so confused.. I hope I came to the right place to straighten me out..
Brenda :roll:

There really isn't anything else.

Soap is made with a solution of lye & water plus oils. There is no lye left after the soap is made.

M&P is a base. It is either made with the above, or it's chemicals & detergents.

When you make soap with lye, you don't breathe in the fumes when mixing the water & lye. You can mix outside if need be. I mix inside, but I have my overhead exhaust fan on the stove while I mix, & I turn my face away from the bowl while I'm mixing. That's the only time there are fumes, except the odor of the fragrance oils or essential oils.

You're confusing me, because you're not telling me exactly which chemicals you can't come in contact with. Are you talking about breathing them? If so, which? Are you talking about skin contact? If so, which chemicals?

I suspect that brenda is also concerned about dealing with lye when having memory trouble - can't remember exactly how much was put in etc, hence, risk making lye heavy soapies.

I think some people buys cp soap base for rebatch, so that would be another way to go. In that case lye is already mixed with the oils so should be ok right? HTH...

M&P may have been made w/ lye but the lye is *gone* before the base gets to you.

You can also do rebatch. It is where you begin w/ CP soap that is cured (so again, the lye is *gone*), you shred it up, mush it w/ water and scent & anything else you like & go from there.

A friend

Good on you Brenda.
What about having a friend with you while you do a few batches.
I think you might find someone arround who wouldn't mind walking you through a time or two.
Think of someone you know who may even be a little bit lonely.Approach them about having coffee /soap making sessions.You could offer them some of the results as a way of saying thankyou.
That may give you a better idea of what you can achieve.
Have a white board with every step numbered and a little tick off box(essential) then you will know where you are up to.
Good luck.
:lol:

mandolyn said:
There really isn't anything else.

Soap is made with a solution of lye & water plus oils. There is no lye left after the soap is made.

M&P is a base. It is either made with the above, or it's chemicals & detergents.

When you make soap with lye, you don't breathe in the fumes when mixing the water & lye. You can mix outside if need be. I mix inside, but I have my overhead exhaust fan on the stove while I mix, & I turn my face away from the bowl while I'm mixing. That's the only time there are fumes, except the odor of the fragrance oils or essential oils.

You're confusing me, because you're not telling me exactly which chemicals you can't come in contact with. Are you talking about breathing them? If so, which? Are you talking about skin contact? If so, which chemicals?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OK please bare with me..
Its breathing chemicals.. My lungs won't take it..Anything that has much of a smell... All cleaning products I have to stay away from.. Candles, laundry soap the list is so long.. perfume.
Plus I have sensitive skin as well..
Brenda

GrumpyOldWoman said:
I suspect that brenda is also concerned about dealing with lye when having memory trouble - can't remember exactly how much was put in etc, hence, risk making lye heavy soapies.

I think some people buys cp soap base for rebatch, so that would be another way to go. In that case lye is already mixed with the oils so should be ok right? HTH...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you/ you got that right..
Brenda

Re: A friend

starduster said:
Good on you Brenda.
What about having a friend with you while you do a few batches.
I think you might find someone arround who wouldn't mind walking you through a time or two.
Think of someone you know who may even be a little bit lonely.Approach them about having coffee /soap making sessions.You could offer them some of the results as a way of saying thankyou.
That may give you a better idea of what you can achieve.
Have a white board with every step numbered and a little tick off box(essential) then you will know where you are up to.
Good luck.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That's a great idea most friends works..
What is cp???? is that cold pack??
Brenda

Friends

Yes Brenda it's a busy world and most people do work.
But that still over looks the fact that down at your neighbourhood centre or somewere safe like that will be some one a little bit lonely that would jump at this chance.
Please be carefull.Don't get just anyone.Talk with the centers management and ask them to buddy you up with someone safe.

Re: Friends

starduster said:
Yes Brenda it's a busy world and most people do work.
But that still over looks the fact that down at your neighbourhood centre or somewere safe like that will be some one a little bit lonely that would jump at this chance.
Please be carefull.Don't get just anyone.Talk with the centers management and ask them to buddy you up with someone safe.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh did I forget to mention.. WE don't have such a thing in our hometown.. We don't have gas station or grocery store.. If we want to go to the mall its over two hours away..
Brenda

Back