What kind of olive oil to use for infusions and where to buy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PregandSoaping

Reaction score
I want to make my own massage oil, maybe a mix of olive oil, apricot kernel oil and a bit of jojoba. However, I want to infuse some herbs, maybe just chamomile and plan on using the crock pot method.

My question is, pomace or extra virgin for the olive oil? Should I buy from the grocery store or soaperschoice? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I would use either one. Grocery store one should be fine. For me, I find olive oil too heavy. I prefer almond instead of olive.

I am with Soap Buddy in that I don't like too much OO in my massage oil blend. I do use a small amount of EVO in one blend, but much prefer adding either jojoba, grapeseed, hemp seed, and/or avocado to either sweet almond oil or apricot kernel oil.
Experiment away and I am sure you will find a blend that you like!
As for where to buy, if you only need a small amount, the grocery store is fine. If you are wanting a lot, if you have a Sam's club by you, they have great prices for a gallon.

I have used oo for herbal infusions and it works well for herbs that have strong scents. For more delicate fragrances, I prefer to infuse with almond oil.

Would using a blend of oils work for an infusion? Maybe throw some apricot kernel, grapeseed, and sweet almond in the crock pot with a mix of calendula and chamomile? Will the oils mix together properly?

Back